+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Highest Threat since 3.3?

Highest Threat since 3.3?

I tanked all of ToC as blood and was happy with my threat. Patch 3.3 hit and it was like my frost presence got turned off. I've been trying frost but I still have threat problems unless it's for AoE. What have you guys found to be the highest threat spec since 3.3?

If I'm not mistaken DKs in general got a threat buff, through that ability that everyone just binds to their other abilities. I think it's Rune Strike. Other than that, I have nothing to add. My DK doesn't tank anything.

Yes, rune strike got a buff - by 7% if memory serves. That doesn't seem to have made a difference in my tanking.

Rune Strike was buffed because of the avoidance loss from CotT. Fewer dodges means it's available on a smaller percentage of swings, roughly 40% by most WMO parses I've seen. This makes DK threat a bit more RNG-ey than it was before.

I can't comment on your blood spec because it looks like you ditched it to try frost. As far as your frost spec goes, the primary thing I'll mention is that Frost 2h is generally accepted to have less threat than Frost DW. I've tried both and can report about a 33% threat increase with identical ilevel weapons and the same rotation when I switched (permanently, I'll add) to DW.

Your spec is also a bit wonky. I don't understand why you took Icy Reach, you really should take taken Black Ice, and you lost a lot to pick up IIT. I'd also reglyph completely - GoFS and GoOblit are going to net you MUCH better single-target threat, as GoIT is a very poor Frost tank glyph in general (we're about snap, not ToT), and GoRS is a nice threat glyph over the course of a fight but makes your threat even more RNG-prone. I'd ditch GoDis for GoHB, as I've found a single-disease rotation seems to be the way to go for frost and rime procs are going to have you HBing even on a single target.
    Last edited by the KRIS; 12-29-2009 at 10:42 AM.

I expected the spec and glyphs to be "wonky," as you put it. I've been trying everything I can new and old to try and get my old threat back. The IIT I pick up for raid purposes but everything else I'll try going back to again (I just respec'd about 2 hours ago). I'm trying to get my hands on a 2nd 1H to DW frost tank for the purposes listed above but nothing yet. Once I try a couple more things (including the glyphs and possibly some DW) I'll post again. l'd love to hear how the threat is for those that stuck with blood or went unholy post 3.3.

I guess I should ask you to be more specific about your threat issues. You're talking about your threat output in ICC with CotT reducing your number of opportunities for RS, yes? How specifically do you mean your threat is bad? If you mean you're losing single-target aggro, that's a huge problem. If you mean you're losing aggro to AoE DPS, that's a smaller problem - blood's intrinsically going to have lower AoE threat, so just let the other tanks do their thing and pull out the nastiest single mob from each trash pack for yourself. If you mean you're losing aggro to, say, a prot pally, that's a separate issue - annoying, but not your fault. Prot pally threat is absolutely ludicrous atm, and I typically find on bigger trash pulls in ICC I have to hold way back to avoid peeling everything off the other tanks.

AoE threat as frost isn't so much of a problem. Like you, I have to be careful not to get all but one mob in a pack of 6+. I'm holding my own against dps, so it's not a problem, per se'. However, if I'm going head to head with a druid or warrior tank with something like Icehowl, I'll lose aggro to them in a fairly small amount of time. These are tanks that usually sit as OTs to me since my threat used to be so good. Against paladins, well...we won't even get into that.

People think it's subjective, but for raiding, Blood is the single best single target threat spec. Period.

It is subjective. Omen says my single-target threat gen is nearly identical as blood 2h or frost DW. Really all the specs have acceptable single-target threat, so that's kind of a non-issue. Most progression DKs seem to spec blood, presumably for the awesome EH.

AoE threat is another issue - as blood, I have basically no hope of catching up with the snap AoE of any other tank class, and have to rely on them to round up the little crap while I grab the single most dangerous mob out of the pack.

I also have done some heroics as blood, where I've previously used my frost spec for heroics. It's manageable, but DPS definitely has to wait until after the first blood boil if I'm to have any hope of retaining threat. Of course they don't, especially in PUGs, so I spend a lot of time tabbing through to HS as many as possible and occasionally have to actually taunt. Imagine that, losing aggro in WotLK! It's craziness!

Ultimately it's fine, it just takes more finesse than all the other tank specs. It actually makes tanking challenging again, which is a nice change!

OMEN is also not very accurate at reading tps, it just registers only a portion of the combat and parses that continually dropping old numbers for new ones, thus being inaccurate. the only true TPS calculation is by going through combat log parsers

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Edgewalker View Post
    People think it's subjective, but for raiding, Blood is the single best single target threat spec. Period.
    I've got very competetive numbers from both 2h blood and dw frost, the caveat being that dw frost must utilize two slow dps weapons in order to reach blood's numbers.

From a threat-centric perspective, either spec can be more than what your dps need to not pull aggro. From a practical tanking perspective, I agree blood is a much more flexible and probably stronger overall tanking tree.

I've yet to get to try DW frost but I have resolved to tanking heroics/trash as frost (2H due to my lack of weapons) and bosses as blood. Yes yes, I know two slow 1H will up my threat but the HB is hard to make up for in blood on multiple/AoE mobs. I can only say that I must have had an offday the day my TPS was lacking. I am back to having to back off of other tanks when I'm not MT or doing something like Gormok which most certainly makes me happy. Now, to have someone report on how unholy's threat is doing...

+ Reply to Thread