+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Army of the Dead - When to use it?

Army of the Dead - When to use it?

Let me first say from my experience tanking with my warrior with other DKs that I'm a little pre-disposed to not like AOD. Have seen way too many instances where it is used at the wrong time. However since I'm now leveling a DK and looking into trying DK tanking as an off spec, I'm curious...

When is the right time to use AOD? Either as blood dps or frost tank.

What the use of AOD? It just doesn't seem to fit into any heroic/raid rotation or situation (save for maybe phase 2 of Blk Knight in TOC) that I've noticed and seems to usually cause more harm than not. So I'm interested in hearing from experienced DKs regarding this issue.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

In a 5 man i wouldnt recommend it cause they taunt off the tank incessantly. In a raid use it on fights without adds since raid bosses are immune to pet taunts. Example: pop them before you pull Marrowgar.

In 5 mans, AoD taunting off the tank is only sometimes a problem.

If positioning matters for that fight (Conic breath weapons, Cleaves, Tail Swipes, etc) then it is really bad.

If it is just a generic tank-n-spank, the only problem is that it can annoy the tank. If you are the tank, go for it. If you are a DPS, check with the tank first.

In 5-mans: whenever you feel like you'll be completely swarmed and want the ghouls to tank a while. I like to use it on wave-9 in halls of reflection, or on accidental (or purposeful) mass-overpulls in various other heroics. If you drop a good dnd, spread your diseases while the ghouls are tanking, you should have an easy time picking up what's left when the ghouls drop dead.

In raid: I liken it to our LoH, except it's pre-emptive mitigation. I used to use it on stuff like Council hardmode (to eat a final punch) when i knew i would want that hefty amount of mitigation (equal to your dodge+parry). In ICC with less dodge it's migitating less (ofcourse), but it's still handy to pop when you can see a bit hit coming and you have the runes to spend on it. I've found myself using it more often for a little added dps these days, but i'm certain there will be more defensive uses when ICC hardmodes drop.

This will take you directly to the section where I discuss AoD:
    http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f14/5...tml#post337868
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

Whenever something doesn't have a nasty directional ability (think Cleave) and speed killing is of the essence.

Nearly every time I've popped Army of the Dead I've regretted it.

Although it works well when The Black Knight pops his....that's good times. ;-)

If you have a competent tank never pop AoD on black knight. the tank will have no control of the ghouls that will pop nor move the boss away from said ghouls.

Not while I'm tanking please.

True Knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
    Agg's tanking guide

Zyffyr is right, any fight where positioning and such is important, the adds are a bad idea.

Every other fight, just pop them. The tank may complain, but that's because tanks are a bunch of twits who think they know everything, but never stop to think. The ghouls will reduce damage taken by massive amounts, they are targets for a lot of annoying abilities, Like Skadi's whirlwind, and when a tank knows his business, the ghouls will give him just about all the threat he needs.
    Sure, the boss will be out of control. But you remembered not to pop them on bosses where that control is important, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

I always get DKs in PuG that pop em on the worst possible times.

VH last boss: breath + aggro wipe I can't recover from due to lack of rage
    CoS last gauntlet part: first of all WHY?? and second, GG making it easier for me to spot the elite ghouls in between the normal ghouls and the friendly ghouls
    HoR: At the end, about 10y before the Lich King, with about 3 caster mobs in there, good luck getting those back out as tank.

That said, AoD for me is a solo ability, 'cuz nobody wants to help a DK levelling anyway :P. It's an awesome ability for solo'ing elite quests or helping in a pinch when tank dies or dc's, but if you ever pop it for damage, you'll get awarded a Vote Kick from me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Quote Originally Posted by WarTotem View Post
    I always get DKs in PuG that pop em on the worst possible times.

VH last boss: breath + aggro wipe I can't recover from due to lack of rage
    CoS last gauntlet part: first of all WHY?? and second, GG making it easier for me to spot the elite ghouls in between the normal ghouls and the friendly ghouls
    HoR: At the end, about 10y before the Lich King, with about 3 caster mobs in there, good luck getting those back out as tank.

That said, AoD for me is a solo ability, 'cuz nobody wants to help a DK levelling anyway :P. It's an awesome ability for solo'ing elite quests or helping in a pinch when tank dies or dc's, but if you ever pop it for damage, you'll get awarded a Vote Kick from me.
    Really? I actually don't mind it at all, as long as it's not a "positioning" boss as mentioned earlier. In fact, I love it. DK pops army right off the bat, the little ghouls spam taunt off one another, they get to around 100k threat, I taunt once, now I'm at 100k threat, and I go afk and eat a sandwich and have aggro the rest of the fight. And I'm only slightly kidding.

Taunt doesn't increase threat, so taunting in the end will only give you as much threat as a single ghoul could've possibly done.

And yes, a well placed AoD can help DPS, but half the time it fucks up the situation more than it's worth and tbf, I don't really need that much DPS in my group if I can do 2.5k as a tank.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Army of the Dead only taunts non-raid bosses, so for "only the boss is around" situations, it's all good and a straight dps increase.
    When there's tauntable stuff nearby, it's fine to Army as long as the mob's position, facing and targeted abilities aren't a big deal. Good examples include Anub during swarm, gormok at any time, marrowgar at any time. Bad examples include saurfang(maybe? the beasts will be taunted), deathwhisper adds and anub with burrowers nearby.

Actually the tanks in my guild don't usually worry about it so much, it's the Rogues that have a moan usually because they can't be all backstabby when the boss is doing his twirly ghoul dance.

Some good uses for Army I've seen:

- When the snow mounds are out of melee range of Hodir if going for a hard mode kill
    - Before the pull on Faction Champions or during their Bloodlust
    - The very last stages of Heroic Anub'arak when you're juggling burrows and taking a boatload of damage
    - Before the pull on a Sarth 3D zerg attempt

And the most comically bad time:

- While whelps are first spawning on Onyxia - those little undead bastards will run into the whelp caves

Quote Originally Posted by WarTotem View Post
    Taunt doesn't increase threat, so taunting in the end will only give you as much threat as a single ghoul could've possibly done.
    True, taunts do not always generate threat, but those ghouls do. I'm not sure why, but they generate a LOT of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

I had a perfectly good Anub'Arak 25 attempt ruined yesterday because a nub popped Army and pulled the adds off the ice.

Dylae

Please don't use on tauntable bosses -_-' drives me crazy.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Since my main is a tank, I know that it can be really annoying when it's popped, especially on bosses that need to be pointed a certain way. When I'm on my DK, I always ask if they want me to pop it, since usually there are encounters where it will be more beneficial than others (i.e. the last HoR wave or something like that), or Black Knight phase 2 if you plan to just aoe the adds to oblivion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    Please don't use on tauntable bosses -_-' drives me crazy.
    Eh, for some like Ichoron it's actually a boon...it drops his shield really fast.
    BK p3 is also a good one...they can get marked, reducing the damage taken by the players, while also adding the dps.
    For those like Ingvar... Don't >.>

+ Reply to Thread