+ Reply to Thread

Thread: War Tank: Rimefang's better than Falric's?

War Tank: Rimefang's better than Falric's?

Thread says it all. For a general tanking set, which is better?

Falric's for block set obviously, but is Rimefang's overall better?

Go with Rimefang, you are basically trading out 30 dodge for 30 block and getting extra weapon dps along with it.

falric's has block... you know... and i... have a shield and stuff...

Yes, but generally dodge is going to be better then block in that dodge is avoidance and blocking is only mitigating a bit of the damage...

Grom

Yeah why block an attack when you can dodge it while only getting a very small increase in chance to block over chance to dodge. Honestly if you already enchanted Falric with Mongoose it isn't worth switching since it is almost an insignificant upgrade because of no imorovment from EH and a very small upgrade from the extra avoidance.
    Last edited by krc; 12-28-2009 at 08:54 PM.

thanks all. i have both, but havent chanted either while i decide which to use while badge farmin... ill go rimefang

One is an avoidance weapon one is a block weapon. Keep them both, switch them based on scenarios. I use falrics for my 100% avoidance set (Well ICC throws a kink in that with the debuff. My set is an 80% set now.)

The time you wouldn't want to use rimefang is when your dodge is so high its subject to such intense diminishing returns, that block rating gives you a longer survivability horizon.

ICC bosses hit soft and fast. Block is an EXCELLENT mitigation stat for it. That being said the dodge will most likely reduce the damage you take over a certain time horizon.

Also, if your block value is only at 1000. Just drop falrics. The only time block rating is worth it, is if your block value is actually near cap and does some significant mitigation.

I'm liking Falric's for the daily dungeon.
    Xíanth <Valkyria>

Quote Originally Posted by Pattyfathead View Post
    One is an avoidance weapon one is a block weapon. Keep them both, switch them based on scenarios. I use falrics for my 100% avoidance set (Well ICC throws a kink in that with the debuff. My set is an 80% set now.)

The time you wouldn't want to use rimefang is when your dodge is so high its subject to such intense diminishing returns, that block rating gives you a longer survivability horizon.

ICC bosses hit soft and fast. Block is an EXCELLENT mitigation stat for it. That being said the dodge will most likely reduce the damage you take over a certain time horizon.

Also, if your block value is only at 1000. Just drop falrics. The only time block rating is worth it, is if your block value is actually near cap and does some significant mitigation.
    Okay first off, there is no block value cap, there is only a cap as to how much block value goes into the damage increase to shield slam (and the pally equivalent) which is around 3600 BV. As far as the amount of damage you can block, there isn't a cap.

Secondly... no... ICC tanking mechanics do not... may I repeat... DO NOT... change the order of which avoidance (and i count block in this field since it is essentially an RNG dice roll as well in this context) is preferred. Dodging is ALWAYS better than blocking, no matter how much BV unless you have enough to block at 15k attack, which I'm guessing you don't. ICC bosses still hit harder than previous instances, however they do not hit as hard as they would have if CotT had been implemented. Therefore block is still below dodge on the preference scale. If for some reason you were building an unhittable or a block set, then yes, choose the weapon with block, but for ICC you will still preference avoidance over blocking. I cannot stress this enough. It would be extremely hard given current gearsets to imagine a situation in which your dodge DR would be so high that block becomes better.

TL;DR: use the dodge one (I think that's Rimefang).
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

IMHO - I would use Rimefang's for Raiding/Progression and Falric's for Heroics & Trash mobs. I have both and the Titanguard which I'm still using because of the +Hit in ICC. I may swap to Rimefang's the next few times we run ICC though and make up the difference with +Hit food. I like the extra +Str and Dodge on the Rimefang's vs. the Titanguard too.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollux View Post
    IMHO - I would use Rimefang's for Raiding/Progression and Falric's for Heroics & Trash mobs. I have both and the Titanguard which I'm still using because of the +Hit in ICC. I may swap to Rimefang's the next few times we run ICC though and make up the difference with +Hit food. I like the extra +Str and Dodge on the Rimefang's vs. the Titanguard too.
    And it just looks that much better
    I'd second the "RF for Raid/Progress, Falric's for Hero/Trash" idea, too.

I can't stand the look of Titanguard, and with Rimefang's you actually get a better tanking sword, given you're not way too low on hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyran View Post
    And it just looks that much better
    I'd second the "RF for Raid/Progress, Falric's for Hero/Trash" idea, too.

I can't stand the look of Titanguard, and with Rimefang's you actually get a better tanking sword, given you're not way too low on hit.
    It does look better than the Titanguard!

My guild has taken down Marrowgar twice on 10 man (#3 scheduled for Friday). He's been stingy but I'm confident he'll soon cough up Bonebreaker Scepter - Item - World of Warcraft which I'm quite excited about.

I'm still using Ardent Guard =(

WTB tanking axe prz.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Apollux View Post
    It does look better than the Titanguard!

My guild has taken down Marrowgar twice on 10 man (#3 scheduled for Friday). He's been stingy but I'm confident he'll soon cough up Bonebreaker Scepter - Item - World of Warcraft which I'm quite excited about.
    Good luck, I'm 0 for 3 so far.

Bah...maces and swords...BAH I say. Us orcs need some axes to cleave faces with.

Falric's is an axe... so is Troggbane. Best we sword-users can get is Facelifter.

Not that I really plan to see Troggbane anyway, but still. ;-)

I like Falrics, its about as good as I'm going to get in 5 man's, I never get to do 10s or 25s.

I used Rimefang's because I'm human and I get expertise boost but whatever floats your boat, 30 block rating didn't make much difference for me either considering how hard bosses hit now and how little you block; might as well dodge.

+ Reply to Thread