+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shaman Healing is Too boring

Shaman Healing is Too boring

Now I have a level 80 shaman that I got to 80 around the the end of 3.1. It was fun healing with him at first, but now it's pretty much just spamming chain heal until the desired effect is had.

Recently I went back to my priest that I haven't played in forever as well, and Healing as Holy is SOO much more fun to do.

tl;dr Discuss if <class> healing has become boring or more entertaining.

I have a 73 shaman who I've been healing instances since 3.3 came out. It's not so much fun, as it is just easy as hell.

Earth Shield, riptide, cast chain heal once in a while, things die.

I also have a 71 disc priest who is a bit less geared and has zero heirlooms(the shaman has four). The disc priest is more fun, but also takes a bit more practice and knowledge to use well! Also the lack of bloodlust is no fun, and no totems!

I have the problem of trying to lie down totems on every one of my characters once in a while xD.

I tried disc on my priest but I liked AoE healing more than damage prevention.

I find shaman healing a little more interesting than it was last expansion, really. That was REALLY just spam chain heal endlessly. Now there are at least reasons to cast other spells. Riptide is a nice addition.

It still doesn't really hold a candle to tree druid on the fun level but I don't want to poke my eyes out like I would as a holy pally either.

This thread makes me actually want to go home and instance grind my resto shaman. I want to go do nexus for the 10th damn time!

I actually switched from a holy priestess to a resto shaman myself. I find both interesting, though in different ways.

And no, I don't just spam Chain Heal. In fact, out of the four ICC 10 bosses so far, only Marrowgar and Lady Deathwhisper see me using Chain Heal to a significant degree (even then, it makes up less than half of my healing). It's practically not used in the Gunship Battle or on Deathbringer Saurfang (except when a melee DPS happens to get a mark).

I have to agree.
    In fact, I grew so bored of it that I quit my Restoshaman in February, because I just couldn't stand it anymore.
    Yeah, sure - You have Riptide and LHW - yeehaa. Other healing classes have soo many more tools at their disposal,.. I'm actually sad that I stopped leveling my Priest for the Shaman.

But well, what can you do... Now I'm playing a Protpala and that is great fun

MMM, disc priest in instances. MMMM FUN!

Nothing said fun like binding chain heal to your mouse wheel and scrolling it during BT/Sunwell while watching a movie in the other monitor.. /endsarcasm

I stopped playing shortly before ICC, but shaman healing was somewhat fun on fights like heroic NRB25 and twins... though I found myself falling asleep when we had more than 2 tree druids/priests in the raid. Shaman healing gets more fun as you utilize more of your heals.. my suggestion if you're bored with shaman healing? Run a 10man.. you'll find yourself having to try harder and utilize more of the skills given to you than just chain heal and earth shield
    [2-07-08 08:57 AM] Enelrad: hahaha, that and you're ugly! Ugly tanks tank better
    [3-19-08 02:23 PM] Enelrad: Im really a 12 yr old boy from GA
    Notice: You are currently banned from the shoutbox.

Sad thing is I'm in a 10 man guild, I did ICC 10 and I still used chain heal more than anything.

If you spam chainheal, yeah you can get through things, but if you actually alter your tactics, it does get varied.

Cast Chain Heal
    Consume BOTH Tidal Waves charges (if heavy healing, use HW; if no healing needed, top up tank with LHW to proc Ancestral Healing)
    Riptide (generally on tank)
    Consume Both Tidal Waves charges

Using this rotation, I find I am doing my fair share of healing (top 3 heals in 25 man), and running 30-40% overheals (which is actually pretty decent). HW on Tidal Waves results in more effective HPS.
    If I spam chainheal and nothing else, which actually is needed in some fights, I run 60+% overheals, and I do worse on heal meters. Which is to say, the other healers are better at the overhealing (they run 70% in the same fights).

By the same token, a holy paladin can be reduced to HL spam, a holy priest can spam CoH and PoH, a druid WG and rejuvinate, and so on. If you CHOOSE to use the other tools, I think you will find it more palatable, especially holy paladins who use the various Hands.

I just with I rolled a priest before a shaman, because priest healing is so much more fun. I'll try to break up the monotony with shaman healing but usually spamming chain heal is just more effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakshata View Post
    I'll try to break up the monotony with shaman healing but usually spamming chain heal is just more effective.
    It rarely is in 10-player raids. For example, if you're using Chain Heal more than occasionally on Deathbringer Saurfang, then either you're wasting a lot of casting time and mana, or your raid is letting him generate way more Blood Power than he should be allowed to.

Out of all the ToC 10/ICC 10 fights, only Twin Valkyrs and (to a lesser extent) Lady Deathwhisper are Chain Heal friendly fights. In all other fights, Chain Heal is either a tool among many or even a poor choice. (25-player raids can be a different situation, of course.)

I am sprinting to 80 on my little shaman, having made 77 last night and she is a ton of fun to play but admittedly, I solo almost exclusively in elemental. Mind you, I'm rolling with garbage quest gear and heirloom weapon/shoulders.

I have healed some 5 mans....too long a wait as a DPS, and I have found healing challenging as a shaman, mostly mana management. Poor gear, I suppose. (yes, I am dual specced ele/resto) I healed most of BC as a resto druid so I have healing experience.

The point I want to make concerns last night when I dinged 77 and had the final 'Ursoc' quest left to complete in Grizzly Hills. Its a 3 player group quest and I solo'd it but it took me 3 tried. You get an NPC to take a role and I asked him to tank. I tried it as resto, launching my fire elemental and just healing the snot out of the bear tank NPC. I went OOM super fast and eventually lost the tank and died. I tried again with the same result. I tried a 3rd time as elemental and got it done. Mana was much less a problem as I kept Flame Shock up, hit a Lava Burst and cast heals on the Clearcasting while contributing damage to the boss.

And this has been my experience coming up. My gear bites, true, but in Elemental, especially now with the FS/LB crit mechanics + Clearcasting, I'm never out of mana. Yet, as full resto, I'm generally sucking fumes. When healing, I'm always getting paired up with weak tanks that are DPS desperately trying to get instance runs by BSing their way into dungeonsm as tanks.

Druid healing is far different what with rolling HoTs and what not and I guess holy pally would be the true polar opposite but shaman healing is still much different. Boring? Perhaps at lvl 80 with better gear and a competent tank. I can see that. In raids? I really couldn't say although I really like this character and I intend to keep playing her quite a bit. I'm really not satisfied with my tree healing. Its multi dimensional and I don't feel proficient with it unless I am immersed in it...I can't pick it up occasionally and be as good as I want to...and that's sorta the problem with having multiple alts.

Shaman healing is pretty stright forward. /shrug
    your hat may be nice, but I have the little white tank top that says Legendary right across my boobs. I win. (or more correctly, H wins)

+ Reply to Thread