+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dodge question in ICC

Dodge question in ICC

I am sure that the answer to this has been posted already and i appolgize. I have been doing a ton of research on raid strats from tankspot.com and havn't had time to look this up really.

the Dodge reduction debuff you take in ICC has kind of led me to believe that dodge shouldn't really be a focus of mine and i should be turning my attention to other stats like defense and stamina and other stats that improve mitigation.

However, i have noticed there is a ton of gear in ICC that drops some very impressive Dodge stats. WTH? is blizz trying to make up for gimping our dodge to begin with?

Particularly when it comes to the comparisons of my 1h weapon. I have been using Last laugh from naxx and prolly will continue to use it over rimfang's claw and one of the major reasons is the dodge. If you are taking a major reduction in dodge then wouldn't last laugh be better for starting out in ICC?

The 20% dodge reduction doesn't mean that dodge is useless, quite the opposite really. I'm not sure if you were around in Sunwell but the radiance changed the way we gemmed and chanted.

True Knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
    Agg's tanking guide

Ignore that IC Radiance exists. Just continue gearing as you would outside the raid zone. Net gain your stats, boost EH as high as you can. Parry is still bad to gem for.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

ICC radiance targets dodge because every tank uses it as an avoidence stat. You cant knock parry cause druids are unscathed and you cant knock stam and armor cause the root problem was at the end of ICC your end avoidence would be too great to make realistic boss encounters around it. Nothing has changed continue to gear like you have its just there because blizz never expected to hit this high level of avoidance.

The 20% dodge reduction doesn't mean that dodge is useless, quite the opposite really. I'm not sure if you were around in Sunwell but the radiance changed the way we gemmed and chanted.
    Where there tanks that were stacking dodge stats? Im a MT in our guild so i have always gone EH in my gear so i am not up to date on what other tanks have been doing.

you cant knock stam and armor cause the root problem was at the end of ICC your end avoidence would be too great to make realistic boss encounters around it.
    guess im confused about the avoidence part. If they want to nerf our dodge...then why have gear drops in ICC with so much of it. There are items in there that have tons.

Not to say that i have no intentions of using the gear should it come my way. Its too hard to pass up for other content but in regards to ICC im kind of unclear as to why.

Quote Originally Posted by mahssi View Post
    Where there tanks that were stacking dodge stats? Im a MT in our guild so i have always gone EH in my gear so i am not up to date on what other tanks have been doing.

guess im confused about the avoidence part. If they want to nerf our dodge...then why have gear drops in ICC with so much of it. There are items in there that have tons.

Not to say that i have no intentions of using the gear should it come my way. Its too hard to pass up for other content but in regards to ICC im kind of unclear as to why.
    It doesn't change the "value" of dodge at all. A 1% gain in dodge is still a 1% gain in dodge. Just because you're going from 8% dodge to 9% dodge instead of 28% to 29% doesn't make it more/less valuable.

First off, Kaze has it correct. The debuff should have no effect on how you choose gear, if you truly understand how to gear a tank. This will help educate those who blindly stam stacked without understanding WHY we did that for the content they are running, just as the previous content challenged blind avoidance tanks.

OK, to recap.

The 20% debuff occurs AFTER diminishing returns. So if you were at 25% dodge, you needed a set amount of dodge, with the first little bit relatively unaffected by diminishing returns.

After the debuff, you are left with 5% dodge. To go to 6% dodge, it takes more effort than before (because really, you are trying to go from 25% to 26%, which is subject to diminishing returns).

Whereas dodge on gear prior to ICC was targetted to give, say 1% dodge to a tank with 25% dodge, the new gear will give 1.5 to 2% dodge, but they realize that this means the tank is now at 6.5-7% dodge rather than 26.5-27% dodge.

If they made the debuff less (say 15% debuff) and gave less dodge on gear, then people wouldn't have much incentive to swap gear. If they made it worse (25% debuff), they would have to nerf initial content so that people would survive it, and basically cap people until they did get the new gear, which also carries problems. I think 20% is what they feel is the threshold where it will make tanking in ToC gear will find it challenging yet possible, and the gear upgrades worth chasing after.

Simple answer Parry has greater diminishing returns. Without Radiance you would sit at 70% avoidance with hardmode gear. Either the boss will crack you to .5% health or healing is a breeze with you going on avoidance hot streaks. We still are gemming for Stam thats not changed neither are the stats we are looking for gear.

Quote Originally Posted by timitim View Post
    I am sure that the answer to this has been posted already and i appolgize. I have been doing a ton of research on raid strats from tankspot.com and havn't had time to look this up really.
    This is going to sound more snide than I mean it (lack of tone of voice in print) but...

If you are confident the answer is already posted here (and it is several times over in multiple forums), why are you starting a new post?

In the time it takes you create a new post you could just as easily have searched and found one of the several threads labeled "Gearing in ICC" "Dodge vs Stam in ICC" "Dodge in ICC" etc.

Otherwise your question has been answered, I don't need to jump on that pile. =)
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

+ Reply to Thread