+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Glyph of Sunder and Glyph of Devastate

Glyph of Sunder and Glyph of Devastate

Hey yall I was thinking of coming back to the tanking game. I am currently a fury warrior with pretty decent gear and as usual my mind is starting to wonder to other specs. Tanking happens to be the other spec.

I used to tank back in BC and was the MT for our guild in kara until I had school issues and had to step down. Right now Im just looking to offpec with an aoe build and Ive found a good amount of info for that here and I got a build down, but glyphs are kinda shady.

I know glyph of cleave is a must, but I am wondering about the other 2. Ive thought about glyph of devastate and glyph of sunder. The question I have is if you get double threat from the sunders they put up, I was also wondering if the glyphs stack to where you put 2 stacks on 2 targets for ultimate threat gen.

I did search and try and find something, but I will admit I am not the best at find things through search functions on a forum, so if this is up somewhere please feel free to link that post.

Glyph of devastate and glyph of shockwave for the other 2.

The World of Warcraft Armory

True Knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
    Agg's tanking guide

Devastate
    Shockwave
    Cleave
    Sunder Armor

In that order of 'usefulness' for heroic tanking threat/DPS
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Glyph of Sunder is terrible imo. The only thing it does is increase the damage you do to a target when you switch to it. Since you're not actually hitting the target with glyph of sunder, it only adds the innate threat without modifiers which is like 200 something threat. It gets no bonuses or threat modifiers from devastate, and the devastate glyph does not effect the sunder glyph. This is all true unless something has changed, but so far no one has stepped forward to prove me wrong. I haven't used glyph of sunder over a year because literally the only fight it might be useful on is twin valks.

Here's my opinion of order of need of glyphs for heroics.

cleave
    taunt
    devastate
    shockwave
    vigilance
    last stand
    shield wall
    anything else other than sunder armor
    sunder armor

I may be undervaluing sunder armor a little bit but frankly... they're heroics, you could probably still do it with glyph of execute, glyph of mortal strike, and glyph of bloodthirst, but imo there are a lot better options than sunder armor and I also disagree with wartotem and think that glyph of cleaving is by far the most important glyph for heroic tanking.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Well I knew I was going to pick up glyph of cleave, I just needed to figure out the other two. From what I see in yalls posts, devastate and shockwave are on top as the other glyphs I will get. Like ya said its just heroics so it wont kill me too much if there is something better, but Id rather not go in there with something like glyph of circle of healing (yes I know there are class limitations on glyphs =P)

I used glyph of sunder for pretty much from when I hit 80 to somewhere around 3.2. Unless there's been a change since, you get nothing but the base sunder threat on the second mob. you're better using something else in the glyph spot instead and tab-devastating.

Small correction Aggathon;
    * It's about 800-1000 threat depending on gear
    * It does buff Cleave damage (as it targets the same mob for it).

So with that you might probably wonna put this one above Glyph of Rend. That's about it
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

As long as you get Cleaving you're okay. I'd go Blocking before I'd get Sunder or Devastate. You'll have a ton of block value whether you go looking for it or not, and that's going directly into your single-target threat (Shield Slam), AoE threat (Damage Shield), and survivability.

I disagree about Glyph of Sunder in certain fights. For example anub hard mode. Not only does it help with threat a bit but, the melee that can cleave up their dps with this. Especially if you tab through targets. thats 4 adds that will get a slight dps boost.

I highly doubt I will be tanking anub, much less on hardmode. This really is only for heroics since I am top guild dps. Wouldnt want to give up that spot now would I =P

My Glyphs are:

Blocking
    Devastate
    Cleave

Thunderclap
    Commanding Shout
    Bloodrage

For me, the only one that's non-essential, is the Shout duration one...

Shockwave might be a choice, but seems lackluster, for a Major Glyph, and I would hate to swap it for any of the other Majors. Next in line, behind Cleave, though...also, I have a macro for TC/Cleave that I like to use, at times...
    Last edited by Blue; 12-30-2009 at 11:22 AM.
    -"Just like a buzzin' fly, I come into your life, I'll float away, like honey in the sun..."--Tim Buckley

I have no explanation why, but I seem to see a noticable improvement in AoE threat when I've got the Glyph of Sunder. My theory was spreading around the extra sunders throughout the group while I was tabbing and making my tab Devastates hit harder sooner.

I keep in the Glyph of Blocking all the time. For chain pulling heroics I might go Sunder + Cleaving and switch to Devastate + Last Stand for raids unless I need something encounter specific.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    I haven't used glyph of sunder over a year because literally the only fight it might be useful on is twin valks.
    On 10 man it's trivial to sunder both twins if you do the stacking strategy (which imo you should). Haven't tanked it on 25 man so I can't say, but it's probably not hard then either.

I may be undervaluing sunder armor a little bit but frankly... they're heroics, you could probably still do it with glyph of execute, glyph of mortal strike, and glyph of bloodthirst, but imo there are a lot better options than sunder armor and I also disagree with wartotem and think that glyph of cleaving is by far the most important glyph for heroic tanking.
    When I leveled to 80 I used Glyph of Sunder Armor. Then I dropped it so I could learn to properly AoE tank. I found out just how much of a crutch it was for me. I also discovered that Glyph of Devastate is a net gain, especially if you tab target.

So yes, Glyph of Sunder Armor makes learning heroics easier. Although with today's overgeared dps and static aoe threat on the glyph, it might not actually help you that much. I would honestly recommend you learn to get by without it.

+ Reply to Thread