+ Reply to Thread

Thread: About tankpoints addon

About tankpoints addon

I have long been confused reading the thread on theorycrafting for tank stats. I'm no longer sure what to do with a new piece of gear when I get it. I know EH is a good thing, but avoidance imo is almost better and counts as effective health because the boss/mob didn't hit you.

That said, I was wondering if any other tanks out there have been using the tankpoints addon? Is that addon accurate for damage reduction and how adding stat points affect reduction? I only ask because I seem to be taking quite a bit of damage from bosses and mobs and I feel like I'm taking too much damage, like there is something I'm not doing right. Either that or I just have lazy healers lol

Below is a link to my armory. Tell me what u guys think. I'm feeling a little lost.

The World of Warcraft Armory

Quote Originally Posted by Korrgoth View Post
    but avoidance imo ... counts as effective health because the boss/mob didn't hit you.
    No. By definition, EH is a measure of how the combination of armour and health you have will allow you to survive under sustaned hits that you don't avoid. Avoidance has no place in there because EH is explicitly defined without avoidance. If you want to include avoidance, derive your own formula.

EH and Tankpoints are tools used to measure gear performance. EH isn't perfect because it always gives you a worst case scenario on survival (it assumes you never avoid). Tankpoints isn't perfect because it always tries to incorporate avoidance (there are a nonzero number of unavoidable attacks out there.) Both fail against magical attacks. You really should just learn to take a look at how damage comes in from what you're tanking and choose the correct gearing for that fight. (Of course, as your gear improves over time and so does your healers' and dps' gear, the "correct gearing" for a given fight changes over time as well.)
    Last edited by Satrina; 12-25-2009 at 10:50 PM.
    Got a question? Try here: Evil Empire Guides and here: Tankspot Guides and Articles Library first!

Both values are important. EH defines your worst case scenario as Satrina mentioned. Anub'arak freezes you and then starts piling on the damage - can you survive it?

Tankpoints is one indication of how good your overall tanking stats are. It does seem to favor avoidance a lot. It's a good way to measure of how much you're helping your healers. Fights are no longer tank & spank and healers have to take care of other stuff too - the less they have to spamheal you the better they can take care of the raid. Tankpoints is a good (and one of many) way to measure that.

Use both. Tankpoints has a EH module built in so you can check both out. I typically run with 4 sets of gear: an EH set, a max-HP set, a threat set and one Tankpoints set. I swap regularly between them depending on the fight

If you want a way to smartly gear for every boss other than Gunship and Saurfang use this Maintankadin • View topic - "New" EH - incorporating different damage types into EH. For the majority of bosses EH is the right choice because you will die to unavoidable damage and with in a few seconds and on a boss like Marrowgar that hits the same way every time but is spiky avoidance relys on RNG too much.

For example Gormok, Gormok will kill you with a Melee, Impale, Bleed combo, the only part of this combo avoidance will help against is the melee, and when the melee hits which will happe eventually you will be insta-gimped if you are stacking avoidance. Another good example is what Tazlek said which is the Anub'arak freeze. N-EH is very good because it incorperates magic damage into your EH calculations so that you can find a right stam to armor ratio for each boss.
    Last edited by krc; 12-25-2009 at 11:05 PM.

Thank you all for your help. I guess I wasn't taking unavoidable damage into consideration. I think that's where I'm getting slaughtered the most. Avoidance is probably best for aoe mobs and 5-mans...
    I will still look at the tankpoints addons value for mitigation and EH, but "with a pinch of salt". I know from reading the users guide to tankpoints that the tankpoint value itself is fairly meaningless. But I'm wondering if the EH and Total Reduction(%) from the tankpoints calculator are representative of the formulas derived for EH and Reduction and should I be using this to tinker around with potential stat changes? Either that or I'm just going to plug the formulas provided into my calculator and play around with it. Just trying to save some time.

+ Reply to Thread