Thread: DK Tanks and Koralon

DK Tanks and Koralon

Do any other DK's have difficulty OT'ing (let alone MT'ing) Koralon?

I can get my health into the 40k range and I stay stacked on the MT while avoiding fires. I also keep Blade Barrier going 100%.

My rotation is...

FIST 1: AMS
    FIST 2: AMS + UA
    FIST 3: AMS + IF
    FIST 4: AMS + UA
    FIST 5: AMS + AotD
    FIST 6: usually I die at the end of fist 4 or 5

[EDIT: I should mention that I do NOT have Acclimation. So here's another question.. in your experience, how easy is it to maintain a 3 stack Acclimation on Koralon as OT? Further, is it a significant help to damage mitigation on this fight? Maybe that's why I'm having the problems I'm having?]
    Last edited by Felycitas; 12-26-2009 at 08:48 PM.

It would help if you were logged out in your tank gear. You seem to be frost DW spec, but you're using a dps-runed QD and have some resil gear equipped, so it's hard to tell how you're setting yourself up.

There's no real reason you should be getting crushed, DK is probably the best-suited tank to big predictable hits. I'd say the fault either lies with your healers or your gearing, but it's hard to tell which.

Can you dodge/parry/miss the Meteor Fist as an OT? If not, gear shouldn't matter beyond damage reduction (62% from armor) and health (~40k).

I can tank Emalon or his adds and not even need IF, but every time I try to tank Koralon as an OT I just can't go the distance.

Quote Originally Posted by the KRIS View Post
    It would help if you were logged out in your tank gear. You seem to be frost DW spec, but you're using a dps-runed QD and have some resil gear equipped, so it's hard to tell how you're setting yourself up.

There's no real reason you should be getting crushed, DK is probably the best-suited tank to big predictable hits. I'd say the fault either lies with your healers or your gearing, but it's hard to tell which.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Felycitas View Post

Can you dodge/parry/miss the Meteor Fist as an OT? If not, gear shouldn't matter beyond damage reduction (62% from armor) and health (~40k).
    This.

..but at least until I start logging in/out again, armory should show me in tank gear though it's not 'accurate' as of this post. It doesn't seem to be showing the effects of frost presence OR Horn of Winter.

The World of Warcraft Armory

Really what I'm after is personal experiences from other DK tanks on this fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Felycitas View Post
    It doesn't seem to be showing the effects of frost presence OR Horn of Winter.
    Armory never showed that FYI.

You are geared fine for Korolan if you use your cd's wisely (which you seem to be), Only reason I can see you dieing is standing in a fire/slacking healer/taking a complete meteor fist by yourself.

You log can tell more.

I've tanked it many times with no issue. I also haven't tanked it in a while.

If memory serves you can avoid the Meteor Fists, but they come fast.

I've tanked it as Blood with minimal focus on avoidance, so the key was being healable. And really, Meteor Fists is only so much a survival test for the tank, it really requires healing. You can use your CDs smartly to ease the burden but even then it is going to require your healers spamming a bit to keep you up. Bacon of Light is a winner here, my Holy Pally friend can just about solo heal the tanks with Bacon and the ability to stand still during Meteor Fists while spamming Holy Light. Not a strategy I'd recommend, but it is that sort of split damage intensity.

If you're dying on the 4th or 5th Meteor fists I'd wager your healers just aren't quite up to the longevity task (meaning they gear like everyone where mana doesn't matter, but they don't have the efficiency to support their healing power to keep you alive that in that long of a fight).

Acclimation shouldn't be hard to maintain here and it should be a pretty respectable about of mitigation, particularly as the fight goes on. If you want to try that it may be easier.

Are you running this with pugs or a more standard team?

Also, as far as stats go, check how much it hits you for against your buffed health total. If two hits will kill you that will make it pretty possible for the healers to just miss picking you up if they're even a little slow or momentarily distracted when the Meteors start. (I think on my DK, who is pretty well-geared at this point, it was 15k hits against a 50k health pool, so I could take 3 hits without dying provided I wasn't standing in fires).

And generally, I don't think it has anything to do with the class of the tank, though class of the healer might make it easier or harder.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

Is the raid standing in fire and draining the healers mana? Are you moving the boss so the dumbass melee aren't standing in it or are you just tanking him in a corner somewhere?

Using AMS and IF I have been able to take the last 2 Fists solo after our OT died, so it is not a matter of gear or any special ability rotation.

The only assumption I can make is that you are simply not getting any heals. There is really no way you should be dying to those with any sort of capable healer in the raid.

If you truely are the OT and not taking 100% of the fists, and are stacked on the MT, there should be no reason for this fight to be hard.

It's pugs so I can't speak for the awareness of the healers. "I" know that Meteor Fists is 15 seconds, there's no raid damage during the period, and the tanks need massive heals and 100% attention. ..but yeah, I dunno if they know this :P

..and it's only been recent since I've started paying more attention to combat logging so I'll have to wait until the next time I can get in to see how I do in the logs.

I have DBM so it screams at me if I'm standing in fire so I know that's not happening.

What do you think about dropping one of the stamina trinkets for a 20 second on use armor trinket? I can pop that on the 5th Meteor Fist where all I have is AotD and AMS.

Quote Originally Posted by Satorri View Post
    my Holy Pally friend can just about solo heal the tanks with Bacon
    mmhmm healing pork...

anyway, that your getting to the 6th round of meteor fists gives me the feeling that this a lack of DPS, every 20 seconds he gains +5% more more damage, if meteor fists is cast once per minute that +15% damage each round of meteor fists you go through. so round 6 is +90% damage i can't rrecall getting a further than a fourth round of fists with my guild without it getting hairy on the healing. c

Every 45 seconds is a Meteor Fists.

I just see Paladin/Warrior tanks (haven't really seen many Druid tanks on him) go the distance without any issues. Does block also reduce damage of that magnitude?

So I FINALLY got back into a VoA 10 as a tank and got a log of it. I went through the log and pulled out the Meteor Fist damage (which I'll post for anyone else curious about it). I take back every concern I have about my skills or gear as none of that matters. In fact, the way the damage looks, I bet it would be the same against someone in cloth. Not sure if you need to be defense capped or not. This WAS a successful kill so that's why it ends after the 3rd fist. Also, the timing is every 2 seconds on the hits.

f = me as OT
    c = a warrior MT

1: AMS at the start (you see this)
    2: UA + AMS at the start (you see the AMS but you don't see any (or it's really small) benefit from the UA)
    3: IF + AMS at the start (you see the AMS and you see just how helpful IF is)

1:

4060 (f)
    15135 (c)

11530 (f)
    12857 (c)

17511 (f)
    15011 (c)

14699 (f)
    17851 (c)

17847 (f)
    13413 (c)

14439 (f)
    15223 (c)

17451 (f)
    16018 (c)

2:

4682 (f)
    14987 (c)

15730 (f)
    19211 (c)

14929 (f)
    16331 (c)

21428 (f)
    17465 (c)

19395 (f)
    13414 (c)

15822 (f)
    15741 (c)

19758 (f)
    15321 (c)

3:

2952 (f)
    16115 (c)

2216 (f)
    15083 (c)

12826 (f)
    16779 (c)

11392 (f)
    14858 (c)

12914 (f)
    12856 (c)

10385 (f)
    20118 (c)

11211 (f)
    19557 (c)
    Last edited by Felycitas; 01-02-2010 at 02:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    mmhmm healing pork...

anyway, that your getting to the 6th round of meteor fists gives me the feeling that this a lack of DPS, every 20 seconds he gains +5% more more damage, if meteor fists is cast once per minute that +15% damage each round of meteor fists you go through. so round 6 is +90% damage i can't rrecall getting a further than a fourth round of fists with my guild without it getting hairy on the healing. c
    Just to reiterate. 6 meteor fists seems like an awful lot. His fire damage debuff is also quite high at that point, call it a soft enrage timer.

I remember the first time I did this on 10 man we took 4 fists. I remember because we solo-tanked it and it went: Last Stand, Shield Wall, PS, double-ko with Koralon.

I don't recall any 25 man fights lasting much longer either.