+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Leveling as a protection warrior?

Leveling as a protection warrior?

Will leveling as a prot warrior go just as fast as fury / arms?

I'm kinda curious because it's different than the normal and now boring DPS leveling.. What are the benefits?

Thanks on forehand

Depends on a lot of factors, I leveled prot but i had a pocket healer so I just grinded every instance from deadmines to lvl 80.

If you're on your own, healers will be hard to find and you will end up questing a lot more than that, which prot will slow your questing down.
    Your ad could be here.

I wouldn't advise prot until you get to outlands, but omg I loved prot at level 70. I quested faster and was already decently geared as soon as I hit 80.
    True Bonding Occurs when you wipe your raid and then your raid wipes you in return - Tarigar

Well, plan on doing a combi of both questing and doing instances.. I thought of the idea to keep chain pulling alot of mobs all the time.. in that way, wont questing/Grinding do just around the same amount of damage as any damage build?

Just cuz you're prot spec doesn't mean you'll be able to solo tank/kill a bunch of mobs without heals, you could probably hold more mobs as DPS spec since you can kill them quick
    Your ad could be here.

I leveled as prot from 70-80 and had no trouble along the way, very powerful but helped that I had dps gear just spec'd prot. Ciderhelm and Murdog both were server first 80s both spec'd prot from 70-80 (murdog beat cider by a few minutes i think, cider was first alliance).

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Leveling as prot really isn't a bad idea in my opinion.
    I leveled 1-80 on my prot warrior and every time i switched to the other specs i found it much harder.
    It's nice because you can hold a lot more mobs then other classes and specs. and yes, you don't kill them as fast, but you sure as heck don't die from it.
    Also, levling 1-80 prot will get you WAAAY more practice for tanking, so your not one of those kids that hits 80 and has only been tanking for a few levels.
    As long as you run as many instances as possible and quset on all your downtime inbetween, you'll be perfectly fine.

I am currently leveling a warrior as prot (just hit 51 since the weekend - lol RAF) with a pocket healer. I was originally arms, but it seems like I do the same if not more damage at low levels as prot, plus have increased survivability, and a good interrupt before you get pummel.

Oh, and warbringer is the best thing ever invented.

I will try the Prot things out.. But first, anyone got a good build? i've comed up with this one myself Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

But seriously.. It seems all wrong, but then again, i know nearly nothing about warriors..

Thanks again

I would go for something more like this one I am using to level

You wont be stance switching very often (if at all), or using intervene. Shield wall will be very situational, and it is unlikely that you will need it more often then once every 5 minutes.

You could also try the Deep wounds build, but I am not sure how effective it is non raid buffed

I've been leveling prot on my warrior since the mid 40s, I actually find it very enjoyable. It feels less grindy to me than when I was leveling arms, and I do chain-pull ALOT, and I rarely leave Defensive Stance also. Right now I'm using a spec that I found either here on on WoWwiki, and I also have the leveling shoulders, so that does speed things up a bit as well. And my warrior is an alt also, so I almost never play him without a big chunk of rest. It's worked well for me

Trying to level tank spec...

BENEFITS
    All quest rewards will be tank gear. Meaning you won't wind up loosing things like the hammer of quiet mourning, or somesuch which is amazing for tanking for quite some time simply because you got the arms/dps reward instead. Easier to get into instances to get gear to help you go faster. Etc.

DRAWBACKS
    You will die.

A lot.

Mostly because tanks are designed to soak up damage... with a healer around. We're made to generate threat, not damage. We suck at damage. So what winds up happening if you try to "chain pull" through mobs, is that you'll wind up stopping because "I can't hold any more! They'll kill me!" and then... respawns... and mobs wondering into agro range will pick up on you... and the pack of them will take you down, where Arms or Fury can hold more chain pulling because they don't just pick them up, they kill them almost as fast. Less time a mob lives = less damage. Now once you're geared, at 80, like I am now, you'll find only one in every 7-8 attacks hits you... and you take maybe 1k damage over an hour.

But you aren't at that point yet.

But by far the biggest benefit to leveling prot is that you will have a MUCH greater understanding of prot's abilities, shot rotations, damage AND threat generations... you'll be able to handle stance dances easier than the next guy, and you'll have a much greater appreciation for your fellow tanks when you're raiding and need 2 - 3 tanks.

In the end I decided to level tank... it was slow going till about 45-55... but it was worth every day of it.

If your dying as a protection warrior doing solo PVE, I would suggest you try out another class.

Quote Originally Posted by Karisita View Post
    Trying to level tank spec...

BENEFITS
    All quest rewards will be tank gear. Meaning you won't wind up loosing things like the hammer of quiet mourning, or somesuch which is amazing for tanking for quite some time simply because you got the arms/dps reward instead. Easier to get into instances to get gear to help you go faster. Etc.

DRAWBACKS
    You will die.

A lot.

Mostly because tanks are designed to soak up damage... with a healer around. We're made to generate threat, not damage. We suck at damage. So what winds up happening if you try to "chain pull" through mobs, is that you'll wind up stopping because "I can't hold any more! They'll kill me!" and then... respawns... and mobs wondering into agro range will pick up on you... and the pack of them will take you down, where Arms or Fury can hold more chain pulling because they don't just pick them up, they kill them almost as fast. Less time a mob lives = less damage. Now once you're geared, at 80, like I am now, you'll find only one in every 7-8 attacks hits you... and you take maybe 1k damage over an hour.

But you aren't at that point yet.

But by far the biggest benefit to leveling prot is that you will have a MUCH greater understanding of prot's abilities, shot rotations, damage AND threat generations... you'll be able to handle stance dances easier than the next guy, and you'll have a much greater appreciation for your fellow tanks when you're raiding and need 2 - 3 tanks.

In the end I decided to level tank... it was slow going till about 45-55... but it was worth every day of it.
    I completely disagree with this. It's very very easy to not die while levelling as prot. You shouldn't be taking much damage at all. That said, this is coming from the perspective of someone who levelled from 70 to 80 mostly in gear obtained from raid tanking at 70, so maybe it's just different for tanks in quest gear. But I've talked to people who have done it, and they said it was quite easy.

Once you get Devastate, Protection is a fine leveling spec. Until then, I would advise an Arms/Fury build.

I leveled 1-80 as protection.

Well i guess from 10-80 as protection lol.....

True Knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
    Agg's tanking guide

I leveled up to 60ish as fury and tbh it was a pain. Then again i was never very good with melee dps classes.
    Pulling big groups would mean I was dead. Getting unexpected aggro would often get me dead.

Once I went prot, most of my problems disappeared. I was mainly in quest gear (or bs crafted gear since i'm BS) and I never had any problems with it. Kills may be slow but they're pretty much granted. You can even pull several mobs and survive.
    The only problem I see is that due to the low dps, you may have some problems with casters which aren't stunable/interruptable.

I'd say prot is the way to go.

Ok...so I have a question for the masses, since we are talking about leveling a tank as prot. My current spec is arms, but I keep wondering how it is to level as prot...and I see alot of people spec for the Improved Charge. Am I missing something here, because my tooltip says charge can only be used in battle stance?
    Last edited by Rominoodle; 12-28-2009 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Edit: **Please ignore my noobish comment for I didn't look far enough into the Prot tree for Warbringer**
    Noob Prot Pally - Armory

Warbringer is a protection talent that allows you to use Charge, Intercept, and Intervene all in any stance, and it also gets rid of movement impairing effects when you use those abilities. That makes it so that Imp Charge is a very useful tanking talent, for the extra rage on charge. Warbringer is the best thing that ever happened to WoW imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Reev View Post
    Warbringer is the best thing that ever happened to WoW imo.
    Not to WoW PvP

More on topic: You'll probably level very fast now as protection since your dungeon queues will probably be instant. My friend got to 60 in a few days on his newly made prot warrior.

+ Reply to Thread