+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Death Knight

Death Knight

Armory: The World of Warcraft Armory

Hi, Death Knight tank here. Just curious as to what I should be Gemming/Enchanting for stats. My DK Class leader said to go with parry but that just doesn't seem right.

In my armory Link i'm DW peacekeeper blades, but i also have the h pos axe for 2H tanking.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Gem and enchant for as much stamina as you possibly can. If your going to be striving to tank in ICC, Dodge will be almost useless, but Parry still isn't very good. Stamina is just the way to go, it makes for less spikey damage overall.

Btw, if your going to be DWing as Frost (which is fine, I didn't take a look at your spec but you should be fine) you really want slow/slow weapons, as in 2.6/2.6 dps weapons both enchanted with Nerubian Carapace. That gives much much much more threat, equals high Oblits, etc., and w/ Nerubian you barely lose any Defense, and you gain as much stam as from SSG.

Hope this helped!
    ~ Revanchist
    :3
    "You can't spell 'slaughter' without 'laughter.'"
    ~ Kailee

i've noticed that with the 2 peacekeeper's Killing Machine (5/5) procs a shit ton because of the faster weps. is the amount of threat those constant crits generate better or worse than if i got slower weps. Also, what should my hit/expertise be at t dw tank effectively.

That may be true, but that is one of the very slim benefits of dual wielding fast/fast. As a Frost tank you will be using Obliterate, Frost Strike, etc., and with a higher weapon damage you will produce soooo much more single target threat, and you will still see enough Killing Machine procs to be able to happily stroke your e-peen with 30K Howling Blast crits.

Hit, if it's over 200 you should be fine.

Expertise, isn't required, but 26 is the soft cap to strive for.

Hope this helps,
    ~ Revan
    "You can't spell 'slaughter' without 'laughter.'"
    ~ Kailee

Alrighty then. i'm currently just below expertise cap and my hit's fine too. what weapons should i try to get to replace the peacekeepers? i love them because they give great midigation and a gem slot + expertise, and putting the nerubian rune on each puts me at about 574 defense which is very tasty as well. anything comprable to those that would give a big threat upgrade? the h pos tank swords seem nice, a lil more damage and theyre slower, but no expertise or gem slot is kinda crappy. suggestions?

would it be better to tank with a 2H wep or to tank with DW? I hvae heard DW having trouble with threat
    Last edited by leetsauce; 12-29-2009 at 08:04 AM.

From personal experience and what i've read elsewhere, DW has potential for better threat. It also can give better stats than a 2h weapon. heres a scenario that might explain a little bit better how DW can mean more threat.

Boss fight. Killing machine will proc more often due to there being more melee hits. If spec'd into it, whenever you crit with a killingmachine-frost strike or an obliterate it will do damage with both weapons, in two seperate strikes, both critting.

so in other words...

2 crits, regardless of value, produce more threat than one crit.

Runestrike will also proc more, but typically if you are dual wielding it will hit like a wet noodle, because its damage only comes from the main hand weapon.

So if you can get 2 dps weapons, such as 2 tankard o' terror or some combination of a slow dps wep and a tanking wep, you'll be in good shape for threat.

currently im at 7.6% hit and 7.2% expertise. Expertise and hit is more important with dual wielding because unlike a 2h, you're constantly hitting. and eveery hit you miss is that much less threat.

so basically, if you do it right, DW kicks the living crap out of 2h. (but if you get a badass wep like the shadowmourn or the axe off the first boss in icc stick with 2h because its just that cool.)

thats my two cents

No, for tanking, DK or not, you *MUST* get at least 26 expertise first off. That is your most important threat stat.

After that, make sure you have a good amount of avoidance and enough hit(including talents) to enable you to reach 8% for specials.

In ICC, do not ignore dodge. Even with Chill of the Throne, dodge is a much better itemized stat than parry. Don't just throw parry to the wayside, look at the bonuses you get to both. The upside that Chill of the Throne seems to have, but I am not sure, is that DR is reduced since you are at 20% less dodge.

I'm also liking more armor, using two of the ardent guards for DW tanking. I switched out from the ardent guards to two 2.6 weapons, but I am not seeing that big a threat difference.

Does anyone know of any addon that can record threat trends? I mean saved data not just real time like Omen.

+ Reply to Thread