+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Addons, Memory, and You

Quote Originally Posted by Djtk View Post
    As I posted I have a Intel Duo Core 2.8gh with a 8600gt card and 3 gigs of ram but can encure slow fps.
    I think your question belongs more in its own post rather than in a sticky like this as troubleshooting your individual performance doesn't pretain to the topic of the sticky.

im playing at a Intel i7 920 system, with 6gb trichannel ddr3 memory, even so.. i still think a whole lot about my gaming performance and the grafical enviroment. tho, still need to find a situation of lagging due to fps

Quote Originally Posted by Satrina View Post
    When talking about addon performance, you really need to consider two things: How much memory the addon consumes, and how much of your computer's processing time (CPU time) it uses. Of the two, CPU time is by far the one you should be caring about the most.
    Please, excuse me for my ignorance, but isn't hard drive access or database sizes issues which can affect performance? I really don't know enough about the topic, but I'd like to know more.

Addons that add colors to abilities when out of range can be quite a CPU hog (Buttonrange, Redrange to mention two).
    I'm no lua expert, but I think I read somewhere that it has to do with the way the frames is updated (and how frequent it does this).

This is an good example of addons being lightweight in the memory department, but using quite a lot of CPUtime.

AddonProfiler appears to be broken... for any reason it does not show anything. Tried different time frames, different scenarios (e.g. ooc, infight, party, raid, pvp) but after the testing period there are only "--". Need help

Quote Originally Posted by Daxwax View Post
    Addons that add colors to abilities when out of range can be quite a CPU hog (Buttonrange, Redrange to mention two).
    I'm no lua expert, but I think I read somewhere that it has to do with the way the frames is updated (and how frequent it does this).

This is an good example of addons being lightweight in the memory department, but using quite a lot of CPUtime.
    The same goes for any addon putting anything on the action buttons AFAIK. I remember seeing OmniCC take up a lot of CPU time too in my tests with Bartender4 for the bars. Nothing which kills FPS, and I believe people when they say there's nothing they can truly do about it - I just suspect the buttons are programmed in a weird way.
    SQUEAK.
    -- (The Death of Rats, Terry Pratchett, Soul Music)

Old computer, 1gb memory, broken video card with no graphics acceleration that can still somehow push 1920x1200, and I have no issues from addons. Memory has never been a concern.

Badly coded addons are a concern. Don't use unmaintained fringe nonsense. Don't have unnecessary addons loaded for critical things like raiding.

Unload addons with option house:
    http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...tionhouse.aspx

Use addonswitcher to change profiles quickly:
    http://www.wowinterface.com/download...nswitcher.html

Get dynperf if you have fps issues:
    http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...s/dynperf.aspx

Buy a decent SSD if you are thinking of spending money. Yes, it will let you visit Dalaran without being horrified by the lag.

Addon memory used to cause lag (Vanilla WoW era). The Lua scripting system would garbage collect (GC) addon memory, every once in a while go through everything stored in addon variables and check to see if it was still being used. If not, it would clear out the space for future use. With lots of addons using lots of memory, this took a noticeable amount of time and showed up as brief lag. Lag in the middle of Blackwing Lair was bad. I even had an addon that would trigger GC that I would run before combat. TBC introduced a new continuous GC process that broke the job into small bits so you never saw noticeable lag from GC. Unfortunately the myth persists that addon memory = lag and people to this day use that as a measure of quality of an addon.

That isn't to say that addons won't cause lag and many posters in this thread have already pointed out some that do. Any addon that looks at incoming combat messages will slow down in AoE. Addons that try to do big chunks of work every frame drawn on screen will also cause framerate issues. Addons that try to communicate with other people running the same addon can also cause issues.

The above mentioned OptionHouse will also profile addons for CPU usage, you may want to try that to see which addons might be impacting framerate.

Quote Originally Posted by mutagen View Post
    With lots of addons using lots of memory, this took a noticeable amount of time and showed up as brief lag. Lag in the middle of Blackwing Lair was bad. I even had an addon that would trigger GC that I would run before combat. TBC introduced a new continuous GC process that broke the job into small bits so you never saw noticeable lag from GC. Unfortunately the myth persists that addon memory = lag and people to this day use that as a measure of quality of an addon.
    The garbage collection slowdown was notorious back in the day for sure. Ultimately, though, that was a limitation of the Lua 5.0 interpreter that was in use at the time, and not necessarily the fault of addons. Even very well-written addons that had high memory useage were subject to this problem. It wasn't until the patch where the client was changed for TBC to have the newer Lua 5.1 interpreter built in that the problem really went away.
    Got a question? Try here: Evil Empire Guides and here: Tankspot Guides and Articles Library first!

Hey.
    when i looked att the fury warior movie from tankspot i got todaly sold.
    i maked one warrior and start to lvl 45 then i start to look after some cool/good addons.
    I whanted the cool range thing on midle of the scren in the movie. and i think its iceHUD right =??? so i tryed it and it will not work thee wey i whant it to....
    in the movie it filled upp then more range u gott but mine is like a wired random stroke. and it moving armond then more range i get and when i get 100 range it fill upp the bar. ( my english suck hope you understand me ) // 1 : you´re range bar was filled upp then more range u got but mine is first red and att the side of the bar, then redd and dstill att the side of the bar then i got 100 range the stroke move in to the bar and fill it upp .... hope u canhealp me i whan it as in the movie... and again hope u understand me =)
    thankes =D
    Last edited by and.eng; 06-01-2010 at 01:14 PM. Reason: wrighted wrong

lol

u have one to old verision of the addon u need to download the newest one ==))

+ Reply to Thread