+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Good HPS but below avg spells

Good HPS but below avg spells

I have been pouring over some of the more progressed priest available in WoL and have come across something I'd like some help in. My HPS is very good, but some of my spells (not effected by IFH and EH respectively) in both specs are below the average with those in the same SPower/Crit range. Mainly CoH and PoM. The only thing I have come up with is that the site's ehps tracker is a greater weight for those who are primarily tank healing over raid healing. I'm on a very small server with no bleeding edge progression guild and appreciate any input.

World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis

Pls ignore the Anub fights but have at the rest.

The World of Warcraft Armory

Check that your spells are the highest rank possible.

One common mistake with dual-spec is if you upgrade spells without manually doing it to the other spec, you'll be left with using the lower-ranked spell without notice. Something to do with the UI saving the bars in its "current" state when not in use or something.
    Healing is the source of life. Without it, you're left with death.

All spells are at max rank. Funny you mention that though, our GM has an addon letting you know when you downrank something.

Possibly a talent issue or a raid make-up issue?

When I mean talents, I mean maybe some of the talents may or may not contribute to throughput and purely focus on lesser aspects of raiding such as your own survivability and resistance to debuffs possibly.

Raid make-up depends on the size of said raid. 10-mans usually don't see much of an increase in throughput due to few factors that increase spellpower or any other aspects of throughput directly. 25's can drastic push it to about 25-50% more depending on buffs such as "Demonic Pact", "Tree of Life" aura, "Improved Devotion Aura", "Divinity" and to a lesser extent crit and haste bonuses like Air Totems and Boomkin auras.

But this is merely speculation. The meters also just count effective healing at that so it's based on how much damage you heal and not including overheals. If it included overheals then it would clearly be up there.

Plus it doesnt have to be the big heals on just ONE person. You can still achieve the same number by multiple raid heals for the average amount as well.
    Healing is the source of life. Without it, you're left with death.

I looked over your Holy spec and saw that you have 4/5 Spell Warding and 3/3 in Blessed Resilience, which leads me to think that your Holy spec may be more of a PvP spec.

My advice is to move some of your talents around. I use Imroved Renew, but not Empowered Renew or Blessed Resilience. Instead, I invested talents in 5/5 Empowered Healing, which when maxed increases your GHeal by 40% and your FH and BH by 20% of your healing bonus effects. That alone will put a lot more bite into your heals.

Also, put another point into Test of Faith, it's really worth it.

Another suggestion is to replace either Glyph of PoH or Glyph of CoH with Glyph of Flash Heal, which will help you save a considerable amount of mana.

I'm not as geared as you are, you have almost 400 more SP than I do, but I can put out a monstrous amount of healing in raid.

Hope this helps you out, and here's a link to my spec.

The World of Warcraft Armory

Quote Originally Posted by Homicide View Post
    I looked over your Holy spec and saw that you have 4/5 Spell Warding and 3/3 in Blessed Resilience, which leads me to think that your Holy spec may be more of a PvP spec.
    3/3 Blessed Resilience is 3% increased healing to ALL spells. Most, if not all, recommended holy pve spec's have this now a days. It is simply better then putting it in a talent such as empowered healing where it only affects your filler spell (flash / binding heal). Spell warding is taken as a filler talent to move up the tree in most builds. Honestly, just looked at the OP's spec and it's fairly decent, I'd maybe only move a point from empowered renew into test of faith but that's me.

Quote Originally Posted by Homicide View Post
    Also, put another point into Test of Faith, it's really worth it.

Another suggestion is to replace either Glyph of PoH or Glyph of CoH with Glyph of Flash Heal, which will help you save a considerable amount of mana.
    Agree on test of faith, it's really nice, disagree on glyphs. CoH is the staple of holy and you want it glyphed. PoH glyphed is pretty standard but is swappable depending on personal use. If any glyph should be dropped for Flash heal it should be guardian spirit and that's personal preference. I, personally, don't find the GS glyph useful for my raids, so I use flash heal. If you do find it useful, keep guardian spirit. The amount of mana actually saved on flash heal can be trivial if you don't use flash frequently and instead rely on other spells. Go through your logs and calculate how much mana you'd be saving if you had the glyph and whether or not you have mana issues, then make your decision.
    Last edited by Amamaeth; 12-22-2009 at 12:18 PM.

a quick response on my break. I took out FH glyph when I recieved my second Solace. Mana is no longer an issue. TY for the responses and I will give them a better read when i have more than 5min this afternoon
    Last edited by Gwenymph; 12-22-2009 at 02:32 PM.

Looked at raid makeup/synergies etc. and here and there we are missing a range buff but not enough to make up the difference I seem to be missing. I ran some pugs on my laptop that has recount on it, sadly something is interfering with recount on my desktop. The numbers were back up above the average on FH every boss with the talent help mentioned by some, as was PoM numbers (though uneffected by moving the points around).

I assume the numbers are slightly inflated due to the pug players ability to stand in fire or absorb less dmg with their gear. Tuesday will be the real test to see if my numbers will be back above average across the board (comparing WoL with WoL) with the exception of not taking more Renew talents in this reccomended spec.

I think, perhaps, you are fussing over minutiae and placing more emphasis on meters and stats than a healer really should. Your spec looks fine, though I personally would go 5/5 SW, 3/3 EmpR, drop 3/5 EH, and pick up Glyph of Renew instead of Glyph of PoH.

You gems look good, I was doing something similar when I was full time Holy. Now that I'm full time Disc, however, I skip socket bonuses if I can't make it work with the gems I want.

Honestly, the pinnacle of skill for any healing core is preventing player deaths that can be prevented. Boss dead? Everyone alive? You win.

The "discrepancy" your seeing isn't because you are good or bad. It has mostly to do with luck. Did ProM go off on a 50K blood tank that had 2,000HP left, Vamp Blood, GS, Imp Devo aura, demo lock procced up to 4k SP, 2pc priest bonus, etc.?

I'd just take less stock in stats like "best ever" eHPS for a particular spell on a particular fight. Most of the time, your eHPS is more or less a product of how many healers you bring, how good they are, and what classes they are, rather than your own personal skill/gear.

The only meter that really counts is when the "Boss Dead Meter" shows a 'Win'. All else is minutia.

The key questions are whether your heals are powerful 'enough', fast 'enough', and for the duration of the encounters your guild runs. Perhaps an overly simplistic view, but in my experience on my Priest I never had to worry about whether my heals were big enough or not. Not once. Ever. I never had anyone die because my Gheal did only 11k instead of 12 or 13. The challenge is in my own rhythm/timing, and whether I can cast fast enough and often enough while still ensuring my mana pool lasts the duration.

+ Reply to Thread