+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bloodbath (Warrior ability in Beta), what happened to it?

Bloodbath (Warrior ability in Beta), what happened to it?

So, back in the beta of Wrath of the Lich King, I believe, there was a Warrior ability called Bloodbath:

Bloodbath(Rank 1)
    Wound up to 5 enemy targets within 8 yards, causing 244 to 256 damage and causing them to Bleed for 250 damage over 15 seconds. If the target becomes Enraged, the Bloodbath bleed effect causes four times the normal damage.

Ok, so I'm really curious about this, I've been trying to find more information on it, like how many ranks there would be, what it would look like at level 80, and for the most part, why it didn't make it to live, but I've been coming up dry. As far as I understand, the 4x damage if target is enraged was something that Rend did as well, but that particular effect didn't make it live either.Lately, in 10 mans where we've had no other source of bleeds, a rogue was asking me to keep rend up on my primary target. I've gotten the same from a kitty as well on occaision. Now fair enough, I'm fairly accomodating so I don't mind throwing a rend on there, but really, it just got me thinking about the "AoE rend" that we were supposed to be getting in WotLK, and how useful it would be in this situation. I do wonder why Bloodbath never made it, better AoE threat is something a lot of Warrior tanks have been constantly asking for, and that would have certainly fit the bill. Has Blizzard ever given a reason, or is there any speculation?

I'd pawn my Mechano-hog for such an ability.

I wondered too. I guess they felt that warriors shouldn't get too much more AoE. Druids don't have a lot either I suppose.

But it's just odd to me when this ability in spirit is like Pestilence (aoe targetted dot). Granted you don't have to stack diseases/bleeds first, but still I can't imagine the reason being that it's game breaking.

I beleive that they took it out after they removed the cap on Thunderclap, but that was a rumor floating around the warrior forums.

wasn't there some fury skill called Heroic Leap? was that it?
    Ricovega
    Adrastus III - EU Skullcrusher

Quote Originally Posted by Ricovega View Post
    wasn't there some fury skill called Heroic Leap? was that it?
    No, bloodbath was a tanking ability that was avaliable during early Wrath Beta, but was taken out.

Heroic Leap was just another range closer, but they were having lots of problems getting it to be balanced so they decided to scrap it and put in heroic fury.

thanks for that, looked well cool from the clips i saw on youtube, shame they took it out. it was almost like charge or intercept but as a leap which dealt damage - very cool, damn shame
    Ricovega
    Adrastus III - EU Skullcrusher

It basically worked like the rocket pack in gunship, and there were problems with warriors being able to get up to places they weren't supposed to go.

Oddly enough, it sounded just like Feral Charge for kitties (that thing where they jump behind their target).

I guess Heroic Leap was ground targetted, which could definitely cause problems. That or given the problems Juggernaut caused, maybe they predicted problems giving Warriors 2 in combat gap closers (although they would have then forgot all these concerns when designing Juggernaut so I dunno...).

Heroic leap didn't teleport you to your target, you jumped a static distance in front of your character and could easily be used to exploit terrain. It was easily one of the most entertaining skills in the game yet.

As far as bloodbath goes, it was scrapped failrly early in beta from what I recall, which is a shame. It seemed like a really cool and fairly unique tps move for tanks

Either that buff for pally equivalent aoe tps or I want my passive 2min CD immune to death, really dont think my 2min 40% damage reduction shield wall matches death immunity when comparing best defensive abilities

just imo

Quote Originally Posted by Daishar View Post
    Either that buff for pally equivalent aoe tps or I want my passive 2min CD immune to death, really dont think my 2min 40% damage reduction shield wall matches death immunity when comparing best defensive abilities

just imo
    No please. Ever played a Paladin tank? It's just dull. The passive death immunity just feels like you've switched god mode on, the class feels 'idiot-proof' because of it. That's something I'd desperately hate to see happen to the Warrior class.

Quote Originally Posted by Daishar View Post

just imo
    Yes, an ability that only comes into play when things go wrong is brilliant.

Honestly, the times that you get to use the no-death effects are things like eating a big bang, and though it's usefull there, other cooldowns work just as well.
    Of course, it allows the people healing you to slack a little bit, but most of the times it activates, it's more of a sign to the healers that says "we did something wrong there."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlhungus View Post
    No please. Ever played a Paladin tank? It's just dull. The passive death immunity just feels like you've switched god mode on, the class feels 'idiot-proof' because of it. That's something I'd desperately hate to see happen to the Warrior class.
    I enjoy paladin tanking, and I get fed up with reading crap like this. I know you spend most of your time here rallying for warrior buffs Karl, but I thought we'd gotten past stupid hyperbole like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
    I enjoy paladin tanking, and I get fed up with reading crap like this. I know you spend most of your time here rallying for warrior buffs Karl, but I thought we'd gotten past stupid hyperbole like this.
    Well I find Paladin tanking dull. It's not hyperbole, but a statement of opinion. In the same way I've said that tanking as Blood DK is boring, that's my opinion based on my experience of the class. I'm sure there's plenty of people who enjoy playing as a Blood DK too, I'd hope they're not going to take umbrage at my opinion too. Please continue to enjoy Paladin tanking, and don't let my experience of the class being dull take away from your experience of it.

Now, the thing about rallying for Warrior buffs, is that a lot of people are rallying for exactly the wrong kind of buffs. I'm sure you've seen the people who ask for Thunderclap to be turned into Consecration, it's a suggestion that pops up constantly on the official forums. I think it would the very worst thing that could happen if Warrior abilities were made to ape those of another class, the distinction and different ways of dealing with a situation are what makes the class. The very worst case scenario in my humble opinion would be if Warriors got a free 1up like Paladins. It's an aspect of the game that I would consider utterly broken, it saves you from mistakes that would otherwise end in a wipe most of the time, a healer can make a complete fuckup that results in tank death, but it's ok, he's got +1up! That's not a kind of mechanic I'd ever like to see Warriors have.

I'm sure you wouldn't like the idea of your class having mechanics changed and then having it play the same way as another class. It would be, dare I say, dull. I wouldn't like that either, yet that's what quite a lot of people seem to want. Turn thunderclap into consecration, now give us ardent defender, next step is give us mana instead of rage? I'd rather see no buffs at all than those kinds of 'buffs'.

Anyway, this thread was never meant to be about Warriors vs. Paladins, lets not go that way yet again.

I'd kill for another AoE threat generator, it'd make keeping the dang pesky caster mobs a little more on target.

Quote Originally Posted by maverickroll View Post
    I'd kill for another AoE threat generator, it'd make keeping the dang pesky caster mobs a little more on target.
    Go Cleave withouth target limit :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

If I had to guess it was just too many buttons to push at that point, easier to just improve the abilities we already had.

Sounds like a glyphed howling blast, sort of.

To answer the op:

Warrior - WotlkWiki - Wrath of the Lich King Information
    Warrior - WotlkWiki - Wrath of the Lich King Information

Bloodbath Rank 1 Arms school
    Wound up to 5 enemy targets within 8 yards, causing 244 to 256 damage and causing them to Bleed for 250 damage over 15 seconds. If the target becomes Enraged, the Bloodbath bleed effect causes four times the normal damage.
    (15 Rage, Instant, 5 yd Range)

From the second link it doesn't look like they ever had trainable ranks for it which is odd since it was trainable at level 60. I suspect that means they were always dubious about adding it frankly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cainne View Post
    No, bloodbath was a tanking ability that was avaliable during early Wrath Beta, but was taken out.
    It was an ability in the arms tree. DPS flavors had easy access to it as well. At the end of the day I suspect that's a big part of the reason why it was dropped.

That all said, I really do miss it conceptually. I think warrior (and bears but that's neither here nor there) tanks need one last bit of oomph in the aoe tanking department and this is a unique ability with a lot of warrior flavor to it. I'm hopeful that it makes a return in cataclysm.

Quote Originally Posted by WarTotem View Post
    Go Cleave withouth target limit :P

Or maybe even let Warbringer give you access to Whirlwind in Defensive Stance as well, so you get one ability from Battle Stance and one from Berserker Stance.

Might create balance problems within the various trees, though, although I don't think it would mess it up too bad, since you still wouldn't do big damage like you would with two two-handers.

It would be another button to push, but I wouldn't mind.

+ Reply to Thread