+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything tanks need to know about caps.

Everything tanks need to know about caps.

People use the term cap a lot.
    People use the term cap wrong a lot.

This post will explain all caps important to tanks, and the proper use of the term.

Please note that all numbers given are against boss mobs, and a level 80 player.

The Term Cap
    The term stems from filling a bottle to the cap. Once you do that, no more will fit in, you will have reached the cap. It works the same way for WoW ratings. Once you have reached the cap, extra of that rating will just flow over and be useless.
    Many ratings have a 'soft' cap and a 'hard' cap. After you reach the soft cap in these ratings, more of that rating will not give you more of one of the benefits from that rating. This is not the same as diminishing returns.
    An example of this is expertise rating, which reduces the chance of being parried and dodged. Removing your chance to be dodged is reached at a lower rating then removing your chance to be parried. So there is a soft cap which removes dodge, and a hard cap that removes both dodge and parry. Another example of this is hit rating. There are seperate values of hit for always hitting with single weapon auto attacks and special skills, always hitting with spells, and always hitting with auto attacks when dual wielding.
    Soft caps are often named after what they accomplish. Thus, the dodge cap for expertise is the point where you no longer get dodged. Spell hit cap is another example of such naming for a soft cap.

Needing Caps
    Before listing all the various caps, I want to adress the idea that tanks need to reach caps.
    Tanks do not need to reach any cap unless the encounter demands it.
    In general, caps do very little for tanks. Most simply increase threat done, and as such are not needed.
    Of course, some fights may require you to reach certain caps. Refer to the tactics for the fight in question when this is the case.

The List

Defense
    I will start with this. This is NOT a cap. You need enough defense to ensure you never suffer a critical strike from the mobs you are fighting. The total amount of critical strike reduction needed is 5.6%, add up all sources of critical strike reduction you have to see if you have enough. If you have no resilience or other sources of critical strike reduction, you need 540 defense skill for that. This could be considered a soft cap, but there is one huge difference between a minimum and a cap. You end at the cap - if there is a cap you need, you should work to get to it, and not pass it. You start at the minimum - without it, you shouldn't even be tanking the boss.
    You also get a decent amount of avoidance from defense in the form of parry, dodge and being missed chance. While actual numbers vary due to diminishing returns and such things, you should be getting more avoidance then parry rating, but slightly less then dodge rating. Paladins and Warriors even get a slight boost in block chance from defense rating. Because of this, getting more defense is always an improvement.

Hit Cap
    There are several different hit caps.
    • The melee hit cap causes all your single weapon auto attacks to always hit and causes all special melee attacks to always hit. This is reached at 8%.
    • The spell hit cap causes all your spells to always hit. This is reached at 17%.
    • The dual wield hit cap causes all your dual wield auto attacks to always hit. This is reached at 27%

Hit is almost a pure threat stat, it causes your attacks to hit more, and thus it makes you do more threat. There should be a reasonable amount of hit available on tank gear, but you shouldn't gem or enchant for it.
    The only time you should ever worry about hit caps is if you need to taunt something. If you glyph taunt, and the boss is properly debuffed (Improved Faerie Fire - Spell - World of Warcraft or Misery - Spell - World of Warcraft), you need 6% additional spell hit chance to always hit with yout taunt. This is 158 hit rating.

Note that taunt is based off of spell hit, and that you get more spell hit chance from your rating then that you get melee hit chance.

Expertise Cap
    Expertise governs two things. The chance a mob has to dodge you and the chance a boss has to parry you.
    • You negate the mobs chance to dodge you when you reach 6.5% dodge and parry reduction at 26 expertise skill.
    • You negate the mobs chance to parry you when you reach 14% dodge and parry reduction at 56 expertise skill.

(Note that rating and skill are not the same - your expertise rating grants you expertise skill.)

Expertise is mostly a threat stat. It governs your melee attacks, and since those connect more, you do more threat. Quite a few skills are unaffected by expertise since they cannot be dodged or parried, and expertise has no effect on spells. Many tanks swear by reaching the expertise soft cap. Since it reduces two chances (both dodge and parry) before getting there, expertise is a rather powerful threat stat, but you don't need to reach it. Since most bosses get a quicker melee attack when they parry, expertise can also slightly reduce incoming damage and reduce spike damage taken.

A note on hit and expertise.

For both hit and expertise, the general thing to remember is this: "If you do enough threat, you don't need more of them. It is important, though, to realize that having more of either of them will make your threat less spiky. While this effect is minor, having a string of misses at the beginning of a fight can cause someone to grab aggro.
    My advice would be to not worry about getting to either cap, but not completely ignoring the stat either. Gemming or enchanting for hit or expertise shouldn't be needed.

Parry, Dodge and Being Missed Caps
    These are theoretical caps - points where your parry, dodge and being missed chances are so high that adding to the stat will not give you more.
    These are so ridiculously high that they cannot be attained currently, nor do I think they ever will be. You can ignore them.

Block Cap
    The block cap is the point where your combined avoidance and chance to block is so high that you will block each and every frontal blockable attack. This is reached at 102.4% combined avoidance and block.
    The block cap is easily attainable for paladins using holy shield. Warriors can attain it, but shouldn't worry about it. Many people seem to think that blocking every blow is a paladin niche for tanking, and as such that paladins should do their best to get it. I disagree with these people. For the most part, block rating gives so little effective damage reduction that it is not a stat worth going for. If it happens to be on an upgrade, that's nice, but never worry about it.
    It is important to note that block really shines against weaker mobs. The lower damage a blow does, the higher the effect of a blocked blow. Especially on melee adds and trash, block is exceptional, to the point where someone who is at the block cap can tank adds without taking noticable damage. While it is a funny effect to see, gearing up to tank adds is a silly concept. Gear up to tank the boss - if you can tank that, the adds won't pose a problem.
    Obviously, only warriors and paladins can reach this cap.

Block Value Cap
    Both shield-users have an ability to hit a mob with their shield. Both of these are high-threat moves that use block value as their main damage stat. There is a cap on the amount of damage that you gain from block value on these moves, namely 2760 block value. Note that these abilities get some base damage, and that percentual modifiers come after the cap is applied, so you will be doing considerably more damage then the block value cap with these moves. This cap only applies to damage done, not damage blocked - there is no cap on the amount of damage you can block. In a standard tanking set, you shouldn't reach this cap.

Avoidance Cap
    The avoidance cap refers to the point where your combined dodge, parry and chance to be missed is so high that you will never be hit by an avoidable attack. This is reached at 101.8% combined avoidance.
    While this cap is mostly theoretical at the moment, I think we may see people able to reach it when (stacking cooldowns together) before Cataclysm hits. It looks to be a lot of fun to get to this cap, but I doubt it will have much use, since you need to sacrifice so much to gain it that it will be little more then a novelty.

Armor Cap
    Armor reduces the amount of physical damage taken by a percentage, and there is a maximum percentage of armor damage reduction, namely 75%. At 49.905 armor, bosses will have 75% of their physical damage mitigated.
    Currently, it's not possible to reach the armor cap passively. With the right gear set, some cooldowns, procs and/or consumables, you can reach it. I consider armor to be one of the most important stats a tank has, as it increases your effective health and makes your easier to heal, and it makes shield blocks more potent. There is, however, considerable discussion on the value of armor, as it only works against physical damage, and not against all physical damage. The consensus is "more is better, but not at any cost."
    Under normal circumstances you should not hit this cap, and you shouldn't worry about it too much. When you get too close, you could consider changing some trinkets.

Resistance Cap
    Your resistance to a particular school of magic determines two things. It determines what percentage of magic damage of that school you are likely to resist and the chance of binary spells being effective. Bosses generally don't have resistable binary spells.
    As tanks you can basically ignore resistances unless the fight calls for it. With very few exceptions, there are three types of magic damage you will face while raiding, raid-wide magic damage, tank-specific magic damage and raid-wipe magic damage. Raid-wide magic damage is intended to hit all raiders, and while it may pose a threat to them, tanks have a lot more health and passive damage reduction, so they can basically ignore it. Tank-specific magic damage needs a counter, either by interrupting the cast, using a cooldown or doing something fight-specific. Raid-wipe magic damage does just that, it wipes the raid. You shouldn't get hit by it, and if you do you should die.
    Resistance prevents damage at 10% intervals, so it can prevent 20% or 30% of damage taken, but not 25%. Your resistance determines how much is prevented, and there are several brackets of damage reduction open to each level of resistance. (So at 180 resistance, you will prevent either 10%, 20%, 30% or 40% of all damage.) The average damage resisted can be calculated by x/x+510, where x is your resistance, which tells us that there is a sort of diminishing returns for resistance. (Remember, against a boss mob.)
    It is currently unknown if there is a cap to resistance, but if there is it isn't reasonably reachable. You don't need to worry about resistances, but remember that there are plenty of fights where resistance may help (depending on your raids gear level and familiarity with the fight.)

That's all the caps that affect a tank at.

ps. If I missed something or made an error, feel free to point it out and I'll amend my post.
    Last edited by Martie; 01-17-2010 at 01:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

Nicely done Martie I'm going to sticky this.

very nicely done.. I now have a post to send peeps to to explain why I am exasperated with there cap statements.

Excellent work. I'm bookmarking this since I can never remember all the numbers and this is the only place where ALL the "cap" information is contained within one easy to read (with no fluff) page.
    Former healbot now a Disgruntled protection warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by Martie View Post
    May ratings have a 'soft' cap and a 'hard' cap. After you reach the soft cap in these ratings, more of that rating will give you a lot less effect.
    For clarity, I'd suggest adjusting the wording here to, "beyond the soft cap you stop getting one of the benefits of that rating." Rather than just saying you get a "lot less." Cap, as a term, means that some part or all of the rating is now doing nothing by adding more. Soft cap means that it is only ceasing to add one of multiple values. A hard cap means it is adding nothing more at all. The rest explains this well, but I'm nitpicking your summaries. =)

Spell hit cap is another example of such naming for a soft cap.
    Well, technically the spell hit cap will be the hard cap of hit for most people. Only dual wielders will have more value for hit.

Tanks do not need to reach any cap unless the encounter demans it.
    In general, caps do very little for tanks. Most simply increase threat done, and as such are not needed.
    I don't think you're wrong, but I wanted to editorialize a little.

You're not generally getting any more value from pushing to or over the hit cap, say, than if you are a bit shy. Hit rating is still giving you the same value. It can be nice for reliability.

On reliability that is where DKs may find these caps very aesthetically appealing. Missing with rune abilities can really cramp your rotation/cast sequence, though it won't necessarily actually provide any more threat, it will just be reliable.

Parry, dodge and being missed caps.
    These are theoretical caps - points where your parry, dodge and being missed chances are so high that adding to the stat will not give you more.
    These are so ridiculously high that they cannot be attained currently, nor do I think they ever will be. You can ignore them.
    Funny thing, you would sooner pass 100% avoidance than get near this asymptotic area (miss "cap" is 16%, dodge "cap" is 88%, and parry "cap" is 47%, all rounded off).

The block cap is the point where your combined avoidance and chance to block is so high that you will block each and every frontal blockable attack.
    This is reached at 102.4% combined avoidance and block.
    Nitpicking again. The cap is based on the level of your opponent. Short-hand it is 100% +/- 0.8% per level difference they are above or below you (based on the relative effect of Defense through miss/dodge/parry/block). So, 102.4% is for a level 80 tank vs a level 83 attacker (Raid boss). I know you know this, but I wanted to make sure it was stated here.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

Also, good job, this is a valuable resource!
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

Avoidance Cap.
    The avoidance cap refers to the point where your combined dodge, parry and chance to be missed is so high that you will never be hit by an avoidable attack. This is reached at 102.4% combined avoidance.

While this cap is mostly theoretical at the moment, I think we may see people able to reach it when (stacking cooldowns together) before Cataclysm hits.

While it looks to be a lot of fun to get to this cap, I doubt it will have much use, since you need to sacrifice so much to gain it that it will be little more then a novelty.

That's all the caps that affect a tank at.

ps. If I missed something or made an error, feel free to point it out and I'll amend my post.
    101,8% avoidance. The sum must be 100% at level 83, the level gap reduces each stat by 0,6%. So parry+dodge+miss = 100% at level 83, or 101,8% for us mundane level 80s.

Expertise cap
    Expertise governs two things. The chance a mob has to dodge you and the chance a boss has to parry you.
    You negate the mobs chance to dodge you when you reach 6.5% dodge and parry reduction at 26 expertise skill.
    You negate the mobs chance to parry you when you reach 14% dodge and parry reduction at 56 expertise skill.
    (Note that rating and skill are not the same - your expertise rating grants you expertise skill.)

Expertise is mostly a threat stat. It governs your melee attacks, and since those connect more, you do more threat. Quite a few skills are unaffected by expertise since they cannot be dodged or parried, and expertise has no effect on spells.

Many tanks swear by reaching the expertise soft cap. Since it reduces two chances (both dodge and parry) before getting there, expertise is a rather powerful threat stat, but you don't need to reach it.

Since most bosses get a quicker melee attack when they parry, expertise can also slightly reduce incoming damage and reduce spike damage taken.

A note on hit and expertise.
    For both hit and expertise, the general thing to remember is this: "If you do enough threat, you don't need more of them."
    It is important, though, to realize that having more of either of them will make your threat less spiky. While this effect is minor, having a string of misses at the beginning of a fight can cause someone to grab aggro.
    My advice would be to not worry about getting to either cap, but not completely ignoring the stat either. Gemming or enchanting for hit or expertise shouldn't be needed.
    As a note: Expertise also has some pretty nice survivability bonuses too. We traditionally have though of it as a threat stat, but for some classes (paladins for example), it is a nice boost in survivability, comparable to avoidance in some areas. You should check out Theck's research on it over at Maintankadin (these are true for paladins):

Current conclusions:

* Expertise is about 73% as effective as dodge rating for reducing incoming damage (first link).
    * Expertise is about 69% as effective as dodge rating for reducing the number of incoming attacks that connect (also first link).
    * Expertise is actually 2x-4x better than dodge at reducing spike damage intake from boss melee attacks, with the added benefit that it preferentially reduces the largest spikes, thus smoothing out our spike damage by reducing the maximum spike size (second link).
    * Each point of expertise rating also gives us about 1/3 of a point of STR.
    http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.c...rb_v=viewtopic

Check your PMs, Martie!
    Got a question? Try here: Evil Empire Guides and here: Tankspot Guides and Articles Library first!

Devil's Advocate

There is a cap for Defense. Technicly speaking there are even 3 caps.

First cap is the crit cap. Once you hit 0% chance to be crit, you no longer get any extra damage reduction from this part, thus according to your definition a cap. This cap of 140 (for raid bosses and 135 for everything else) defense is the first requirement of a tank and can be achieved by Feral Druids through talents and is usually considered mandatory for tanks.

The second cap is the block chance cap. Defense gives block chance, thus enough defense can get you the 'unhittability' (no normal hits incoming), after which the chance to block incoming attacks actually decreases with more defense (or dodge, parry or to be missed chance)

The third cap is the theoretical cap. When you take the formula for effective avoidance gained from ratings, you can write it as
    Effect = C * B / (B + k) which is very similar to the Armor DR formula, with B the avoidance gain before diminishing returns, k the class constant and C the effect cap. This is because when trying to maximize the Effect through changing B, the maximum is only attained when B is infinite, at which point the effect will be equal to C. Realisticly speaking, the cap for B will either be the first number where rounding errors result in Effect = C, or the server's overflow max for the type of number B is stored as.

PS: Don't blame me for the math, I've been studying Math Analysis for the last 4 days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Quote Originally Posted by WarTotem View Post
    The third cap is the theoretical cap. When you take the formula for effective avoidance gained from ratings, you can write it as
    Effect = C * B / (B + k) which is very similar to the Armor DR formula, with B the avoidance gain before diminishing returns, k the class constant and C the effect cap.
    quick correction:

Effect = C * B / (B + C*k)

1/(1/C + k/B) = C / ( 1 + Ck/B) = CB / (B + Ck)

I made some edits changing pointed out flaws and mistakes - thanks for them, keep it up please.

Some comments I'd like to adress.

Quote Originally Posted by Satorri View Post
    Nitpicking again. The cap is based on the level of your opponent. Short-hand it is 100% +/- 0.8% per level difference they are above or below you (based on the relative effect of Defense through miss/dodge/parry/block). So, 102.4% is for a level 80 tank vs a level 83 attacker (Raid boss). I know you know this, but I wanted to make sure it was stated here.
    I noted that my numbers were against raid bosses. If you can always block them, you can always block anything. I didn't note that I use a level 80 character... maybe I should add that.

Quote Originally Posted by jere View Post
    As a note: Expertise also has some pretty nice survivability bonuses too. We traditionally have though of it as a threat stat, but for some classes (paladins for example), it is a nice boost in survivability, comparable to avoidance in some areas. You should check out Theck's research on it over at Maintankadin (these are true for paladins):
    I know of the research, I've read it a few times and it surprised me.

I noted that parries increase swing speed timer for the boss, and that should make it clear that expertise is a minor defensive stat. The problem I have with calling it too strong is that Blizzard has a tendency of making bosses where expertise shines for survival immune to parry haste - thus removing the survivability aspect of expertise.

Devil's Advocate

There is a cap for Defense. Technicly speaking there are even 3 caps.
    I disagree - here is why.
    First cap is the crit cap. Once you hit 0% chance to be crit, you no longer get any extra damage reduction from this part, thus according to your definition a cap. This cap of 140 (for raid bosses and 135 for everything else) defense is the first requirement of a tank and can be achieved by Feral Druids through talents and is usually considered mandatory for tanks.
    This is the crit reduction cap, not the defense cap. You don't have to use defense to get it at all, hence, not a defense cap.
    The second cap is the block chance cap. Defense gives block chance, thus enough defense can get you the 'unhittability' (no normal hits incoming), after which the chance to block incoming attacks actually decreases with more defense (or dodge, parry or to be missed chance)
    I guess you could consider this a defense soft cap of sorts, but I think that it's a bit silly to do so.
    Effect = C * B / (B + k) which is very similar to the Armor DR formula, with B the avoidance gain before diminishing returns, k the class constant and C the effect cap. This is because when trying to maximize the Effect through changing B, the maximum is only attained when B is infinite, at which point the effect will be equal to C. Realisticly speaking, the cap for B will either be the first number where rounding errors result in Effect = C, or the server's overflow max for the type of number B is stored as.

PS: Don't blame me for the math, I've been studying Math Analysis for the last 4 days.
    These are the seperate dodge, parry and miss caps - and even there you could say have a seperate defense soft cap for each of them. I think it's better to keep calling them by their own cap names.

I agree with Martie, further more I'm not sure it's even possible to get enough defense that you get close enough to the DR curve's limit to make it neglibile.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

I know of the research, I've read it a few times and it surprised me.

I noted that parries increase swing speed timer for the boss, and that should make it clear that expertise is a minor defensive stat. The problem I have with calling it too strong is that Blizzard has a tendency of making bosses where expertise shines for survival immune to parry haste - thus removing the survivability aspect of expertise.
    The only current bosses that have parries disabled that come to mind are Gormok (and maybe Icehowl). I think they only disable parries on bosses where it is a random tank killer. Most of the ice crown bosses don't fit in that category (has anyone actually checked to see if they are turned off on any ICC bosses?).

I can imagine having less parries on a boss like say Saurfang when he frenzies, is a pretty nice boost to survivability.

Survivability from expertise is a toughie. You don't want to over emphasize it cause a few bosses have it turned off. At the same time you can't really handwave it, because, really, only a few bosses have parries turned of. It doesn't have a 100% coverage, but it does cover the majority of the content we tank. The question is how well/much do you sell it. That's a tough thing to figure out.

Quote Originally Posted by jere View Post
    Survivability from expertise is a toughie. You don't want to over emphasize it cause a few bosses have it turned off. At the same time you can't really handwave it, because, really, only a few bosses have parries turned of. It doesn't have a 100% coverage, but it does cover the majority of the content we tank. The question is how well/much do you sell it. That's a tough thing to figure out.
    I didn't handwave it - I mentioned it. The scope of the post isn't to go in-depth about the advantages of having high expertise, so mentioning it was enough in my opinion.

The problem I have with overstating it is that it's turned off exactly on those bosses where it would cause a big problem. Gormok and Vezax are bosses where it's turned off, and it's turned off because they have the tendency to twoshot tanks if they get two quick melee attacks. Other bosses don't do that, so the damage spike taken is far less dangerous, to a degree that it's almost ignorable.
    I guess it comes down to being parry gibbed. Blizzard appearantly doesn't want this to be a problem, so they don't keep bosses where an untimely parry can kill the tanks.

Can you imagine I forgot the armor cap?

Well, it's there now. I took the numbers from WoWWiki, I assume they are correct.

I guess you could consider this a defense soft cap of sorts, but I think that it's a bit silly to do so.
    There's a lot of 'silly' people out there and imo they deserve the same knowledge as the 'normal' people. That and if you're writing a summary, might as well be as complete as possible
    That said, in hindsight it might be better to point out that Defense merely gives you certain amounts of dodge/parry/block as well as a certain amount of crit reduction and chance to be missed, and that any pivot point in Defense gains are due to the caps from the respective gains from it's effects rather than Defense in itself. Also solves the defense cap/minimum discussion nicely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

There's a lot of 'silly' people out there and imo they deserve the same knowledge as the 'normal' people. That and if you're writing a summary, might as well be as complete as possible
    That said, in hindsight it might be better to point out that Defense merely gives you certain amounts of dodge/parry/block as well as a certain amount of crit reduction and chance to be missed, and that any pivot point in Defense gains are due to the caps from the respective gains from it's effects rather than Defense in itself. Also solves the defense cap/minimum discussion nicely.
    Yer right, post changed to reflect it.

There is a Block value Cap according to the charactrt sheet, while constructing a new HC tanking spec i put on all my best Block gear. i qas just shy of 2900BV, with lavanthors talisman (+440 BV) and the autoblocker(+200bv) activated and shield block up, my charcter sheet only recorded a BV of 5600.

now i'm not the greatest at maths but shield block alone should have taken my BV past that.

i have no idea if this means that the Blocked Cap is 5600 for pallies 11.2k for warriors if they get lucky.

+ Reply to Thread