+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Guidelines For New Raiders & Class Leaders

Guidelines For New Raiders & Class Leaders

Edit: The actual guide I have so far is Post #44.

Note to self: the ones needed are Arms Warrior, All 3 DK DPS ones (Unholy first, requested a server-mate to write it), BM and Survival Hunters, feral cat durid (is 4 fite, I requested a guildy to write it), Shadow Priest, and the mage ones (arcane first, I requested a guildy write it).

I've always wanted to write a raid leader's guide that is intended for NORMAL modes. i.e. trying to bump up casual players to semi-hardcore. (And I'm certainly open to people besides Satorri and Kaz helping!)

The goal, which both me and Satorri have problems with, would be to write a concise guide. I want to do this when I'm off work for Christmas and New Year's.

Template would be something like this:

Class Name/Spec:

Link To Talent Build:

2-3 sentence description of which talents are optional/filler if you need them for specific encounters.

Rotation or What Heals to Cast: (2-4 sentences)

How to gem: (For tanks, this would be about as detailed as "Put stam in everything except to activate your 2% armor meta. Taking +12 stam socket bonuses isn't bad either.")

How to enchant: (6-7 short lines)

Glyphs: (One sentence description of which ones are mandatory and optional.)

Tier Bonus: 1-2 sentence description of how good the Tier 9 and 10 bonuses are.

Stat weights: (Sample: Hit Rating to Cap > Strength > Expertise >> Armor Pen = Attack Power >> Haste = Agility = Hit after cap). A table with the relative values might not be bad either. Also, I'd like to put something in here you rarely see in guides...when to take off higher ilvl gear for better itemized lower ilvl gear.

Trinkets: 2-3 sentence description of what trinkets are desirable.

Weapon Choice: For those that have to worry about fast/fast slow/slow etc.

Performance: Rough idea of what this spec should be able to accomplish on a DPS meter on a fully raid-buffed target dummy at different levels of gear.

Armories: Names of 10 players in US Top 50 raiding guilds that people could armory to see what they're doing.

References: Links to the actual research and other useful threads.

Random Notes: Put in notes about ghosting for casters, random tips about what procs what, etc.

I figure there'd be 32 entries. 10 classes x 3 specs, + extra for feral DPS/tank + 3 extras for DK DPS/tank - 1 for Subtlety rogues - 1 for Beast Mastery hunters. Frost mages and demonology warlocks might also be a good recommendation for raid leaders to just say, "not a raid spec."

Bloodwraith proposed doing macros and Addons too, but I think I'll omit that for brevity. This is for a raid leader looking at the toon to see if they're intelligently specced/geared/gemmed/enchanted, not for the person actually playing the class.

I've already got combat rogue, assassination rogue, and arcane mage done. (Except they need a little polish.)
    Last edited by Pylae; 01-04-2010 at 02:38 AM.

Maybe also some info on Enchants, Macros, and Addons that are useful.

I'm confused, are you asking for someone who plays each respective class to follow your template and fill out that info for you? If so, I'm down and you can feel free to link my armory as well because I already get over 9000 whispers per day asking when I plan on updating my UI, might as well get some more!

I've never been very good at writing guides nor would I consider myself an expert, but I'll help if there's anything you need info on =]

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

I think raid leaders who wish to improve performance should be focusing on fight mechanics and raid awareness more than individual performance. There are so many individual performance guides out there, and it really should be the responsibility of the raider and/or class/role leads to keep up on this.

Understanding what each class can do, what buffs they bring, what buffs are "mandatory," what unique things certain class/specs should do for each fight, overall positioning of the raid, fight mechanics; these are the things raid leaders should be focusing on.

This is, IMO, a consolidated class/spec guide rather than a raid leader's guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritus View Post
    This is, IMO, a consolidated class/spec guide rather than a raid leader's guide.
    this was the first thing i thought as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritus View Post
    this is also what i thought of it being once the description was read. although a raid leaders guide from Satorri would be a welcome addition to his already huge collection of information

I agree with Spiritus, a raid guide should be a more awareness tactic guide since each individual should be reading about his or her class already. I would also include http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f120/...g-your-ui.html because of the very many players out there whos awareness is limited by their spammy UI.

I was a raid leader for my old guild for roughly 3 years and I have also written a few guides on various topics (one of which is in my signature line). This one would be a rather large one to tackle. I would be glad to help contribute if this is going to be a collaboration between several authors. Whoever is heading it up feel free to contact me if you like.

I am always happy to try and give back a little to a community that has given me so much over the years.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

SO, I tried doing a feral druid one and what I found out was that I went into my WOTLK Feral Druid Guide - TankSpot guide and just copied the appropriate section at a time.

Feel free to do the same in the manner you want (how much of each section, ordering, conciseness, etc) and PM me if you need any addition information/description/clarification.

Yay, a lot of positive feedback!

Yes, I am asking people to write the snippets.

If you think I should call it a "Basic guide to specs, gearing, and gemming" or something like that that's what I'll call it, but the info I want in it is still the same.

And honestly, the only buffs I consider mandatory for normal modes are replenishment, +13% spell damage, and kings.

Although 5% spell crit, 3% spell hit, and the major armor debuff are also very very handy.

There is a ton of info out there, but in all honesty, I've played the game for five years and can't find good info on warlocks right now...so I figure someone who just hit 80 in the last few months probably doesn't have a clue.

Dylae

dont know how I missed this but:

Quote Originally Posted by Pylae View Post
    demonology warlocks might also be a good recommendation for raid leaders to just say, "not a raid spec."
    WRONG

demo locks are freakin amazing. At least until something is changed about it demonic pact is so superior to totem of wrath you almost must raid with a demo lock.

and yes my guild may be insane but we run both a demo lock and an ele shaman.

I'll gladly help you but I'm going to have to go with Spiritus here and say that this isn't so much a Raid Leader's guide as a one-stop place for all class info. It'd be very good for Class Leaders though, if your guild uses them.

As a raid leader, I'd prefer to see a stripped-down list of what buffs / abilities are crucial to a raid. Knowing what does or doesn't stack and who casts it under what conditions is far more valuable than knowing if your Rogue put too many points into a certain talent.

I have been considering writing such a guild for some guildies who I'm currently training to be raid leaders but ungh, time.

I'd also think a raid leader guide (while providing links to other sources about class specifics) would focus more on what to shoot for for group composition. Also, focus on awareness, what makes raids work, how to communicate with your team, and maintaining mental health through failure. Anyone who has been raid leading knows what I'm talking about on that last one.

Essentially, it should basically be a team building guide with references to class specific abilities that you should seek, and loose references to class gearing/rotations.

Honestly, I don't know a ton about every class, but I know about abilities they have so that I can call for it. ie. Feral Druid battle-res that guy, Shammy drop fear totem, mage counterspell, etc. I don't need to know how they gem unless there is an issue with DPS/tank survival/heals, in which case I'll do a quick search here and make recommendations. Having the links all in one document would just make that a LOT easier.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

One interesting side note...I spend a lot of time on the raid and dungeon forum, and basically it's a giant bitchfest about the GearScore addon.

The primary complaint being that it doesn't tell you about intelligent gemming and enchanting.

Yet I propose writing a guide that goes over what intelligent gemming is for each class because no such guide exists. So either there's a bunch of raid leaders out there that have individually researched what everyone is supposed to be gemming for, or people have no idea what intelligent gearing is for other classes but still bitch about GearScore.

I read about a guild that cleared Ulduar in Blues for fun. Gear score doesn't mean anything.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

I read about a guild that was going to TRY to clear Ulduar in all blues.

Screenies or it didn't happen.

Greedy goblin: Ungeared

Enjoy.

EDIT: Greedy Goblin: Ungeared for ICC

Thats' the next project that's underway.

(I love how one of the comments is basically: "You can't do it! Impossible!! Our 55k hp tanks were dying on Marrowgar in 10-man!!" )
    Last edited by Bovinity; 12-23-2009 at 03:26 PM.

I have a huge issue with using armory for high end gems/specs. The average casual wow player will never understand (or grasp) if that person is spec'd for a specific fight or not. (If I run around Dal in my anub tanking set I get the funniest whispers from no names in no name guilds informing me that I'm gemmed/chanted wrong)

I agree with Saranna and think that it would probably be better overall to use a character planner website like Char.dev with the players different gear sets for different situations.

+ Reply to Thread