+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is it bad have too much Def?

Quote Originally Posted by Martie View Post
    Have you seen the amounts of defense rating tank gear has nowadays?
    Qft. Even my non dk tank friends report very high def.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler View Post
    I'm on a shark

Quote Originally Posted by Edgewalker View Post
    Are you using fast tank weapons with the defense enchant? Else those numbers would be improbable.
    And why is that? If I plop the Ony trinket in, I have around 579. If I wanted to stick the Thadd trinket in, the number would be easy to get. Not that I would, but it's hardly a stretch.

If I used 2 def trinkets, def relic, and solid def gear I could probably hit 660 or so def. Just cause I can doesn't mean I will. Def is a great tank stat no matter what. It contributes to avoidance so It is never, I repeat Never bad. Sometimes it is better to invest in other stats, but defense is never bad. period.
    Defense cap is a lie, it is merely the uncritible cap that is primary. Every point of def beyond that contributes to avoidance. Gemming beyond 540 def is silly as other gems for straight avoidance are better, however def is still sexy. stop dissing it
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler View Post
    I'm on a shark

Thought i would add my 2 cents to this thread. I know I am a warrior not a DK but i currently run at 570 defense. This thread has also made me realise I still have 4 10def & 15 sta gems. I could change these gems however they all give me +sta from the socket bonus so my question now is is it worth me losing the 6 or 9 sta socket bonus by replacing these gems with either pure sta or sta and exp? I am over the soft cap for exp and my guild is full of dranei so pretty much always get the 1% hit bonus to put me at the hit cap.

armoury: The World of Warcraft Armory

Quote Originally Posted by Swam View Post
    Gemming beyond 540 def is silly as other gems for straight avoidance are better, however def is still sexy. stop dissing it
    Incorrect. As of patch 3.2, Defense gives the most raw avoidance (combined miss, dodge, and parry) per stat point of any avoidance stat.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    Incorrect. As of patch 3.2, Defense gives the most raw avoidance (combined miss, dodge, and parry) per stat point of any avoidance stat.
    This.

With ICC and the -20% dodge, would you enjoy a greater chance that the bosses attack will miss you entirely?? That your dodge and parry are ramped up and keep ya going. I know I would. I'm running 555 defense as a prot warrior and I can tell ya it has helped me.

Even after the 540 mark, never ignore an item that has defense rating on it.
    And don't look away from those +10 def / +15 stam gems....green is sexy and bonuses (when beneficial) are always worth grabbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bilistein View Post
    Thought i would add my 2 cents to this thread. I know I am a warrior not a DK but i currently run at 570 defense. This thread has also made me realise I still have 4 10def & 15 sta gems. I could change these gems however they all give me +sta from the socket bonus so my question now is is it worth me losing the 6 or 9 sta socket bonus by replacing these gems with either pure sta or sta and exp? I am over the soft cap for exp and my guild is full of dranei so pretty much always get the 1% hit bonus to put me at the hit cap.

armoury: The World of Warcraft Armory
    It's some simple math. Look at your gems in any given piece, add up how much stamina they have. If your socket bonus has stamina, now factor that into the total. If the sum of those numbers if greater than 30 x # of sockets, then you would lose stamina by gemming purely for it.

I'll give you a big hint though, I've never seen a piece where gemming for pure stamina netted less stamina that going for socket bonus. If you have extra defense and you feel like you could use more stamina (if you're doing top tier content, then the answer is probably yes) then I would switch over. If you like socket bonuses, look at other stats you might need and switch your gems to stat/+stam instead. Look at things like hit (are you special hit capped at 8%) expertise (soft cap at 26) etc...

@ Lulia I know I will gain some sta if I go with pure sta but in some case i will be dropping 10 defnese for 6 sta which does not seem that much and yeah I am about 0.1% under 8% hit in raids and at 27 exp as stated in my original post

But from the other responses they seem fine as it is.

Thanks for the quick replies
    Last edited by Bilistein; 12-23-2009 at 06:59 AM.

I'd prefer to take the stamina given such a glut of defense. Then again, you could gem for spirit at this point and likely be successful, so whatever floats your boat if you're not getting smeared.

Of course, ICC hard modes are as yet undiscovered. That's when we'll really find out what the requirement is.
    Got a question? Try here: Evil Empire Guides and here: Tankspot Guides and Articles Library first!

Meh, the small amount of Stamina increase is why I like to use such gems to increase hit or expertise which show a bit more for the small amount on the gem. I need to look at regemming to give myself a bit more stamina now though, since I don't need AS much hit or expertise (though I really like where they're at!)

Quote Originally Posted by Satrina View Post
    I Then again, you could gem for spirit at this point and likely be successful, so whatever floats your boat if you're not getting smeared.
    Hmmm, that could be really fun actually. Swap in some spirit gems and see how long it takes in random pugs for someone to say something.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Satorri View Post
    Hmmm, that could be really fun actually. Swap in some spirit gems and see how long it takes in random pugs for someone to say something.
    mp5 gems as a DK *grin*

Quote Originally Posted by Lulia View Post
    And why is that? If I plop the Ony trinket in, I have around 579. If I wanted to stick the Thadd trinket in, the number would be easy to get. Not that I would, but it's hardly a stretch.
    He said without much defense gear. I have 586 defense myself, or maybe 582, without trinkets. I was just curious how he was so high without trinkets or enchants, i.e. tank weapons with the defense runeforge.

I assumed that he meant he wasn't specifically itemizing for defense, that doesn't mean he can't have a trinket with some defense on it. But I don't really think how much defense he has is really relevant to the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulia View Post
    I assumed that he meant he wasn't specifically itemizing for defense, that doesn't mean he can't have a trinket with some defense on it. But I don't really think how much defense he has is really relevant to the conversation.
    There wasn't anything useful going on from the start of this thread, there are a lot of extremely well documented past posts that explain in great detail the value of defense to every conceivable level.
    And it was relevant to my personal curiosity, and didn't really need the extraneous posts where people say "lols thar Lot of DEFENSE on gear now". There is no reason to be hyper attentive to every minute detail of a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgewalker View Post
    There wasn't anything useful going on from the start of this thread, there are a lot of extremely well documented past posts that explain in great detail the value of defense to every conceivable level.
    And it was relevant to my personal curiosity, and didn't really need the extraneous posts where people say "lols thar Lot of DEFENSE on gear now". There is no reason to be hyper attentive to every minute detail of a thread.
    wow..

it was a simple question the guy asked. and no, its not bad to have so much defense, it comes with gear.

there was once a guy that said "There is no reason to be hyper attentive to every minute detail of a thread."

irony

+ Reply to Thread