+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: A Christmas Marmot -- Santa-liena & Santa-helm & Defro'd Frodo!

Quote Originally Posted by Lakshata View Post
    Oh priest healing is A LOT of fun, more fun than my shamans usual chainheal until desired effect is had. My priest is only level 73, but I LOVE healing as holy.

Edit - speaking of which my priest is on your realm xD
    hehe well if i am not in a raid send me a tell sometime.

Merry Christmas from Brazil

First of all ty all for doing such an amazing jog here.
    Love the video guides thru bosses and also like to watch other movies here cause its fun!
    Anyways... responding Ailena. Here i like to spend the holidays with my family. Christmas is a time of celebration and I love doing that. We dont see each other so often so whenever we can gather to have a celebration we just do it.
    I just would like to wish u all a merry chistmas and new year to all readers here.
    Cya!

What is the song used in this podcast ? (i dont mean the christmasy one at the end, but the relaxing tune for the first 8 minutes)

Merry christmas

when do we get lore's! I want to see this xD

Lore's movie is up!

another option instead of looking up someones armory, is pugchecker, it is another quicker option to use. A few guilds i know, they like it more that gearscore

I started to laugh when I saw Lore's hair.. Anyway nice job, both of you.

@ Lore

So yea, my buddy and I are watching Stargate SG1 from start to finish. During this I realized that you look exactly like "Fifth" one of the Human Form Replicators! (Bad guy from season 7 or so...)

Check it out:
    Fifth - The Stargate Omnipedia

What say you to this? Are you a famous actor and not telling us? Consider a shoutout and response in your next Marmot!

BTW, fun vids each week, keep it up!

Merry Christmas.

Lore, addressing the DPS in PUG aspects.

A large proportion of Heroic level DPS is time on target based due to the limited lifespan of mobs. Typically most PUG DPS have relatively low time on target (3-4 seconds after tank on trash) giving say 80% of their maximum damage compared to the tank's time on target. This factor is massive and little understood.

Damage is the product of (EToT * DPS)+SUM[(ToT*Misc)]_Misc Effects that is the effective time on target multiplied by the DPS plus the total time on target for the misc effects damage (dots etc that continue to tick while moving etc).

I have seen the same character go from 50% of damage done in the group, to 20% (moving from 1st to 4th in Damage Done) due to time on target pulling with the tank vs pulling after the tank. In short fights, EToT is the criteria more so than DPS.

For raid encounters a larger part is the lack of knowledge, however there is a much higher level of personal responsibility in a PUG than in a guild raid. While you can could on a healer to handle and know your life-tapping Lock's habits in a guild raid such an attitude gets you killed in a PUG. Thus you are far more cautious in a PUG than in the same guild run (same for standing in fires, you can likely finish a cast then utilise the next gcd to reacquire resources or similar in a guild run, however fires are bad in PUGs). There is a lot more to low DPS than simply not knowing the right rotations.

On Gearscore

Gearscore is a weighted summation of iLevels of your currently worn gear, meaning it has no relevance at all to the quality of gear. A better version could be made and class-specific if you accept a massive inflation of the database size (10 classes x gear score value as opposed to 1 x weighted x iLevel). It is a relatively effective tool to measure potential as a "has seen latest raid content" or "has still to farm heroics" but beyond that its a little harder to define since trinkets offer a swing of about 150 points.

Overall, its a tool to simplify your checking progress, there is little point to taking a 3000 GS person to ToCGC25 given their potential is massively lower than that of someone at 5000 (assuming a linear gear scaling which as we both note doesn't actually happen). However it does let you weed out the definite noes faster.
    Last edited by 2ndNin; 12-24-2009 at 04:58 AM.

Well i understood the Merry Christmas bit....

:P

Basically, DPS in heroics is about time on target, its why a tank sustaining 1.5k can still be easily top on damage done, sustained time on target. The difference of 3-4seconds before starting dps + tick times on AoE (1-2s before the first tick) can make a massive difference on a 15s fight.

In raids and similar there are a lot of additional factor that guild runs do not encounter. For example dealing with accidental aggro on whelps, timing of life taps etc all of which can massively affect dps. Taking Onyxia as an example you tend to wait longer to DPS in a pug (for fear of being whelped and thus being a floor hugger) than in a guild run where you know the tank will pick up, or at worst you will get heals.

These factors add up to make PUG DPS significantly harder than guild run DPS. If you get a good tank a lot of these seem to disappear but its a different situation each PUG.

On the gear score stuff it tells you one of four things:

1: Undergeared
    2: Gearing up through heroics / Non-current content
    3: Geared for current content
    4: Geared from current content

However the issue is that gear does not scale linearly with item level, the darkmoon card: greatness is still better than many other trinkets of higher level. This problem could be fixed to make the addon smart, however it would be a lot heavier weightass it would not simply be a sum of (slot modifier)* (item level) but a precalculated value based on class, spec and other gearing at current.

What this means is that you have to consider a swing of ~150-300 GS to be nearly irrelevant to account for trinkets etc being "overvalued", meaning when considering "end of conquest items" to be 4400, "end of triumphs" to be ~4800 you want to look +-300 as still acceptable.

As an example the armour penetration gear becomes far more valuable the more you have on some classes, 1 piece is ok, 2 is good, 3 is <3.
    Last edited by 2ndNin; 12-24-2009 at 07:51 AM.

Just wondering does anyone know where to get the tiny plate addon seems like a really helpful thing

Quote Originally Posted by Aviriorix View Post
    Just wondering does anyone know where to get the tiny plate addon seems like a really helpful thing
    Tidy Plates: Clean Plates - WoW AddOns - WowAce.com

Theres the WoWace link, although I'm sure you could find it on curse as well.

As for gearscore, yeah I'm not a fan of that addon, my gear score is much higher in my PvP gear, mostly relentless and furious, compared to my PvE gear which is mostly Ilvl 232 and still some ulduar peices.

Even after that I still pump out more raw damage than most people of equivalent or higher scores. I use be.imba.hu or wow-heroes to check, although thats just about as touchy :/
    Last edited by Lakshata; 12-24-2009 at 11:13 AM.

Well I have been using an addon for quite sometime called Examiner. Nice lil app that gets all the info you want. Pops it up on your inspect ui very simple and lite weight. Not the end all be all but easier than alt+tabbing and searching armory. And no I have yet to see a 'I suck and refuse to take advice' addon.

Examiner - Addons - Curse

Merry Christmas and Lore Shave it or go home

from frodo to golem in one haircut.

LOL

Doc

Funny story, re: GearScore.

I have a DK on a second server to play with some friends. All of my other 80s are on a different server, along with their achievements and local reputation. My new little DK hit 80 last Monday night, and in the 6 days since has gotten 4 pieces of t9.0, both epic rings (200, 245), 219 helm, weapon, belt, and 200 blue neck, cloak, and other trinket. Haven't upgraded my sigil (will happen tonight), and have 187 blue bracers (BS craftable, all Str/Crit/Hit, better than most 200 bracers from heroics). So, long story short, she's sporting an avg ilvl of around 204, and her gear score is probably relatively low.

I joined a random HoR heroic pug. Within 5 seconds of loading in (not long enough to *actually* look at my gear, the "healer" (in shadow spec, not switched yet) informs me, "DK you're not geared enough."

I tell her not to worry and my friend who queued with me tells her that I can totally hold my own (and in fact I'd cleared this instance previously). She insists I'm just not geared enough even if the LFG system let me queue for HoR.

The rest of the group just wants to get going at this point, so they tell her to go with it and see what happens. They start the intro, but when time comes for the pulls she refuses to swap specs, "I'm not healing under-geared dps!" The pulls start, we all die. Now that group is pissed at her and demanding she pay for their repair bills.

I'm not usually the hot-headed sort, so I just told her, "it's simple, if you don't want to play your part, you can leave or we can kick you." She said, "I'll just stick around until you do." 5 seconds later she's kicked and we got a very good sport of a Paladin healer (awful instance to heal as a Paladin in the first waves).

We clear the instance lickity split, even missed the high-speed achievement on the final gauntlet by 3 seconds. I was #1 on DPS at about 4.2k average overall.

GearScore is not a measure of player skill. True story. =)

Really wish I could've linked her damage meters so maybe she could've learned to loosen up...
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

+ Reply to Thread