+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DK Gemming and Gear Issues

DK Gemming and Gear Issues

The World of Warcraft Armory

I've been getting a flood of new gear since the patch but I'm not real sure I've been gemming it correctly. I need some advice on my gems and any other advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Also, I'm looking to do ToC 10-25man and ICC soon. What do I need to be prepared for this? Thanks in advance!

We can quibble about a few things (I'd replace the parry/stam gem with a straight stam gem), but overall not too bad.

You're a bit short on expertise and your threat probably suffers some as a result. Either of the Onyxia two-handers would be ideal, but those can be hard to come by. There is a two-handed sword that drops from the Lich King escape chest on Halls of Reflection normal that would serve you quite a bit better than that Edge of Ruin. Normal difficulty too so you can run it several times until the sword drops for you. There is also a tanking cloak in normal that drops from Falric which you might like.

I'd also suggest getting some Saronite Swordbreaker bracers and Spiked Deathdealer boots crafted. Both are big upgrades to you (and include sockets) and relatively cheap now.

I've updated quite a bit since this post and have taken some of your advice. And yes, my threat is suffering. So do I need to gem for hit rating?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnon View Post
    I've updated quite a bit since this post and have taken some of your advice. And yes, my threat is suffering. So do I need to gem for hit rating?
    No, your expertise looks fine though, so threat shouldn't be an issue.
    but, I'd try to maintain above 200 hit rating, aka- replace your def/stam gem with hit/stam.

I'd also re-enchant your cloak to +225 armor, especially with you being at 550 defense.

I agree. Your expertise is fine now, but 131 hit is kinda low. Increasing it, will help with dmg/threat and help that you don't miss a taunt at an important time.
    Also, do you have Rune Strike macroed to all your abilities?

Absolutely, whenever it's up, I'm using it!

Ok so add a +hit/+stam gem instead of the +def/stam and re-enchant cloak for +armor instead of +def. Rodger. Any other advice?

You guys rock! Thank you SO much for taking the time to help me out! I'm one of the main tanks for my guild and I'm trying to make sure I'm at the top of my game.

On a complete side note: Should I be be looking at switching to blood spec? I really enjoy frost and I'm quite comfortable with it and it's great for heroics (great aoe threat generation), but will it do for raiding?

Frost and Blood each shine on different fights, but overall they're about even for raiding. Choose the playstyle that you prefer.

I would also lose the dodge trinkets as well (or at least save them for an encounter that favors avoidance like... I dunno, something with a lot of adds). Fervor of the Frostbornis pretty bad - dodge < stamina in almost all cases, plus the on-use is horrid, takes too long to stack up and then it's gone. Ick's Rotting Thumb is basically the same issue, but with a decent on-use this time.

I'd replace them with stamina or armor trinkets - Black Heart, Brewfest trinkets if available, Glyph of Indomitability, the blue JC crab, all are viable choices.

Spec looks good, the rest of your gear looks good.

+ Reply to Thread