+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Avatar the Movie

So I have not been out to the movies in a long time. Last night the wife says to me "I'm gonna shock you". Puzzled I ask, she says she wants to see the movie Avatar. Now this is shocking cause she hates WoW and is not really into fantasy type movies.

So I looked at a preview, thought sure this looks ok. PG-13 so its probably gonna be more for the kiddies right?

Wrong. This movie was quite simply AMAZING!

It felt like the Matrix mixed with Braveheart. I never really get excited about movies and I have never gone to see one twice in the theater, but I'm going back again for this one.

YouTube - Avatar: The Movie (New Extended HD Trailer)
    Last edited by Bodasafa; 12-19-2009 at 10:35 PM.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

It's a fantastic movie. A bit cheesy at times, but that should be expected from a Hollywood production. After watching it, I wanted to see it again already :-)

I saw this movie in Imax twice and I have to say I can't see a production meeting its bar for atleast 5 years. The technology used surpassed any film ever made, and the setting was actualy was not to out there when given thought. James Cameron came up with this world before his production Titanic and he has spent a decade waiting for the technology to create Pandora. He spent two years with scientists using actual creatures we find on earth and altering their appearance, vital functions (breathing wholes on some of the creatures), and size do to surplus of resources. Although I wasn't to fond of the anti-war and anti-George Bush undertones, "Be back by dinner time" "shock and awe", I believe the plot and the main message of the film are quite something. I would give this moving an A and an A+ when viewed in Imax.

Visually amazing. The whole Dances With the Last Samurai in Fern Gully bullshit plot (PAGING WHITE MAN TO SOLVE OUR PROBLEMS, WHITE MAN TO BLUE TRIBE) can DIAF.
    Got a question? Try here: Evil Empire Guides and here: Tankspot Guides and Articles Library first!

Yea the plot I found interesting was the evolution of the life, and how the life systems on Pandora are electrochemically connected. I also like the idea of understanding the brain, and the nervous system in general to take on a project like the Avatars. The whole Native American/Global Warming/Anti-GoP Romance was something I overlooked.

Another aspect I really liked besides the visuals was the music. James Horner did a great job. While I agree with Satrina about the whole "white man save us" BS that I too didn't care for, I do believe the overall message was spot on.

Ive seen it twice now in the theaters, if I had the money I'd go for IMAX next.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Yea that eighth note rythm into a long tone done on what sounded kinda like a C Trumpet during scenes where everything hit the fan was realy perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Satrina View Post
    Visually amazing. The whole Dances With the Last Samurai in Fern Gully bullshit plot (PAGING WHITE MAN TO SOLVE OUR PROBLEMS, WHITE MAN TO BLUE TRIBE) can DIAF.
    You left out Pocahontas!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Yeah it was political and shallow, but I thought that was easy enough to look past to really enjoy the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    Yeah it was political and shallow, but I thought that was easy enough to look past to really enjoy the movie.
    Agreed.

Loved it!

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

It was a fun movie.

To be honest, though, i'm more excited about the fact that Cameron said he would be working on a live-action Battle Angel Alita movie, after Avatar. :woot:

Yo listen up here's a story
    About a little guy that lives in a blue world
    And all day and all night and everything he sees
    Is just blue like him inside and outside
    Blue his house with a blue little window
    And a blue corvette
    And everything is blue for him and hisself
    And everybody around
    Cos he ain't got nobody to listen to

Combine that with Pocahontas and you got Avatar.
    And yes if awesomeness was a waterfall... Avatar would be Niagara Falls

Quote Originally Posted by DwarvenTankard View Post
    Yo listen up here's a story
    About a little guy that lives in a blue world
    And all day and all night and everything he sees
    Is just blue like him inside and outside
    Blue his house with a blue little window
    And a blue corvette
    And everything is blue for him and hisself
    And everybody around
    Cos he ain't got nobody to listen to
    I hate you now that it's stuck in my head.
    "Just because it's not nice doesn't mean it's not miraculous." - T. P.

7 weeks and still #1 in the box office by a lot, 35 mill this past weekend i think, this thing is breaking records on a dramatic scale.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

I'm currently deployed overseas and the Avatar Cast & Crew flew out to my ship for two days for a visit, so I've had the pleasure of meeting them

So I wasn't the only person who thought this movie was a live action Fern Gully remake !

Quote Originally Posted by Fastous View Post
    I'm currently deployed overseas and the Avatar Cast & Crew flew out to my ship for two days for a visit, so I've had the pleasure of meeting them
    If Sigourney Weaver was there, whatever you do dont let that friggin' spider thingy suck your face off and hatch out of your stomach..OMG not again ...

Quote Originally Posted by Garrot View Post
    .OMG not again ...
    Spaceballs the Movie FTW~!

Quote Originally Posted by Garrot View Post
    If Sigourney Weaver was there, whatever you do dont let that friggin' spider thingy suck your face off and hatch out of your stomach..OMG not again ...
    We actually set up a scene from Aliens in our Medical Ward, we had one of our CPR dummies covered with a blanket like he was a corpse and then had one of the aliens ripping through the sheet and sticking out, it was pretty cool. I would imagine that Sigourney Weaver was like yeahh... great... I'm here for Avatar? lol

Only thread I could search up on this...

Avatar/Pocahontas Mashup (I don't know how to embed vimeo)

+ Reply to Thread