+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stacking Defense

Stacking Defense

What's up guys. I'm a protection warrior, and up until recently, my gear goals have been pretty straightforward. For a long time after I hit the 540 defense minimum (I thought of it as the "cap" at that point -- have since been enlightened), all I did was stack stamina gems in my slots. However, after a long time discussing avoidance and defense with a lot of more experienced tanks than myself, I decided to screw stamina over in favor of stam/avoidance hybrid gems, using socket bonuses as a guide. Here's my armory.

The World of Warcraft Armory

To the question at hand - I just picked up Headplate of the Honorbound - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft. As you can see, it has an exorbitantly higher amount of defense then my old helm. I'm aware there is no "hard cap" for defense, but at what point does it become a little overkill to gem defense? I'm asking because I'm at 579 right now, before I even gem or equip the helm. If I gem it with bonuses in mind, I'll probably crack the 590 mark, which is the highest defense I've personally seen in the game. If I follow the socket bonuses, I'll only lose 8 stamina ~ 80 hp, so it's not like it's a huge deal.

Also, for your information, I don't have tanking "sets". I've been seeking out a single set that is usable for all fights, and so far, I like what I've got. The other thing to consider here is my sword - at 579 defense, when it proc's, it bumps me to 601 -- and it proc's all the time. With 590, I'll be over 610. It just seems to me that I might be overdoing it a little bit. I currently am successfully maintanking ICC 10/25 and tanking ToGC 25 (since there really isn't a "main tank" per se), so this isn't a huge issue. A little info would be awesome, and go easy on the formulas and calculations - I'm a history major.

EDIT: 583 defense with it gemmed for bonuses. I figured the calculations wrong, but still, any info would be a great help.
    Last edited by Badfactory; 12-18-2009 at 10:46 PM.

To be honest, 540 is the absolute minumum people should aim close for because other stats become more useful after hitting said number.

To put it simply, 540 makes your character basically crit-proof in "normal" situational hits. There are fights that take this off from you but there's reasons why.

You're better off finding a balance for Stamina and Avoidance stacking. Otherwise, minute increases in avoidance is what you stand to get from Defence stacking.
    Healing is the source of life. Without it, you're left with death.

The general gemming philosphy is to either stack stam or socket any +9 or +12 stam bonus with hybrid gems.

You might check out http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f97/6...ing-guide.html for more.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

+ Reply to Thread