+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Help me save our guild.

Casual and raiding is NOT mutually exclusive. You can raid twice a week without any hardcore demands on your raiders and still do fine for all the raids up to and including toc25 at least. The thing casual will do to your raiding is slower progress, probably not hardmodes and less focus on the gearing up outside of raids.

Casual does not mean you dont know your class or you dont know what to put in your socket.

Its not the guildmasters responsibility to cultivate a hardcore raiding attitude in the guild if the members just want to do their thing and do a raid or two every now and then! The members is just as responsible for the path you choose in your raiding as far as if they want to go hardcore or casual goes. If the members want to be casual about it and you try to force a hardcore raiding attitude on them, guess what - the guild WILL fall apart.

I thought some of you would like a bit of an update.

I have had some really good discussions with most of the other officers this week. Since most of us have careers outside of WoW, our raid times are limited to a couple of nights during the week, and some weekends.

Here's our plan so far. We're picking our 10 best/most well equipped/least likely to die in fire. We are going to attack Ulduar with these 10 on our weeknights until we can get through it. We are also going to use the weekend slots as a testing and proving grounds for those who are undergeared, or need to learn more raid awareness etc. Obviously, there will be some overlap of the groups, as our tank shortage won't allow us to form two completely separate groups. From here, we should be able to pick out those who are really struggling and try and help them. I realize some may still not make the cut, but I feel like I/we owe it to them to give it the old college try.

Second, and possibly most important is the fact that I think we may have found our "Raid Leader". He's a relatively newer addition to the guild, but has spent time raiding with other toons, and knows the fights. He's also really good at explaining the fight mechanics without bogging everyone down in small details. I've talked with him a good deal lately and he is willing to fill that role, but is concerned that since he is newer, he won't get the same response that our senior people have. So for the time being, I will set up the raids and make sure that everyone is showing up on time and prepared, and he and I will do the fight walkthroughs.

In fact, we implemented this plan last night, and downed 6 bosses in Uld within about 2.5 hours. FL, Ignis, Razor, XT, Kologarn, we managed to 1-shot, and the Crazy Cat Lady took 2 attempts due to some confusion at the start of the fight. Morale was really good after the raid. We stopped mainly due to time constraints, but it seemed like a highly successful night overall.

I thank all of you for your input. It's nice to see people willing to help others out.

The initial pull on crazy cat lady is a bit tricky usually. Once you have the pull down it tends to go fairly smooth.

One thing about the raid leader. He should have the cohones to tell people to shut up and do what he says or impose penalties if needed. One thing is to know the tactics and explain them, but there will unavoidably be times where its neccesary to take swift and brutal action.

Maybe one more thing. I found out that (I believe many fellow readers will confirm that), that Ulduar can be frustrating at times (Hodir, people jus not jumping or getting to safety, Throim getting the balance right between the 2 teams). In case you hit a rough patch, I would propose you take a small break from ulduar and go for a TOC 10 man, personally I think its a lot easier, generally doen't need as much coordination (lets say like Mimiron) and peope will get loot they might actually still need.

Actually, that is one of the reasons we chose him as our raid leader. He knows the strats pretty well, and he's not shy about pointing out stupid mistakes. Actually, he can be a bit rough at times, which we probably need. I think that we will make a pretty good team for leading these things. Our most successful night in Ulduar speaks pretty well. And it is a good place to work on raid mechanics and coordination it seems.

As for ToC, we've struggled in there before. May need to give it a try once more, with this different group, and leadership. We mostly wanted to start of with some successes to boost morale and confidence. But we also wanted it to be challenging. Hopefully, ToC will be around the corner, and then on to the Citadel. But with all the changes brought about by the passing of our GM, we decided to take things a bit slowly at first. I know Uld is probably old hat to most here, but a large portion of our guild has limited experience in there. In fact, I would venture to say that a good majority of us have not gone beyond the crazy cat lady. I myself have only gone to Freya once before, and died a horrid death, lol.

And in response to the casual vs. raiding. I understand your point. I guess I should stop referring to us as a casual guild. But we definitely aren't hardcore, and we won't ever be. We will never raid 5 nights a week. And we will probably be raiding a tier or two behind the "hardcore, bleeding edge" guilds. And I think we are ok with that. Who knows, with the restructuring, we may get to ICC sooner than I think.

+ Reply to Thread