+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Agg's Prot War Tanking Guide

Taunt gives you the threat of the person that currently holds aggro. It's also 110% for melee but 130% for ranged.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

ahh let me rephrase what I was trying to ask:
    So first off the bat I check I'm guessing taunting doesn't provide any threat itself, I'm a paladin so I obviously get the HoR damage as threat but I checked and thats the only threat that gets applied from the taunt.
    next off the bat taunting off someone and what that does
    So lets say I'm main tanking and I have perfectly 100k threat on the boss and the hunter pulls as he just hits 130k threat now given that these values are exact and in the time it takes me to taunt that not a single tick of threat goes through, will my raw threat value be placed at 110% of 130k or 130% of 130k?

confirmed taunt will not increase if you're in threat lead or if a dps is riding on <=109% threat.

you at 100k, hunter at 130k and pulls aggro.

You taunt you go to 130k threat.

Thats the new base 100% threat and the cycle continues.

hey,
    had a question about tanking weapons. i've been out of the loop for quite a while see 6-8months. and i'm carrying http://www.wowhead.com/item=47967 Crusaders Glory for EHP, what weapon is a big enough upgrade to make that lose of EHP worth it? got blooddraining on it ofc. also got silverwing defender in the bags for those AV needing fights(saurfang&battleship e.g) or the normal lastword for threat fights.
    Last edited by Achilliesx; 08-07-2010 at 08:24 PM.

unless you run into major TPS issues and nothing else you can do seems to help you, there isn't really much in terms of warranting a new weapon in terms of EH. I switched to troggbane just because i felt like a change of weapon, EH wise, CGlory is still king i think.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Ya, I think the only thing that beats it in terms of EHP is a heroic TLK weapon... I don't really remember.

It never dropped for me so I never had to face that dilema. I did get Ogrim's Deflector though /facepalm
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.

that clearing up i also meant with expertise being low with t10 itemisation, no i don't have the boots from valithria, what weapon offer the least penalty and makes up for it in other stats on bosses where tps is more demanding. this is probably stated somewhere on elitistjerk or tankspot, but being on a 7months hiatus and out of the loop of endgame raiding, asking here is much more simpler at the moment

Do you have access to heroic facelifter? That's probably the weapon I might consider using first over Crusader's Glory.

In terms of pure EH, I believe the only weapons that win are the two H LK weapons (10 man axe, 25 man mace).

If you find yourself needing a threat boost though, any of the 264 weapons would do the trick without losing too much EH.

Last Word is acceptable - the heal proc isn't outstanding but then again neither is dodge or parry, and it really isn't outstanding for Warrior threat like it is for Paladins. But it's acceptable, in your situation though I think you're smart to use it merely as a threat weapon.

The two H 10m weapons are superior to Last Word, especially H Facelifter (expertise yum!). Bonebreaker is basically the same thing as Facelifter, except with hit instead of expertise and 0.1 seconds slower.

I'm also having a hard time thinking of a reason to keep Silverwing Defender (or whatever you silly hordies call it) kicking around. There are really no "avoidance" fights at the current tier of raiding - maybe if Lootship adds hit hard at all (I've tanked H Gunship without a shield equipped, and my healers didn't notice till someone mentioned it over vent halfway through the fight... good times). Saurfang deals the Mark damage whether he hits you or not, so if you're going to stack anything make it armor (mitigates the damage on you at least).

The horde equivalent is orgrim's deflector. It's good because of 87 stam + socket + since it's really high damage it does a butload of threat. It's itemized pretty well. I also never saw the 264 weapons drop though, so it wasn't really an issue for me =P. All I knew is that it was better than Quel'Serrar, which is what I was using.

Edit: whoops, got the 264 versions mixed up with the 251 versions. Ya if you can get a H-10 man sword they're better than silverwing/ogrim's.
    Last edited by Aggathon; 08-10-2010 at 11:23 AM.

i pretty much got access to any and all weaps untill LK25man heroic. in a raid so i'll read the replies in a bit

well now that the raid is over, here's me:
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...angiel&gn=Lost

in bag i've got, Lastword(normal) & Silverwing Defender. barely using Sdefender cuz i'm playing arround in my ehp set most of the time even where fights benefit more from avoidence (Lootship and Saurfang) i just stick with Crusaders Glory since it the fights are pretty much faceroll so to say. on heroics i switch to lastword or in raids for trash and so on. so yea barely using silverwing defender.

im liking the suggestion of picking up Facelifter(h) and stick with it, and ofc switch to crusaders glory on survival fights, LK HC, festurgut and so on, but other then that sticking with facelifter and hope i get lucky on the boots with valithria which would solve my expertise issue, not really bothered with hit since im using glyph of taunt, leaving me open to focus on other stats rather then hit which i dont really like to gear for, push come to shove, the rings are there.

and while were on the topic of ehp, is it correct Unidentified organ(H) and the trinket from sindrigosa(H) best combination for EH?

ps. don't mind the exp/stam gems which i'll be swapping out for agi/stam for EHP.

UO is debatable because the stacks aren't really reliable if you're only tanking 1 thing. It only averages about 3 stacks. It's really really good and is definitely up there, but I'd hesitate to say best.

Imo H-Satrina's Impeding Scarab is the best because of the on use effect, even if it is a little lower than sindragosa's fang.

i agree with you there about impeding scarab, but not having it doesn't make it a viable option for me, Corroded skeleton key with warrior 4set bonus is the otheralternative which is doable with tank switches and so on

Ya, I mean I constantly switch trinkets out. Sometimes I'll run corroded/jug's vit (horde version of satrina's) and sometimes I'd run with UO/Glyph of Indom (usually in PuGs if the healers were really bad, the extra armor makes their jobs easier a lot of the time).

If on blood princes you tank the two guys by yourself, then UO wins hands down.

hey, Im currently looking for a wepon upgrade from reg facelifter.( looking for threat boost) assuming lk is not possible right now as everyone is focused on 25 h progress, what should i be looking to get?

Heroic face lifter? facelifter is pretty legit. Maybe the heroic marrowgar mace?

Well, Heroic Last Word is hands down the best TPS weapon in game currently. There is a spreadsheet somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Raij View Post
    Well, Heroic Last Word is hands down the best TPS weapon in game currently. There is a spreadsheet somewhere.
    I know this is true for a Paladin, but I thought H Mithrios was superior for a Warrior because of the higher weapon DPS and the expertise? (and the stam, although that's not related to threat :-P )

It is superior, but if you are going by straight TPS, the Str from Last Word outweighs the Expertise. That said I can't think of a real situation where I'd ever use Last Word over my heroic Mithrios.

+ Reply to Thread