+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Agg's Prot War Tanking Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Aberen View Post
    I like this guide, did anyone mention that you can easily use a hit trinket if you need to? Probably cheaper and easier than glyphing.
    Would you put on a hit trinket for Algalon? That is one of the encounters where a taunt landing is vital, and one of a few in that catergory that I wouldn't feel too good about using a non-tank-stats trinket for. Loosing a few thousand hp instead of a single glyph slot sounds a little silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Proletaria View Post
    Would you put on a hit trinket for Algalon? That is one of the encounters where a taunt landing is vital, and one of a few in that catergory that I wouldn't feel too good about using a non-tank-stats trinket for. Loosing a few thousand hp instead of a single glyph slot sounds a little silly.
    I have to agree, I would never equip a hit trinket.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

I use a hit trinket in my retarded single target tanking DPS set; but only because it also has ArP.

And I mean the set I never use except for Epeen contests, where 12k tps and 3k+ dps is fun. (What I like to believe I'm a paladin sometimes!)

Be a Champion, not a hero.
    Drae

http://www.zetbit.com/sig-1454507.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by drae View Post
    I use a hit trinket in my retarded single target tanking DPS set; but only because it also has ArP.

And I mean the set I never use except for Epeen contests, where 12k tps and 3k+ dps is fun. (What I like to believe I'm a paladin sometimes!)
    AFAIK, the on-hit ArP trinkets (such as the Needle-Encrusted Scorpion) will generally yield a bit better DPS than Hit trinkets, but I presume you're talking about Grim Toll--which is quite good, overall, for DPS increases.
    Maintainer of Rawr.ProtWarr theorycrafting tool. Feel free to PM suggestions or feature requests!

I added a footnote [3] with more taunt information.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Kojiyama View Post
    AFAIK, the on-hit ArP trinkets (such as the Needle-Encrusted Scorpion) will generally yield a bit better DPS than Hit trinkets, but I presume you're talking about Grim Toll--which is quite good, overall, for DPS increases.
    I am talking about the grim toll. I've been using it for a year in that set.. even tho I have a NES now, without the hit on some trinket I can't cap that stat... and since GT proc's ArP... best of both worlds!

The goal of the set was Hit Cap, Expertise @ 12%+, and SBV contribution to SS Capped just to see what kinda numbers I could reach.

Be a Champion, not a hero.
    Drae

http://www.zetbit.com/sig-1454507.jpg

I would give a shout out to the new EJ spread sheet Tanking Spreadsheet 3.3 - Elitist Jerks in the comparing gear section Agg. It is similar to RAWR but has extra features such as you can do boss profiles where it breaks down how important Burst Time, Mitigation, Threat and dps are on them. You can also create a custom boss and put in what ever percentage you choose to put in. Or you can simply put in what ever stat values you choose to put in.

It is also in spread sheet form which I am sure a few people prefer.

So added.

I was told that most bosses dont parry haste anymore, which makes me feel like an idiot for using Stam+Exp gems in red sockets. Following tankspot for tanking during BC and early WotLK (DPS most of the time now) it seems many prefer'd expertise due to its threat and "avoidance" by decreasing parries.

However most heavy hitting bosses such as Gormok and I think Festergut dont even parry haste. I hear Putrecide doesn't either and if he did he swings to damn fast for it to even matter. After that most things in ICC just dont hit as hard anymore regardless so getting gibbed isn't such a big deal. So is the high belief to just go with stam/dodge?

BTW: I believe the minmax DPS spec for Paladins doesn't use Vindication, and I spec Incite as Arms so no Commanding Presence, nor does our Fury Warrior have it. Might be worth mentioning
    Last edited by Kahmal; 01-21-2010 at 01:03 AM.

I don't really seem to recall advocating for expertise as far as parry haste goes very much. However it is still a very very solid threat stat. Even if bosses parry haste, like you said, they hit faster now anyways and like saurfang's swing timer is 1.2 or something, so getting a parry haste would be really close to just getting another hit, even then, the amount they hit for (while still higher than ToC) is less than it would have been, so it is easier to survive a parry haste if you are gearing for EHP, like you should be imo.

Prot pallies should have vindication. Feral druids should have imp demo roar.

Why are your dps warriors bad? =P, naw ours only usually run with 3/5 or 4/5, but imo it's not a big enough difference to sack all the other utility you can pick up if you don't need it, which I think I do mention iirc.

Furthermore, while there is expertise to be found, you do have to more carefully plan your gear in ICC than you had to in ToC as far as expertise goes. Expertise was out da butt in ToC, but really, as long as you have 26 expertise, you shouldn't really gem for it.

Updated spec and footnote 2 for 3.3.2 updates. Let me know if I missed anything and still say revenge is better than devastate somewhere =P.

The link still shows speccing into imp revenge even though the paragraph suggests against it.

Quote Originally Posted by mistersix View Post
    The link still shows speccing into imp revenge even though the paragraph suggests against it.
    Good catch, hopefully it works now. The URL was right, but it was still tied to the old link when you clicked on it, it was kinda weird.

Very welcome. Looks good. Great work on the guide if I haven't said so before.

Jayde and WarTotem have been digging into the burst threat numbers around glyphed mocking blow. It might be worth mentioning their threads in the glyph section of the guide.

Great guide, very comprehensive and one of the few up to date guides out there as far as I can tell.

A small addition: Vene posted on Tankingtips that you should either glyph and spec for Shield Wall or do neither one.
    Maybe valid to point out link between the glyph and Imp. Disciplines more clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by GronkerLonker View Post
    Great guide, very comprehensive and one of the few up to date guides out there as far as I can tell.

A small addition: Vene posted on Tankingtips that you should either glyph and spec for Shield Wall or do neither one.
    Maybe valid to point out link between the glyph and Imp. Disciplines more clearly.

I think that the dropping of revenge all together in 3.3.2 makes the spec a lot more fluid now. No matter how you slice it you are going to have 2 points floating. The only way to drop imp disciplines is if you put those 2 points into puncture and/or shield spec too, which I think is superfluous. I think there is no reason to not spec for imp disciplines any more, but that there may be some fights where glyph of shield wall isn't optimal (I don't actually know what fight that might be off the top of my head though). Point is, imo it's about whether or not you're going to use the glyph on a fight by fight basis, I personally think that post 3.3.2 you should probably be specing it anyways.

Thus far no comments about conc blow or devastate changes in the latest patch notes. Our talk of alt builds because of it may be too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by mistersix View Post
    Thus far no comments about conc blow or devastate changes in the latest patch notes. Our talk of alt builds because of it may be too soon.
    Ya... looks like they changed the patch notes, damnit, now I'm gonna have to go through and re-write that.

Okay I reverted the guide since the devastate changes didn't make the final cut to 3.3.2 it seems.

However when blizzard makes a blue post tomorrow saying they made the change but just forgot to put it in the patch notes, I may kill someone, just sayin'.

Oehm... http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...d=1&pageNo=1#1

Warriors

Talents

Protection

Concussion Blow: The damage done by this ability has been reduced by 50%, but its threat generation will remain approximately the same.
    Devastate: This ability now deals 120% of weapon damage, up from 100% of weapon damage.
    Shield Slam: The damage scaling from block value for this ability now diminishes faster and diminishes starting at a lower block value. The difference should be negligible for players in high-end tanking armor. In addition, the threat caused by Shield Slam has been increased by 30%.
    Warbringer: This talent no longer allows Charge and Intercept to break roots or snares. Intervene remains unaffected.

And mmo-champion updated them again too...

/me dodges to not get killed

+ Reply to Thread