+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cooldowns, when and what do you use

Cooldowns, when and what do you use

so i posted on a thread that started talking about glyphs and which to use. I see most tanks rolling with Glyph of SW... I always considered shield wall a "panic button". when spending my TP's i chose the one that shortened the CD of shield wall and was told to remove those TP's form that spot and put them elsewhere...

if thats the case, what makes the glyph of shield wall beneficial? When do you use your Cooldowns? what is your sequence? i didnt know there was a strategy to it. I always thought you used them when you were in trouble to help the healer get you back up in HP....

HELP!!!

Cleetis

I usually macro Last Stand and Enraged Regeneration together, for the health boost and a nice bit of health regen. Kinda pointless to pop those two seperately in my opinion.

Basically I alternate cooldowns to help weather out either big spikes of damage or moments where my healer is incapacitated. Say for example, if I know Maexxna (to use an outdated example) is about to wrap everyone, i'll pop Last Stand and Enraged Regen right before so i have the health boost and regen ticking while she's beating on me. Next time around I'll pop shield wall, and hopefully by the time she sprays web again Last stand will be available again.

Other examples might include : My offtank getting a snobold on gormok and being unable to taunt until its killed. I might pop a cooldown to weather an extra stack or two of impale until he's able to get the boss off me.

Or, say we're on Lord Marrowgar in ICC. I might use a cooldown if a healer gets bone spiked, or when we're picking him up at the end of bone storm. I have the glyphs and the talent points in improved disciplines to make the cooldowns as short as possible, so might as well use them often, right?

*edit* I guess the point I'm trying to make is use your cooldowns PROactively instead of reactively. If you wait until you're in an "OH SH--" situation and start blowing them all at once you're probably already too late.

Quote Originally Posted by cleetis View Post
    so i posted on a thread that started talking about glyphs and which to use. I see most tanks rolling with Glyph of SW... I always considered shield wall a "panic button". when spending my TP's i chose the one that shortened the CD of shield wall and was told to remove those TP's form that spot and put them elsewhere...

if thats the case, what makes the glyph of shield wall beneficial? When do you use your Cooldowns? what is your sequence? i didnt know there was a strategy to it. I always thought you used them when you were in trouble to help the healer get you back up in HP....

HELP!!!

Cleetis
    Shield Wall is not a panic button. It's a "it would be good for the raid if I take less damage right now" button. That could be from a big WTF attack that you need to mitigate, or it could be because one of your healers went down and you need to survive until the battle res, or maybe the raid is taking a ton of damage and you need to let the healers concentrate on them for a moment, or it could simply be that there's no better time to use it.

If you're waiting until the panic moment to use your shield wall, you're not using it proactively as you should be. The same goes for all your cooldowns.

+ Reply to Thread