+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Taunt not on DR anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by drae View Post
    If someone has to do 10% more then you to pull aggro, and my offtank taunts... would that not increase the total threat against the mob by 10%? Then if I taunt an additional 10%?

I've never considered this before, but my understanding was the following was possible:

Tank 1 Attacks the boss = 100%
    Tank 2 immediately taunts the boss = 110%
    Tank 1 taunts immediately after tank 2 does = 120%
    Tank 2 taunts it back = 130%
    etc etc.
    No

Quote Originally Posted by drae View Post
    But now I'm wondering if it works like:
    Tank 1 attacks the boss = 100%
    Tank 2 immediately taunts boss = stays 100%
    Tank 1 taunts immediately after tank 2 does = stays 100%
    Tank 2 taunts it back = stays 100%
    etc etc.

And I'm talking total threat on the Boss like say a dps that never attacked the boss.

Basically I can't remember which is true. I've never really considered successive taunts and their impact on the threat table in this manner.
    Yes. All taunt is doing is making you the target and granting you equal threat of the current target. I'm fairly certain it doesn't even give you threat equal to the highest on the table, because in that case you could watch Omen for a ranged to spike up to 125% threat, taunt before the mob peels away, and instantly have that boost in your threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    people don't know how to keep it in their pants for a little bit before exploding all over my face.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimoos View Post
    No

Yes. All taunt is doing is making you the target and granting you equal threat of the current target. I'm fairly certain it doesn't even give you threat equal to the highest on the table, because in that case you could watch Omen for a ranged to spike up to 125% threat, taunt before the mob peels away, and instantly have that boost in your threat.
    Ya I've tried that before and it didn't apprear to work. Much to the disappointment of my warlock friend on twin valks. It's the current targets threat that you equalize to; of that I am fairly certain.

Makes a lot more sense now, damn the misinformation spread by the masses!

Be a Champion, not a hero.
    Drae

http://www.zetbit.com/sig-1454507.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Optimoos View Post
    No

Right.

Basically, as it is now the DR will only be a risk if the taunts are used to exploit the 4 second fixate of taunt in a chain, rather than use taunt every 10 sec CD.

I also read a blue post sometime a while ago that they would only have the taunt DR mechanic applied to bosses that could be exploited by it, and not as a general rule as it was pre 3.3.
    Xíanth <Valkyria>

Quote Originally Posted by Xianth View Post
    I also read a blue post sometime a while ago that they would only have the taunt DR mechanic applied to bosses that could be exploited by it, and not as a general rule as it was pre 3.3.
    I've seen this as well.

Be a Champion, not a hero.
    Drae

http://www.zetbit.com/sig-1454507.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    ya, I mean... I can't confirm that, but it makes sense to me.

0 seconds: Taunt 1
    10 Seconds: Taunt 2 half effect
    18 Seconds: DR period over, reset
    20 Seconds: Taunt 3, full effect

^ That's how I envision it in my head at least.
    It actually worked like this (pre 3.3):

00.0 Taunt 1 lands, DR count 1, 18s DR timer started
    10.0 Taunt 2 lands, DR count 2, 18s DR timer restarted
    20.0 Taunt 3 lands, DR count 3, 18s DR timer restarted
    ***All taunts immune for the next 18s
    38.0 Taunt 4 can now land, DR count 1, 18s DR timer started
    ***and so on.

So if you had your tanks taunting every 10 seconds, then Gormok could have gone immune in those days (after 3 successful taunts, or 30s into the fight--remember the first tanks holds for 10s before the first taunt).

EDIT: as a note, you can check the taunt guide I wrote for any testing done for this. A lot of it is listed in the posts more so than the OP, but the info is in the OP.
    http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f14/5...iscussion.html

There is generally a lot of misinformation spread on taunt.
    Last edited by jere; 12-18-2009 at 10:49 AM.

+ Reply to Thread