+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ashen Verdict tank ring proc

Ashen Verdict tank ring proc

So a friend of mine got himself the exalted ashen verdict ring (by spending far too much time farming rep). We've been looking over the proc rate and uptime of this:

Equip: When struck in combat has a chance of increasing your armor by 2400 for 10 sec.

I'm curious what other tanks are seeing with this ring. Because what I'm seeing is pretty bad... From kills in ICC, ToGC, and ToC, the ring appears to have between a 2% and 10% uptime (pulled directly from our WoL parses). Only 1 or 2 procs for entire encounters basically.

I'm reasonably certain the log site isn't bugged, my friend has confirmed that the ring procs very rarely, from watching for procs directly in game.

If this is normal for the ring, and he's not just highly unlucky, I have to question if the ring is bugged. A single proc for a 5 minute encounter is very nearly useless and I don't see why blizz would make it slow low intentionally. By comparison the similar Hyjal rep ring proc'd plenty often, easily once a minute, if not more.

What do you all think?

There's probably not a large data pool for this ring yet due to the amount of rep needed. Hopefully as we move further along there will be more data to compare. However the initial findings you present do raise concern.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodasafa View Post
    There's probably not a large data pool for this ring yet due to the amount of rep needed. Hopefully as we move further along there will be more data to compare. However the initial findings you present do raise concern.
    Yeah I was hoping that asking here will find some more tanks who have the ring. The revered version has the proc too, and at least it appears to have a similar proc rate (not at all confirmed).
    Last edited by Regill; 12-17-2009 at 01:01 PM.

They may raise concern, but I wouldn't be too worried about it. The ring is still a very solid piece, even without the proc. Even if it procs rarely, the proc is just icing on the cake.

I got revered version of that ring and todays raids show 3-11% uptime for that, but there isnt any fight in icc that where you would be getting constantly hit so its hard to figure the real proc rate just yet.

World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis

22minutes 26 seconds of autoattacking thrym in zuldrak, with a few judgement of lights thrown in to stay alive

ring procced FOUR times,,, something seems really really broken to me

4 procs in 22minutes

Cleared 4 bosses tonight, 1,9% uptime.

I start thinking even exalted version of the ring is piece of shit: proc is awful, other stats aren't bad, but we can find almost equal stats in 264lvl rings from trash and normal mode bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by Eravian View Post
    They may raise concern, but I wouldn't be too worried about it. The ring is still a very solid piece, even without the proc. Even if it procs rarely, the proc is just icing on the cake.
    I have to disagree, if the proc rate is low, this ring becomes very undesirable compared to what we can get. Compare the ilevel 245 Band of the Twin Valk'yr...

Band of the Twin Val'kyr - Item - World of Warcraft

Only 10 less stamina, but has 532 STATIC armor, no hit, and slightly lower avoidance values. I would use this over the iLevel 277 (exalted) ring and definitely over the revered.

Devium's Eternally Cold Ring - Items - Sigrie is even better imo, I'd use that or the heroic version (or both) if I could.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

55 minutes of getting hit ~7x per second in Stockades in this log. Note that this was getting hit 7x per second. I was getting attacked a bit more, but they missed a lot.

Results show a clear 60-second ICD and an abysmally low proc rate. With ~7 hits incoming per second the average time between ICD and proc was over 4 seconds, meaning the 3% listed on Wowhead is probably accurate and maybe even a bit high.

In short, the ring is nice if you want hit but the proc is absolutely terrible. If it had the low proc rate with no ICD or the ICD with a high proc rate, it would be good, but combining the two makes for an uptime of 5% or less for a standard boss with a 2-second swing timer and a tank with ~40% avoidance (like in ICC).

Hopefully Blizzard ups the proc rate or removes the ICD to make the proc actually useful.
    Last edited by Xenix; 12-17-2009 at 09:00 PM.

I have been working myself into positions to farm more rep aside from normal planned raid gains, but the proc rate is very low, as you have pointed out the twins mier 10man hardmode ring is a more stable option which in my eyes compared with a 277 item is abit of a let down. And not to forget the damned hit rating on nearly every dam tanking piece.

Given that this is a ring you can get without killing a single boss (if you have the patience) and certainly without doing any hard modes, just what were you expecting? Best in slot?

The stats are not bad, and the ring will serve as a useful piece in a balanced or threat set. Probably not in your Max EH set. I think the proc is just supposed to be icing on the cake, some 'cool factor', not the core feature of the ring. If you end up never using the ring for tanking, you can convert it into a DPS one for offspec.

Quote Originally Posted by swelt View Post
    Given that this is a ring you can get without killing a single boss (if you have the patience) and certainly without doing any hard modes, just what were you expecting? Best in slot?
    Yes b/c for the most part the Hyjal one was.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Hmm... forgot that this ring doesn't have any armor on it. That does make it less desirable, although it's still a good ring to have on hand while you wait for others to drop... especially since RNG can be rough sometimes.

I'm wondering if the ICD is an error, as a lot of items with procs that don't have an ICD usually have a ~2% proc rate.
    Xíanth <Valkyria>

Before ICC I used
    Band of the Twin Val'kyr - Item - World of Warcraft
    Clutch of Fortification - Item - World of Warcraft (Since we have yet to kill anub hero 25) - Currently replaced the Clutch with the new rep ring.

However I am wondering if the armor on the Clutch would make it a better EH item than the anub hero ring and more relevant to this discussion better than the Rep Ring (due to the static armor).
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Just a question in regards to the proc, is it stackable with black heart procs giving essentially a 10K armor boost on a double proc? Or is the ICD so absurdly low that it wouldn't even be worth hoping for the rng luck?

I think you would have to be dam lucky to get it proc'ing at the same time.

However I am wondering if the armor on the Clutch would make it a better EH item than the anub hero ring and more relevant to this discussion better than the Rep Ring (due to the static armor).
    Clutch is definitely better than the Friendly ring for EH. Looks to me like its even better than the Revered ring. Only the socket in Exalted finally pushes it over Clutch for EH (though this is from eye-balling it, not number crunching).

Don't forget the trash mobs ring with its 124 Stam + yellow socket and 60 Def/60 Dodge/38 Hit.

IMO, it is way better than the Ashen one.

It dropped yesterday as we were farming trash-mobs before the 1st boss... in ICC 10 ... Woot... I guess it's a bug that ilvl 264 item drops from Trash in ICC 10 ...

http://db.mmo-champion.com/i/50447

I've been told by my huntard friend that the dps rings proc is reliable and constant with what might seem like a 45sec ICD... I dont have access to that ring so I can't confirm those numbers.

It does seem little bit off that ~1.5% damage reduction from the gained armour would have been so unreliable.

And I do agree with the insane amount of hit on every other tanking piece the 264trash tank ring seems like a better choice (less hit), over the rep one.

If the rep ring is a filler, that you get after two weeks (a nice 251 if you dont have 10ToGC or 25Toc cleared) and then replace?... It would take hours (17+ maybe much more) of farming and weeks if not months of regular raiding to get to exalted and the proc and socket combo... if the proc is not "awesome" ... well I do agree it should be BiS and if not, at least a second best... I miss my Hyjal ring (I will be sad if this ring will be a Kara type ring)
    Famous Last Words:
    "Look! I can see Golemagg from here... Hey, Guys?! He's moving...."

+ Reply to Thread