+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Those of you DKs not taking RT/IRT

Those of you DKs not taking RT/IRT

I personally run my spec with RT/IRT because I like the extra little "health stone" if you will. I know alot of DKs say that your healers should be healing you, but every top DK Tank I can find, uses RT/IRT.

Personally if I was to take those 4 points out, I'd dump them in Necrosis for extra threat, but what do you guys say?

I probably won't change my spec because it currently works for me, but I'm always looking for tips/tricks to see if something could work better.

Satorri's talks about stuff like this on his new 'guide' in this exact forum. I suggest that you go read it.

You should definitely put a point into shockwave.

True Knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
    Agg's tanking guide

The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

Only on my Blood Tank, because that's how Blood Tanks work. Doing it for Frost Spec means you're sacrificing valuable threat tools.

Whether you take it depends entirely on the content you are doing, and how much you trust your healers.

Normal modes and farm content I never touch RT, but on the fun progression night wipe-a-thons I watch my runes carefully to manage my DS and RT.

Personally I love RT and the dps is never on my heels for threat, so I don't mind putting the four points into it for more survivability.

Honestly, 4 points is a huge investment. I'm usually far too distracted maintaining good threat, watching adds, moving out of fire, and being ready to interrupt to even begin thinking about watching my health and having a blood rune ready to go to heal.

My healers invest nearly all their time watching my health bar ready to pop a heal. I really don't see how I could be any better with an every once in a while heal. It really comes back to 4 points though.

Which top DK tanks are you talking about?

Personally, rather than dropping Rune Tap, we drop a healer or two for content where I just don't require as much healing. =)

Nice steps up in dps, adding more damage dealers, ya know.

I like Rune Tap as "just in case" sort of thing. normally it's not an issue- but what a healer gets hit by Bone spikes and someone else can't get to you in time... BUT WAIT! you've got Rune Tap and can use it push yourself up enough to not die on the next hit! I only use it if it looks like something good go bad and if I feel myself getting really low and sitting there for a while before a heal.
    My guild normally runs with one or two heals- three on certain fights in ICC ( cough DBS cough).

Most "top" DK tanks don't take it, and you will see a lot more people switch to Frost specs as armor gear is accumulated.
    I don't take it myself because in every situation where I would die, I am stunned, incapacitated, or the burst comes before a global would reset. If I did heroics or 10 mans were progression for me, I would definitely use it. The less bosses hit for, the more valuable it becomes.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgewalker View Post
    Most "top" DK tanks don't take it, and you will see a lot more people switch to Frost specs as armor gear is accumulated.
    I don't take it myself because in every situation where I would die, I am stunned, incapacitated, or the burst comes before a global would reset. If I did heroics or 10 mans were progression for me, I would definitely use it. The less bosses hit for, the more valuable it becomes.
    True. Most of my guild DK tanks do not use it since there either dieing during a stun, or very high burst dmg from the boss. They don't have time to use it then.

talents depends on guild content, i don't use it too, i don't use mark of blood either, i build my spec to do good threat, since i have tons of survival just from gear

armory : The World of Warcraft Armory

I actually don't find Rune Tap to be a very good clutch tool at all. There are times in which I use it as such and it works wonderfully, but that's not why I take it. Rune Tap is taken, by me, for Blood spec, because it's part of how a Blood Tank works in my opinion. The mitigation for Blood Tanks comes from a reactive response in healing much of the damage they take in. Death Strike is nice, Vampiric Blood is nice, but Rune Tap is also added to those and it should be used as often as possible without wasting it on overheals. It lightens the stress on your healers by putting you on par with the damage on you that they should be healing had you had your healing as mitigation instead.

People seem to forget something about RT regarding threat: it may not be as good as 4 points in necrosis or wherever but it's not 0 threat either. If you use regularly and it heal you for full it's a good amount of threat.

At least it's not a lost to use a rune on it, regarding threat; as long as you are not full health and it's not an AOE situation.

I smell crack smoke in this thread..

If you need RT to stay alive gkick some healers and get better ones >.>
    Personally if things get that bad that I need to top up beyond a DS, VB+DP..

I personally dropped the talent since i stopped leveling i always saw it more as a solo tool and then an optional one aswell.

I never had the need for it and i believe it's more personal play style then anything else.

I can see it's purpose as a raid heal tool however but then it's more of a ninche for certain fights then a must have still in my eyes, such as anub'arak heroic.

I find mark of blood, vampiric and IBF to be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    If you need RT to stay alive gkick some healers and get better ones >.>
    Old and ignorant argument.

It's never a matter of need, but a matter of survival value you can offer.

If your health drops, as it always does, the tank who can instantly restore a third of their health will save their healers work, often remove the risk of a sudden dip-gib, and generally appear less squishy.

Not everyone chooses to gear, spec, or use all the tools available to survive better, some people would rather focus on threat and leave the survival to their healers.

It's a choice, but there isn't a right one and a wrong one.

So long as you are holding threat off your team and not capping their dps with your threat, you're doing enough threat.

So long as you're living through the fight, you clearly have enough survival value.

What you buff after that is your call and really it's just a matter of how you're trying to support your team.

I get Satorri's point, although I'm not a fan of RT either.

But this:
    Death Strike is nice, Vampiric Blood is nice, but Rune Tap is also added to those and it should be used as often as possible without wasting it on overheals. It lightens the stress on your healers by putting you on par with the damage on you that they should be healing had you had your healing as mitigation instead.
    Is not true.

RT is for emergencies and not to pop it when it is off it's cd...that won't reduce overheal and won't increase your survivability.

Maybe in a fight with really really massive group damage, if your healer needs to heal group as well...but can't really imagine that situation...

If I want to rely solely on my healers, I'll tank in Frost, why bother with Blood? Isn't the whole point of Blood the self healing?

^^

=) Unless you like Blood's threat style, which many people do.

+ Reply to Thread