+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Has tanking made you mean

Of course tanking makes you mean, especially with the new dungeon finder. Every day I'm doing more damage the random DPSers...(as a tank).
    As for watching others tank, yeah it's pretty frustrating to see someone perform a lot slower than you, even if their gear is almost as good as your own.
    The Ashbringer...

Quote Originally Posted by Daereg View Post
    Of course tanking makes you mean, especially with the new dungeon finder. Every day I'm doing more damage the random DPSers...(as a tank).
    As for watching others tank, yeah it's pretty frustrating to see someone perform a lot slower than you, even if their gear is almost as good as your own.
    We all have a rate at which we are comfortable pulling. If you can pull half the instance, and you healer can deal with it, that's fine for you. My computer would cry if I did that.
    I'm an alt-oholic. I'm ok with that.
    http://warcraftid.com/card/170/n/73a...f/sholozar.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by CatabriOnEarthen View Post
    We all have a rate at which we are comfortable pulling. If you can pull half the instance, and you healer can deal with it, that's fine for you. My computer would cry if I did that.
    Yeah but when your on your Caster-Alt, you really want that tank to pull as much as possible. "Omg AOE DPS!"
    The Ashbringer...

Quote Originally Posted by Daereg View Post
    Yeah but when your on your Caster-Alt, you really want that tank to pull as much as possible. "Omg AOE DPS!"
    Some of us remember there's more to life than meters.

When I bring one of my dps into a group, I want a quick, comfortable, efficient run. No faster or slower than the tank and healer is comfortable with. The one thing the "OMG GOGOGO" people seem to forget is a wipe wastes a LOT more time than a slow pull or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Proletaria View Post
    Funny you should mention that, i've seen this happen before to some very nice tanks and I consider it one of the lowest blows you can throw in a pug. Any time i see this happen to a tank (who isn't purposefully making my life miserable as a dps or on my healer alt) putting forth serious effort, i jump the party too. I don't have many in-game morals, but kicking a tank who is doing his best to gear up and learn his class is something I consider taboo. Honor among tanks I guess.
    This.

I'm fortunate to have my very own pocket tank but sometimes I will heal for others in my guild. I will have infinite patience for new tanks trying their hardest and if I see them getting booted because the dps are too wound up in their own stuff to help, I'll bail as well.

I have to say this whole thread has been an eye opener. There are many tanks here who I'd heal for in a heartbeat and some who will make me seriously question if I want to stay in the group. A lot more of the former, not so much of the latter.

But many dps attitudes I see reflected here? Yeah, not so much patience for them.

I had a hunter in Occulus who kept pulling groups before I was ready. A couple of times I waited before a pull because I was asking something. One particular occasion in that run was when I asked about an Emerald Drake ability. The healer wanted the ruby drake for the achieve, and so I said I'd do the Emerald Drake, but hadn't done it before.

I was asking a question and the hunter pulled and almost caused a wipe. I'm normally not terribly aggressive, but I rounded on him and told him to stop. I had already asked him before to stop pulling kindly and it was irritating. He blatantly told me to my face that he was making up for my slow, fail tanking and doing what I should have been doing and that I should be appreciative of it. No one said anything in my defense, no one did anything. After another such pull a bit later I vote kicked him, it passed almost instantly.

I turn on my "guild only" chat tab.
    They don't like how I'm pulling? Leave. You'll be replaced in 3..2.. *X joins the party*

after following this thread... I can say that I'm a little sad as some of us tanks have such low threshold towards our own fellows.

Maybe it's just me, but I find that being part of the WoW community (be it in forums or in-game) is to try and nurture it. As in remembering where and how we started as tanks (I don't know about everyone, but my 1st tanking experience was a nervous one). With that constantly in my mind, I will slow down or even help tanks who I find are trying their best (like many who have voiced here).

As for some of those tanks who are turds, I will always try to offer a suggestion or two before I give up. Sometimes it's just the perception issue, where tanking is an easy AOE fest (usually a misconception from a DPSers point-of-view when they PUG with already experienced tanks) and a helpful nudge or two would fix it.

I will usually get annoyed when some other tank tries to shove his/her style of tanking down my throat. I welcome suggestions as I know that I still have lots to learn, but there's always room for decency and being polite/tactful. This should hold true to whatever role you're playing in the group.

I had quite a problem learning WoW etiquette, and it was something my friends smacked me upside the head for. I get annoyed when we wipe due to attitudes. If you're going to be a baby, then don't play the game.

My job in the game is to hold aggro as best as I can. If I've done the best I can and no mobs have been pulled, then I shouldn't die. Especially if my healer has more than 50% mana. This drove me crazy. I've lost my cool more than once in a group, and I do feel bad about it.

But that was levels 40-50. It seems people have a worse attitude as they get to higher levels. These days if and when I do a random instance, I keep my mouth shut and go as fast as I think the healer can take. I've run into a lot more problems with people who want to pull.

Pulling is my job. Keeping me alive is the healers job. Your job is to fuck up the mobs when they're distracted. I'm a tank, this is what I do.

Actually when I tank on my DK everything is fine. I have a low level druid I have been working on as a tank and am VERY frustrated by the mechanics of that class. In fact I had a fury warrior pulling aggro so much last night that he was rage starving me and I just said "OK warrior is tanking, I am going cat form." and that all.

Trying a druid has really made me appreciate druid and warrior tanks, those are the worst set up mechanics I can imagine.

If some ones asking a question or something, i don't mind waiting after that i get bored, its very hard for me to play healers and tanks now.....

Ok I can play my pally healer b/c he can heal tank 90% of pulls in heroics

I really, really hate it when anybody but myself pulls. Especially huge groups with casters require some planning for a warrior. The first couple of seconds I'm in Global Cooldown hell.

For instance in FoS there are those caster groups with a shade in the middle. 4 casters, one melee. Usually I charge one caster, shield bash him so he comes to me, move to the middle where the shade stood, lay down a T-Clap, shield slam the shade(which I have marked as focus target), move a bit to between/behind the other two casters, heroic throw the one caster that isn't standing close to me, save my GC until he has moved close to me and then Shockwave. All while I'm furiously alternating between targets and cleaving.

Can't do that if somebody else pulled. Even with MD or something. I'd have the mobs all over the place. For that to work I need the mobs where they are. For that to work I need initial aggro an all of them. I need to charge there so I'm completely raged up. I have to time the charge myself since that is quite some tanking here and I need the planning time.

So yes, if the healer decides to pull then I get downright cranky. If a DK decides to DG a mob I have conveniently positioned then I WILL let him keep it.

I switch my armor sets a couple of times while in the instance. I have max HP(for running the tunnel in PoS), I have my DPS set(for boring trash), I have my avoid set, I have my block set, I have my frost resist set and I use them whenever I have the feeling I should switch. I always have at least a food buff on me. My stuff is always repaired. My stuff is always enchanted. My stuff is always gemmed. And I would like to see the courtesy returned.

And if I get snide remarks for using my blue +block trinket I will leave. I get to choose who I spend the next 15-30 minutes of my life and I will do so.

I have lead. I give the kill order and I expect my group members to comply. I don't care if your guild always kills the warrior first in TOC5. If I say Healer then I mean healer. If I say nobody stands in front of the tank during the event in HoS then I mean it. I really don't care about your DPS. I really don't care about your legendary healing hammer. I really don't care about your heroic mode 25 man achievements. I'm the tank. I'm in the lead. My way, or the highway.

...but I'm always pleasantly surprised when a rogue kicks that one caster I couldn't get to move or a DK that DGs it to me. I don't expect it, but I'm really chuffed to bits when it happens.

The one thing that really annoys me are those "5k+ DPS" that need their own private mob. Too often I have had mob groups where I had to choose between two mobs where exactly one DPS was high on aggro whereas another DPS pulled the same stunt on another one while somebody AOEd the whole bally lot of them. That's when I decide if I will actually bother to taunt a mob off a DPS. Usually I just try to protect melee DDs like DPS warriors/DKs/Retadins because they simply can't help their high aggro. Hunters I tend to let fend for themselves.

Even as a healer I will deliberately let people die when they decide not to move out of the colourful sh*t they are standing in. I don't care if you are looting Hadronox. There is green stuff on the floor and the fight is over. I don't care about your DPS. There is that coloured ray in HdS you are standing in. Move out or die. I can heal and still do 1.5k DPS. I can easily fill in for you.
    Yup. I have become quite unforgiving.
    ...but I still love people who are still learning the game and are eager to do so. Then my patience is boundless.

Guess what? My queue time is less than 30s. Yours, Mr. Random PewPew Mage is 15 minutes.

SIMON DE MONTFORT, EARL OF LEICESTER
    pioneer of representative government who was
    killed in the Battle of Evesham on 4 August 1265.

had a dk who was leveling his axe skill in H FoS. 1.2k dps. *kick* had a dk come in to tank H FoS with 18k HP and no def cap. *kick* Had a couple healers that couldn't/wouldn't keep up and or heal other grp members. *kick* Had a warr tank come in to 10 ToC not having done naxx, or anything else for that matter. they wouldnt kick him cuz he was a buddy, so I left. I've been lvl 80 for a little over a year, I ran the reg 80 dungeons til I got the pieces I wanted. Then i ran heroics til i got the pieces I wanted. Then I ran naxx, etc etc.

We're expected to know every encounter and mob inside and out, I expect a brain and performance from dps and heals. i don't think tanking has made me mean, but the number of dumb players I've run into has definitely shortened my patience.

Quote Originally Posted by komatsu View Post
    Had a warr tank come in to 10 ToC not having done naxx, or anything else for that matter. they wouldnt kick him cuz he was a buddy, so I left.
    So cause he havent done naxx, he cant possibly tank toc?
    Your post give me the idea you dont even gave him a chance..

Quote Originally Posted by Mctankor View Post
    I have to agree with you here. It's easily possible to have someone that was a pro BC raid tank, who did heroics and such, who knows how to tank and do it well, and took a break for a while and so never got a chance to do WoTLK heroics. Now 3.3 is here and the guy added 2k to his gearscore in a few days or heroic farming. As long as he's willing to learn the fights and do his job, does it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Mctankor View Post
    It's next to impossible to organize a Naxx or let alone Ulduar raid nowadays. I also never have finished Naxx as a tank. So should I turn in my T9/ilvl232 tanking set and never go to ToC25 again? Like ever?

I really hate it when people pull that trick. It's like me telling everybody else they shouldn't even DARE to go to Naxx since they didn't complete it at level 60.

So I have to agree with Mctankor.

SIMON DE MONTFORT, EARL OF LEICESTER
    pioneer of representative government who was
    killed in the Battle of Evesham on 4 August 1265.

Ok, guess I should've told the whole story on that one. he had a mishmosh of pvp, tank, and dps gear, had numerous defense gems(just to reach cap), and even an armor pen gem. ??? not a guy i want as my wing man. He didnt want to tank ToC, he wanted to be carried thru ToC. which i can't stand. I played hard for my purple pixels.

there are some serious fun vampires in this thread. The kind that make me click leave party and go and find something to do with my kids.

some of you people need to unclench your sphincter when you tank.

short answer:
    yes
    long answer:
    yes it has

I have been healing on a disc priest for 3 years and tanking on my DK for 6 months.
    Healing made me mean, tanking made me better at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by WarTotem View Post
    You know you just called yourself an asshat, right?

+ Reply to Thread