+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Has tanking made you mean

I rarely have problems tanking a pug, but that is largely because I so overgear the instances that it is hard to screw them up and I think that most pug members will show more respect to a tank that is well geared. I keep things moving pretty fast too so I don't really give people a chance to cause problems.

When I am "mean" is when I am on my healer alt :P

Wouldn't say that I am mean, just get tired of all the stupid crap that some people do and expect the tank to pick up the pieces to cover for their stupidity. Example dps deciding to chain pull, I mean if the healer is keeping up I will pull pack after pack as my runes and cd's refresh. Can usually grab all the mobs that a dps decides to pull, but there are those times when all the runes are on CD and I am about useless for 5-10 sec until I can get something off.

Ex: yesterday in H OK had a rogue running ahead and aggroing the packs of patrolling elementals, the platforms with the containment crystals, and fan of knives pulled the first boss. Eventually got tired of it and let his 1.8k dps ass die multiple times.

I must say that I do get extremely bored running heroics on my dps and healer but still let the tank do their job and control the run.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksend View Post
    Gearscore can kiss my _____ . Today I got the first of the 3 new ICC as my random. I was 35% of the groups damage on my druid as the tank the DPS dk was 34% the oomkin was 20% and the hunter was 11%.

When I linked meters at the end and told the hunter L2P (inc sterotype) WHY IS IT ALWAYS HUNTERS? I HAVE YET TO RUN WITH A HUNTER since the patch who was done more than 15% of the groups total damage except the hunter from my guild. Well anyway when I said that the healer said "YOU SHOULD BE TOP DPS YOU HAVE 1000 MORE GEARSCORE THAN ANYONE ELSE IN THE GROUP"

SORRY! I hate people who think like this.

Gearscore be damed a tank should never be first on damage in a heroic yet day after day both my warrior and druid are consistantly at least 25% of the groups damage, unless I am running with guildies. Even my warrior (although I cheat with glyph of shockwave and cleave and cleave is 40% of my total damage done lol)
    That's odd. 90% of the pug hunters I've run with since the patch have been above 5k dps on single targets in my heroics. It's gotten to the point that I've wondered if Blizzard accidentally ninja-buffed them.

To answer the main question. No tanking has not made me mean. (er) But I will bail if the pugs DPS is too fail to make the run quickly and easily. With friends and guildies I'll battle through an instance no problem-O, with Pugs, no.

I think if anything, tanking has made me more patient, especially if I'm dpsing. I understand if we wipe that it's not always the tanks fault, or if I pull aggro and die that I was probably doing something I shouldn't have been. I'm also very generous to slow tanks, although most of the random runs I've had have been people blitzing through as fast as they can, some that don't even know how the different boss encounters work, because dps just burns them down too fast for it to matter.
    That being said, if someone is going slow as a tank, it's their call. I can understand that. Especially if I've been playing my DK all day, I'm not going to just hop into chain pulling with my warrior right away, because I know I'll be looking for Death Grip and Howling Blast, just like I'm constantly trying to Charge on my Death Knight...
    Ultimately, if you only have 15 minutes to do a Heroic, don't bother going. Wait until you have more time later. If you miss your two Emblems of Frost that day... oh well.

I don't think tanking has made me mean (but I do know people who have been affected this way).

I am very patient with pugs, because I remember back in vanilla when that "fail pug DPS" was me.
    Raiding is Hard. Sometimes there's fire. Don't stand in the fire.

Read my blog http://bigshinyshield.blogspot.com...or don't.

I'm a hunter and my friend I usually play with is a resto druid, so I frequently MD pull if the tank is too slow.
    Yesterday we had an amazing paladin tank who chain pulled through the 3 new heroics in about an hour and a half, I really wish they would implement cross server friends lists.

Tanking doesn't make me mean, just more assertive (which isn't the same thing)

Gearscore be damed a tank should never be first on damage in a heroic yet day after day both my warrior and druid are consistantly at least 25% of the groups damage, unless I am running with guildies. Even my warrior (although I cheat with glyph of shockwave and cleave and cleave is 40% of my total damage done lol)
    Of all the points you made, I'm going to disagree on this. Granted, there are people who don't know how to play (I grouped with 2 dks, one with 187 to 200 *tanking* gear dpsing ToC and another with PvP gear), but there are also those who are undergeared.

You get invited way too instantly as a tank for heroics. I got bored of playing with my warrior overall, so I switched to my mage, whom I left on a 2 month vacation. He's still on heroic gear, with some conquest gear badges on. Granted, I could gem him with epics, get exhalted with sons of hodir, and get the epic pant chant to maximize my dps, but...yeah, don't expect me to be in top of the dps chart when you're starting to get tier 10 gear.

Quote Originally Posted by defence View Post
    Of all the points you made, I'm going to disagree on this. Granted, there are people who don't know how to play (I grouped with 2 dks, one with 187 to 200 *tanking* gear dpsing ToC and another with PvP gear), but there are also those who are undergeared.

You get invited way too instantly as a tank for heroics. I got bored of playing with my warrior overall, so I switched to my mage, whom I left on a 2 month vacation. He's still on heroic gear, with some conquest gear badges on. Granted, I could gem him with epics, get exhalted with sons of hodir, and get the epic pant chant to maximize my dps, but...yeah, don't expect me to be in top of the dps chart when you're starting to get tier 10 gear.

DING DING DING DING DING

I would never ever group with those people, ever.

WoW is all about tiers, you start in heroics and work your way up. As a result you cannot say to people in random heroic pugs, GET GEARED BEFORE RUNNING HEROICS WITH MY SUPER AWESOME HARD MODE LOOT, because they need to run heroics.

Blizzard never should have put in a system that forces top tier raiders to be forced to run heroics. It is terrible game design.

"But darksend blizzard is not forcing you to get frost badges" I did the math

If you do the 3 new instances, a random daily every day, the weekly every week, and all 4 bosses of 10 and 25 man, you will have 146 badges when the new gate is opened.

If you clear through Putricide in 10 and 25 that is an additional 47 per week. That is 240 by the time the second gate opens if it takes 2 weeks. If the last gate opens 2 weeks after that, you can have a max of 350 badges.

It will probably take 3 weeks for each gate so realistically you can have your full 4 pc set, idol, cape, and trinket by the time you get to Sindragosa, or 452 emblems if the 3 week estimate holds.
    you MUST do the daily every day to have the gear you need to compete when hard modes come out, even at 3 weeks between the next 2 gates.

I have no problem with people getting easy mode 25 trial gear from 5 man heroics, but having the new 277 hard mode loot come (in part) from 5 man heroics is as I said poor game design.

I don't know about mean, but I'm considerably less tolerant on my tank than my healer and conversely vey tolerant on my dps toons. My tolerance is directly proportional to the amount to time I will expect to wait for a new random pug if I dro the group.

On my rogue or warlock, I stick it out to the bitter end and really try to adjust to the rest of the team. On my priest I will hint and encourage and try to make the best of it. On my prot warrior I give one warning. Two strikes and I'm out.

The one thing that really gets on my nerves is pulling ahead of me or using high-threat AOE stuff while I'm pulling. If it's my responsibility that no one else gets attacked, then surprising me or intentionally competing with me is more trouble than I'm willing to put up with.

Yesterday was a good example. Violet hold is a cakewalk these days, but there is that one spawn on the left where the Dragonflight spllit up. I have it down to a heroic throw and a charge, no problems...except for the deathknight who decides to DnD the two that are chasing after me (pulling them in the opposite direction), or drop DnD under a portal before the spawn appears. This was getting me pissy but when he popped army on a boss that needs to be faced, I figured he wanted to tank more than I did and let him take over without me. The wait for the next group (even with the remaining debuff) was shorter than I would see on my rogue so it doesn't really hurt me any. That group had a little less dps than I'm used to, but at least thre was no competition over who was tanking.

DING DING DING DING DING

I would never ever group with those people, ever.

"But darksend blizzard is not forcing you to get frost badges" I did the math
    But, Darksend, Blizzard is not forcing you to do the random daily for frost badges with a random pug. You can queue with 5 of your oh-so-wonderful guildies and never have to be in a group with the normal, non-elitist people. Either don't group with anyone who's not in your exclusive little group, or quit being unhappy about it. No one's forcing you to slum with the casuals. That's your choice.

When I am on my rogue I pull, do not care if it gets me kicked from the group, if they think I am rude, dont care. If you take to long you are wasting the time of 4 other people. Learn to play the game correctly if you want to play with strangers.

edit:

This needs to be said. THE NEW RANDOM DAILY IS NOTHING MORE THAN A WAY TO GET 2 FREE FROST EMBLEMS A DAY. having 4 80s to do a dungeon on every day no single run should take more than 20 minutes. I view them as a way to get badges and nothing more and once I have done it once on each character I am done for the day. It is not my job to put up with peoples crap. If you cannot carry your weight you will be vote kicked. just before the last boss, because blizzard does not let you kick people sooner than that.
    wow...

While I can understand where you're coming from with the statement that you don't have enough time for all 4 toons of yours and frost badges, I would rather leave the group or kick you if it means really messing up my vibes (read fluidity of my tanking). Also if tanks don't PUG strangers, how are they going to learn the ropes?

I'm all for quick runs on either of my toons. After all, you're quite correct when you said that it's only for the frost emblems. I just don't think that stuffing group after group of mobs down the tanks throat is going to help anyone. Either way, you're entitled to your opinions... and i'll gladly agree to disagree with you.

So I am tanking a random the other day and as soon as we zone in a rogue and warlock start demanding we link achieves. I ignored them and began to pull, the rogue starts telling me how to tank, then says "SEE YOU NEVA BIN HEER BFORE, NUB". He demanded my Achievement again, so I called a vote and kicked them both

Silly dps, you have no weight to throw around in a Heroic! Takes me 3 seconds to group with the Dungeon Finder, it takes them 6 minutes.

I think i have become mean rly!
    /p You pull - You tank
    /p Just vote kick me, i'll be done with the next heroic before you even got a new tank.
    i never say hello or bye, and if i dont fell for the instance i leave without a word.

Quote Originally Posted by vine View Post
    So I am tanking a random the other day and as soon as we zone in a rogue and warlock start demanding we link achieves. I ignored them and began to pull, the rogue starts telling me how to tank, then says "SEE YOU NEVA BIN HEER BFORE, NUB". He demanded my Achievement again, so I called a vote and kicked them both

Silly dps, you have no weight to throw around in a Heroic! Takes me 3 seconds to group with the Dungeon Finder, it takes them 6 minutes.
    That is just classic.

One thing that tanking has made me, though (perhaps unfortunately) is one of those dpser's that a lot of people on here have been mentioning not liking... "Okay, he's got aggro - HOWLING BLAST!" or Death Gripping mobs hitting the healers and running around like mad until the tank gets them off me. Even as a dps, I tend to stay in "tank" mode and try to pick up any mobs that I see running loose... just can't help myself!
    (That's not strictly true, as I don't take mobs off of people that have aggro, but if I see one attacking the healer or some such nonsense, that add is coming to me).

Quote Originally Posted by Eravian View Post
    One thing that tanking has made me, though (perhaps unfortunately) is one of those dpser's that a lot of people on here have been mentioning not liking... "Okay, he's got aggro - HOWLING BLAST!" or Death Gripping mobs hitting the healers and running around like mad until the tank gets them off me. Even as a dps, I tend to stay in "tank" mode and try to pick up any mobs that I see running loose... just can't help myself!
    (That's not strictly true, as I don't take mobs off of people that have aggro, but if I see one attacking the healer or some such nonsense, that add is coming to me).
    I wouldn't call DG'd mobs off the healer or grabbing loose mobs being a bad dps at all. If anything that is supporting and being helpful, just back off a bit and let the tank pick them up once he targets over to them.

Now if you are dg'ing off the pull or pulling with it instead of the tank, then I could see some problems.

When I am on my rogue I pull, do not care if it gets me kicked from the group, if they think I am rude, dont care. If you take to long you are wasting the time of 4 other people. Learn to play the game correctly if you want to play with strangers.

NEVER EVER will I put the group in danger. Granted the pugs have no way of knowing this but having been a tank for 3 years on 2 different characters you pay attention to healer mana, if a tank had to use cooldowns on the previous pulls, etc.

If I were to group with you and you were going to slow and I knew for a fact the healer could handle it call me rude but I want my 2 frost badges and thats that. I will shove the mobs down the tanks throat because when I tank I expect no less than to never stop moving.

edit:

This needs to be said. THE NEW RANDOM DAILY IS NOTHING MORE THAN A WAY TO GET 2 FREE FROST EMBLEMS A DAY. having 4 80s to do a dungeon on every day no single run should take more than 20 minutes. I view them as a way to get badges and nothing more and once I have done it once on each character I am done for the day. It is not my job to put up with peoples crap. If you cannot carry your weight you will be vote kicked. just before the last boss, because blizzard does not let you kick people sooner than that.
    lol.....I know I should let this one slide, but what the hell......News flash darksend....don't matter one bit how many years you've supposedly tanked, if you ain't the tank then you have no business pulling anything. Get your chip off your shoulder and play the role of the toon you're on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bashal View Post
    "You pull it, you tank it".

I think if I saw someone trying to rush me by pulling, I'd just let them tank it, then see how they feel about letting the tank do the pulling.

I'd instead politely encourage the tank to pull faster. "I can heal you through just about anything", or "I'll let you know if I need mana, I got ya covered," or something to that effect.

But please, don't pull if you aren't the tank.
    Amen..

+ Reply to Thread