+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Has tanking made you mean

I've seen tanks completely skipping the pats. Amazingly some of us lived to fight another day.

SIMON DE MONTFORT, EARL OF LEICESTER
    pioneer of representative government who was
    killed in the Battle of Evesham on 4 August 1265.

Try a tank in 232 gear doing 2k tps.
    Knowing it's a common mistake, I ask "is rf off?"
    The reply is an instantaneous stream of swearing, offenses to my family, and the threat to leave the instance midways, while also accusing me of being a "fail dps" for not controlling my threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    Try a tank in 232 gear doing 2k tps.
    Knowing it's a common mistake, I ask "is rf off?"
    The reply is an instantaneous stream of swearing, offenses to my family, and the threat to leave the instance midways, while also accusing me of being a "fail dps" for not controlling my threat.
    Ooooh! Another fun game to play.
    Just after Loken:
    "Woopsy-daisy! I've been in zerker stance the whole time. Ah well, I will maybe remember going def stance the next time."
    OR
    If another DK proceeds to summon Army of the Dead you can simply respec to DPS. It's not like I'm gonna get any meaningful amounts of rage so I can tank stuff, now am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Mačl View Post
    Ooooh! Another fun game to play.
    Just after Loken:
    "Woopsy-daisy! I've been in zerker stance the whole time. Ah well, I will maybe remember going def stance the next time."
    OR
    If another DK proceeds to summon Army of the Dead you can simply respec to DPS. It's not like I'm gonna get any meaningful amounts of rage so I can tank stuff, now am I?
    On my paladin, whenever Army of the Dead is popped in a heroic, I immediatelly proceed to stop doing significant threat on anything.
    This is not a problem if AotD is a good thing to use there.
    This is a problem if AotD is being used where it shouldn't. Yes, Keristrazsa, that's you.
    mostly it's because it's not necessary at all, since their taunt seems to actually generate threat... and even if it doesn't, it stays ahead of the dps, so I only have to worry about threat when they are dead.

plus if you try, it just ends up draining your mana. Might as well wait.

See, while DPS is playing "Who has the highest Damage Done on Recount", I'm playing "How high can I get my threat?". AoTD is awesome for that. A million ghouls all doing major threat and taunting off each other? I throw in hand of reckoning once (and get whacked maybe once) and then let a ghoul taunt off me, then throw in righteous defense (getting whacked once again) and then I have enough threat that I can /afk autoattack the rest of the boss fight without having to worry about losing threat :P.

Seriously, I hate it when folks use AoTD (outside of the fringe cases where it's helpful). Probably goes back to being a control freak tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    On my paladin, whenever Army of the Dead is popped in a heroic, I immediatelly proceed to stop doing significant threat on anything.
    This is not a problem if AotD is a good thing to use there.
    This is a problem if AotD is being used where it shouldn't. Yes, Keristrazsa, that's you.
    mostly it's because it's not necessary at all, since their taunt seems to actually generate threat... and even if it doesn't, it stays ahead of the dps, so I only have to worry about threat when they are dead.
    Ooooh! AotD + Anub'Arak in Azjol = dead party.
    You've got to love that.
    I had a DK kill half the party(including the healer) with this little stunt. IIRC we
    three-manned the rest of it.

It kinda has. There are alot of things that annoy me in groups, here are a few:

1.'go go go' before a pull. really?i had to have u tell me to go?
    2.when all mobs die at the same time because dps doesnt focus fire
    3.when dps, the easiest thing to do in this game, cannot hold up their end and stay at a steady 2k

theres probably more that i cant think of, but overall just treat people like they are retarded, that way you wont be let down. and if they surprise and are pretty good, then thats just one good player out of 10,000.

I've seen tanks completely skipping the pats. Amazingly some of us lived to fight another day.
    Yeah, I personally never skip dangerous pats like the ones near the end of HOL and OK. I'd rather just spend the extra ~10 seconds and kill them then risk having some idiot face pull them and just make a mess.

Now that I'm gearing my healer, my new favorite game to play in PUGs is "who's the tank?"

Well, this group has a DK, Paladin, and Druid...The DK is in frost, the Pally is protection, the druid is a bear.

I ask who the tank is. I get three replies...."Not me!" times three.

.....ugh.

I wouldn't say it's made me mean. Less patient, yes.

I've been tanking so long that I can't remember if I was mean before I started doing it. :<

If someone pulls before me I pretend im afk and let them die. On the other hand I am constantly pushing the tank with misdirects on my hunter. I think there is a healthy pace heroics should be run at. They take such a short time its inexcusable to afk for things like going to the bathroom. I think I am a pretty nice tank, If im frustrated i usually vent in guild rather than belittle someone who obviously doesnt care about their performance as much as I do.

I know I wouldn't appreciate the push if I was starting out in my tanking career. That said, if you were pushing in the form of providing a helping hand it would be much appreciated.

I stopped even ATTEMPTING to tank if there is a pull out of the blue and I'm at 0 rage. I appreciate your MD, Mr. Hunter-san. But until I have the rage for a TClap OR I have the rage for a SW AND have the mobs positioned accordingly the pull will be all over the place.

So that in all propability is a wipe.

Originally Posted by mavfin
    Also, 'chain pull' does not mean 'move the pile down the hall every two seconds'.

I found a solution to this and now hit forward slash and walk through the instance.

Same goes for when dps say 'Go go!' or 'Pull more', I honestly just do it to annoy people these days.

Fun game: Walk the entire instance, and when people ask why you are walking, say "I splinched when I apparated here". And when people go into wtf mode you scream "IT'S OKAY BECAUSE I'M A <class>!!"

Tanking has, indeed, made many tanks mean. I was in a PuG not long ago with a warrior tank who sat at 49k unbuffed. Yet even my simple heals were aggroing mobs onto me. It took me a while to realize that the tank was doing nothing to pull them off me, even though I was throwing heals a minimally as possible, doing everything in my power to manage my aggro. It was on one of the bosses in Nexus where I was getting pummelled by four at one time and there was no effort to get them off me (even when I moved to the tank, even with ranged dps standing right next to me) that I realized this was not where I wanted to be if the tank won't even make the effort.

So, yeah. Have a healer throw heals to keep people on their feet and get aggro every so often, do everything in their power to dump it so they can go back to healing the party and not themselves, can apparently make a tank mean.

I once had this tool who tanked in mostly(overgeared) ret stuff in one of the Utgardes. Typical chain puller. He pulled three groups of mobs which proceeded to surround him. Now I don't know if you knew before but mobs(a lot of them) in your back are killers. I had to group fear them in order to save his bacon.
    Still, you can't argue with a tank doing 6k DPS.
    Funny that you mention UK. I got UK as the random the other day and the dps and healers asked me if we could make it a quick run. Since I am a bit overgeared for UK and usually think its fun to chain pull a bit I said yes. Apparently this means to some people that they are free to run ahead and invite more and more groups of mobs to join. Sure even though I was a bit distracted when they ran ahead each time the first few groups but it was ok. Then when we get to the drake room (room with 4 drakes + a few other mobs I take the first drake + add half way into the room. As the drake was dying I rushed to the one by the exit, the entire group (including healer) apparently thought I was taking on way to little at a time :-) What do they do? Well they pull every single mob left in the entire room. I'm guessing they were all from the same guild and thought they'd test me out but I wonder what would have happened if anyone had died? Blamed me or had a laugh?

Well anyway I just wanted to say its not always the tanks who are chain pulling...

Yesterday, got Oculus as the random, I don't mind that, usually fairly smooth and quick and you get some gems at the end. Group wasn't horrible, and aside from the gruop not following me and aggroing extra drakes, it wasn't a big deal. Until after the second boss, we're up at the mage guy, I'm waiting for everyone to be off their drakes before i auto-attack the mage guy and pick up all the adds. One of the dps thinks that he's the tank and whacks the mage guy. I decide it may have been an accident and pull everything off him. Then the next time I'm hoping he does it again so he can be the only one to die. (if it was an accident he would have learned not to attack the mage) He does, I wait two or three seconds, drop a consecrate, wait for him to have about 1k hp left and then pull everything off him, thankfully he died to aoe damage or else he wouldn't have learned. The third pull he let me start it, so I feel like I helped educate him.
    As a range dps, on my ele shaman, I hate tanks that think it's cool to keep moving the whole time. I understand that you have nice gear and you like to show off, but it'd be better for everyone if you would just pull a couple groups and stand still until they're dead or close to dead. If you just have melee dps, go for it, but I'm getting set, dropping totems, only to see you keep running all across the instance. I just started playing my shaman as ele, so I'm going to make sure that I let range dps stay in range when I tank now becuase I can see how annoying it is.

+ Reply to Thread