+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14

Thread: Has tanking made you mean

Quote Originally Posted by sud View Post
    "Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
    I laughed out loud at this.

Normally, the lfg pugs i've been in have been pretty good. However, I've had a run of idiots the last few days. All I do now is leave the party - they can enjoy the que for a new group.

In HoS the other day I had a hunter pull the big adds from behind the group while I was los'ing the pack of Iron Dwarves before the hallway to the Madien. We wiped, I just left. In H OK I had 2 dps who decided not to show up on the first 2 trash pulls. Again it was "see ya."

Then on the other side of the coin, I was in H VH on my hunter with a group that had a geared priest healer, but the tank and other dps's acutally needed gear out of that place (one had a green gear score - ah the memories). It was sooo cool to run again with players that actually needed gear from a heroic, and having the tank ask "can I need?" was kind of icing on the cake. As tank or DPS I have the patience of Job with lower geared players, but with geared arrogant idiots, I have none.

I view it as I've earned my stripes, I've tanked/dps'd every bit of content in WOLK (may not have cleared everythig, but I've been there), I'm not taking crap from some weak knee'd dps'r. Before you criticize, grow a pair and tank.
    Last edited by Theotherone; 01-28-2010 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    ...I have the patience of Job with lower geared players, but with geared arrogant idiots, I have none.
    This.

I've witnessed a new tanking strategy and I have to say I was quite baffled but it works.

Yesterday I healed through Utgarde Keep for my two frost bdages.
    The tank was a bear. He turned up with 33khp. I didn't inspect him since I thought he was in partial kitty gear. I also tank in half of my fury set so I thought nothing of it.
    Before the first pull the tank announced that this is gonna be a speed run so no dicking around. And he followed up his words with deeds. If he had enough aggro on the
    last mob standing he pulled the next group. That's ok, I also do this when I feel it is appropriate. Especially if my healer turns up with 30k mana and ICC25 gear.
    Usually I am Disc but in my Holy Spec I do have found two talent points to invest in stronger Smites/Holy Fires and if I set my mind on it I can do 2k single target DPS
    without much of an effort. Not enough +hit, tho. So I rolled as holy fully planning on doing at least 1.5k dps whil healing the bear.
    Boy was I wrong. He took quite a bit of damage. I rarely found the time to loot and if I hadn't had my rocket boot enchant he would have died a couple of times.
    Then there were the small things. He definitely knew the pulls and his lines and shortcuts thru the trash mobs but he made simple mistakes. The most obvious
    mistake was that he didn't turn the last boss away from the group. Didn't matter. The group was savvy enough to stay out of the massive frontal shockwave.
    Nobody complained since he ran like the wind. He was sloppy and one melee DPS usually had aggro in the multi mob pulls. His little speech at the beginning made
    him sound like a pro and his mistakes were only visible to an experienced tank.

He got the "I did this heroic for the first time" achievement when the last boss hit the ground.
    I got my 800DPS even tho I had to use Guardian Spirit twice.

If you turn up bursting with self confidence and don't leave the group time to complain then you will find that nobody will annoy you. This is the true value of the
    forward defensive stroke.

SIMON DE MONTFORT, EARL OF LEICESTER
    pioneer of representative government who was
    killed in the Battle of Evesham on 4 August 1265.

Quote Originally Posted by Mačl View Post
    I've witnessed a new tanking strategy and I have to say I was quite baffled but it works.

If you turn up bursting with self confidence and don't leave the group time to complain then you will find that nobody will annoy you. This is the true value of the
    I smiled out loud at this post, Mael! Thanks...

I think I ran into this guy, in DTK...he was last to enter, sat down and buffed, and only moved, after someone expressed some impatience. He said, something like, "Oh, I've got some tanking for ya! Just a sec..."

All I saw for the next few minutes, was a big bear butt, running in front of me, and dead mobs all over the place! Impressive, but, ultimately not very satisfying, at least, to me.

Call me old school, but, I like to stop and pick up loot, even if it's grey trash...what's the hurry, anyway? In a couple of months, we'll all be trying to get to level 85, wearing greens and blue, again...
    -"Just like a buzzin' fly, I come into your life, I'll float away, like honey in the sun..."--Tim Buckley

Quote Originally Posted by Mačl View Post

I found just not opening my own mouth prevents them from saying too much. Some friends make macros that they say alluding to the point "don't like it? Leave." Whereas if you don't say anything, most of the time they just give up quite quickly. And if they make too much commotion the others get irritated, ripening their self for a boot.

I've witnessed the above strategy frequently, and I feel bad if some of them are queued with a new healer as well. As a tree there were instances where barkskin and warstomp were almost becoming part of a rotation. The problem is I don't have the time to tell them what they're generally doing wrong, and I'm also too entertained to help them. I would yell at people standing in crap if it didn't give me something to do.
    "Just because it's not nice doesn't mean it's not miraculous." - T. P.

I've quit queuing as a tank for heroics, I almost always seem to get dps that is doing less than myself (warrior tank). I just queue as fury, tell the healer to heal me, mobs die quicker and I still end up tanking most of the instance.
    My Armory - A warrior tank turned Healadin!
    Pyrrhic -
    Strict 10m guild :: 8/12 HM :: 2 nights a week (if we're lucky)

Yeah tankings made me mean.

Take this morning for example. H DTK random daily.

Zone in, "Heyas, everyone ok for a quick run?". No answer. After a bit lock says "Smash it!".

So breeze through to Novos and dps runs ahead and pulls hims. So I guess they need the badges after all. Down the boss and a mate distracts me and I'm talking to him. Dps runs ahead and pulls the bats and rider, two die before I pick up the rest. "WTF are you doing tank?!?". Then I go to skip Dred. "What are you doing? 1 badge for 30 second boss?". "Oh ok, I did ask before". And quickly do Dred. And that's about all that was said for the run. Came 2nd on dps to the lock.

When people are so rude as to not even bother with the illusion of politeness then is it any wonder why tanks are getting mean.

From a tank/dps I'm with you. When I'm a dps I go crazy when a pally tank is waiting for his one minute divine plea to come off of CD (I also hate when i get tanks with 20k hp and can't hold aggro through 2 ticks of my consecration). To help keep the group going i pull single mobs just to keep us going. For instance 3 days ago this warrior was tanking FOREVER so i pulled 1 guy in halls of lightning and he goes crazy... As a tank I pull as fast as possible but doing heroics with so much mitigation makes me go oom fast so i have to drink. Today though while i was running through UK this healer either kept going afk after every pull or idk what but i was getting so frustrated. Lastly on what i think about people pulling while im the tank i don't care depending on the group. If we have an undergeared healer with an incredibly slow response time i might get mad when a dps who pulls dies before i could get aggro back. If i do heroics with friends I usually laugh about it cause i know they know what they are doing.

Over the last 2 weeks it has been hell. Healers that can not heal a way overgeared tank, dpsers pulling 500-800 dps.

Yesterday, on a run in HoL I just exploded. Had hunter doing 1.2k dps (using only auto shoot and with all ilvl245 or higher gear), cat pushing 1.2k dps and lock pulling 900 dps, so after 1st boss, I stopped and said on party channel: "if you guys do not up your game, I am HSing out and you will have to wait for 15 mins, and then wait for another tank. 2nd boss - hunter =4.5k dps, lock 2.8k and cat, well, he was not lazy, just a bad player.

This is a situation happening more and more, so I have decided that I am not carrying anymore lazy players. I will run daily either with only guildies or as dps.

But no tanking hasn't made me mean, I just can see what all the raid is doing (and right now is a tank and a healer carrying 2-3 dpsers >.< )

I think it made me a bit mean ... I've never exactly been an example of patience but i've encountered so many people that either become stupid while playing the game or are just plain ... stupid 100% of the time.

Like many, i do the daily because i have to in order to get the 2 EoF. I do it and i want to do it fast as possible as i have other alts that i also need to run through as well. I'm more than enough geared that i can compensate for poor and/or undergeared players. I dont mind carrying these people .... as long as they dont start acting like they know what they're doing(and soooo many think because they have welfare tier set and toc normal epics that that equates to skill ...) and do the pulls for me or purposedly continually hit other targets.

Really, dont do it. It pisses me off to no end and when i say "dont do it" dont come back with a "chill dude" ... really ... or you'll find yourself waiting another 20m for a tank while i go on an alt while my main has debuff.

Just do what you're supposed to do. Please.

PS: Yes im venting a bit

All these people who say to their groups "I'll leave and you'll have to wait another 15 mins for a tank" do realise that if you leave they will be front of the queue for the next available tank, as they are already in the dungeon.

Now if you kick them or they leave then it hurts them.

On the whole I just say Hi when join, and ask ready? then I ignore the party chat unless someone is asking a question or asking for a mana break. Then at the end regardless of how the group has been I'll at the very least say goodbye.

Good manners cost nothing, and you should always treat others as you would expect to be treated.

That said there have been times when I've run out of patience and responed with "Less QQ more Pew Pew" then pulled the next mob. For some reason speaking like this gets me more results than talking normally...

Doesn't matter how long they take to get another tank. My other alts are a healer and another tank ... I really dont care.

Im doing it for the EoF and i'll do the runs fast. The instances are easy enough and i neither need nor want the added "difficulty" of having to deal with people that either dont know or dont care to know their role in a 5 man instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
    All these people who say to their groups "I'll leave and you'll have to wait another 15 mins for a tank" do realise that if you leave they will be front of the queue for the next available tank, as they are already in the dungeon.
    I will HS out and go mining/check AH, I had enough of hunters just doing autoshout and locks only wanding. I can not remember the last HC where I run and I was not 2nd on overall dmg!

Maybe is just my luck lately, but by checking gear/enchants/spec of some of the dspers I have crossed paths with, I can only conclude that is laziness!

+ Reply to Thread