+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Has tanking made you mean

Quote Originally Posted by Banterloft View Post
    Healing made me mean, tanking made me better at it.
    lol Banterloft... I think I'm going to steal this as a signature.
    On the topic, I've been trying to look at myself and how I react in groups these way. It's more of the idiots or elitists (and wannabes) that has made me mean.

I have the same issue, if someone pulls, i will let them die and learn their lesson. If they whinge, i leave group, if not, we keep going as per usual.

Quote Originally Posted by !3M View Post
    On the topic, I've been trying to look at myself and how I react in groups these way. It's more of the idiots or elitists (and wannabes) that has made me mean.
    Have to agree with you on that. Its not tanking in general that has (at some occasions) made me mean and its not the players who didnt now what they were doing. Its the players who didnt know what they were doing but thought they did and at the same time were idiots about it.

At the same time I have some understanding for how it can be for others ppl since I havent been playing that long. As a death knight I have also gotten a lot of shit because of some older players dislike of the class. I was for example once (as a dps) forbidden to use DnD, no matter how the mob group looked like by a warrior tank who had according to himself "tanked since before I was lvl 1". Apparently it didnt matter that everyone else was using AoE attcks on the 3 mobs and that I was considerate enough to gie him 5 secs to gain proper aggro on all. He just didnt like DKs and wanted to make sure I was put in my place.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrikL View Post
    At the same time I have some understanding for how it can be for others ppl since I havent been playing that long. As a death knight I have also gotten a lot of shit because of some older players dislike of the class. I was for example once (as a dps) forbidden to use DnD, no matter how the mob group looked like by a warrior tank who had according to himself "tanked since before I was lvl 1". Apparently it didnt matter that everyone else was using AoE attcks on the 3 mobs and that I was considerate enough to gie him 5 secs to gain proper aggro on all. He just didnt like DKs and wanted to make sure I was put in my place.

I will also hate you if you drop colourful sh** on the ground before the pull. I need to gain the groups attention before you do and there is no need for you to have a head start. Since you are standing next to me it really is at times not that easy to find which mob is hammering you. And you have a lower threshold to pull aggro from me.
    Clothies can at least stop their attack and most of them have ways to drop aggro or can at least take the beating. At least I SEE what I have to taunt since it is the one guy who is running away from me.
    T-Clap is on a CD. Shockwave needs positioning and has a CD. I need rage for both. Just wait that second so you won't make my life miserable.

So yeah, I too don't like retardins and unholieness-in-a-can. Because most of them pull stuff like that. If you interfere with my pulls I will let you die.

SIMON DE MONTFORT, EARL OF LEICESTER
    pioneer of representative government who was
    killed in the Battle of Evesham on 4 August 1265.

Quote Originally Posted by Mačl View Post
    I will also hate you if you drop colourful sh** on the ground before the pull. I need to gain the groups attention before you do and there is no need for you to have a head start. Since you are standing next to me it really is at times not that easy to find which mob is hammering you. And you have a lower threshold to pull aggro from me.
    Clothies can at least stop their attack and most of them have ways to drop aggro or can at least take the beating. At least I SEE what I have to taunt since it is the one guy who is running away from me.
    T-Clap is on a CD. Shockwave needs positioning and has a CD. I need rage for both. Just wait that second so you won't make my life miserable.

So yeah, I too don't like retardins and unholieness-in-a-can. Because most of them pull stuff like that. If you interfere with my pulls I will let you die.
    Yeah of course, but since my main spec is tanking I would never do that. As I wrote in my post I would give him at least 5 secs before any colorful things are put down on the ground. Not only because the tank needs to get a good aggro hold but also because it would only be a dps loss for me to drop it first. I know its far from uncommon that DKs do that but I dont think that motivates firbidding the rest of us from using it at all. Should be said I havent heard this too many times and almost always from beginner tanks.

Also when I dps I know to use my defensive cooldowns which seems to be very uncommon for non tanking dps'ers so unless I run with a very bad tank I tend to be far down on the damage taken list.

Unimportant issue all in all since I tank most of the times anyway.

Yeah, I was mostly venting my frustration with players dropping their colourful sh*t on the ground before the pulls. It's my rant of the day. I guess it wasn't even directly aimed at you.

Quote Originally Posted by !3M View Post
    lol Banterloft... I think I'm going to steal this as a signature.
    Feel free buddy!

To go further into what I mean... Roics use to be alot harder to find a group if you didn't have a healer or a tank. If I came and my tank was undergeared, I knew to get the cooldowns ready, have my finger on fade, and heal his arse so he could get some gear so it wouldn't be as bad the next time. Dps on the other hand, especially ranged dps... I have omen.. I have recount... I know that your pulling aggro. You get one shield and a renew and you better pray that prayer of mending shoots your way when it pops. Then I have a macro that procs in chat while I'm rezing that states the following...

If you do not have omen "target name" then you are fail and you died. If you have omen then your an ass and you died. I will not be topping you off if you aggro. Be better or be dead.

Eventually most get better, some decide to call me all kinds of bad things... Which is REALLY GOING TO MAKE ME WANT TO HEAL YOU... Some leave. Either way, I took the worry off the tank and we have a better instance. Even guildies know that in a raid setting, I will not be saving you if you pull aggro. I will not bring a tank who cannot tank this boss so its not his problem, its yours. The point I drove in hard a couple of weeks ago when our big "ballin" arcane mage decided he was going to go all out. Faceplant. When he bitched in vent why he died, I didn't have to say anything. My rogue.. YES A ROGUE chimed in with...

You commited suicide. How big is the omen UI on your screen?

I was a proud papa....
    Last edited by Banterloft; 01-12-2010 at 08:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by WarTotem View Post
    You know you just called yourself an asshat, right?

Yeah, I was mostly venting my frustration with players dropping their colourful sh*t on the ground before the pulls. It's my rant of the day. I guess it wasn't even directly aimed at you.
    I tank as a DK and other DK's do it to me too. At times, if they drop their DnD before me, I just let them get the threat. We'll see if they can take a punch.

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    I tank as a DK and other DK's do it to me too. At times, if they drop their DnD before me, I just let them get the threat. We'll see if they can take a punch.
    I think I will explore the possibilities of taking a step back and pulling with my trusty throwing knife. I'll know where the mobs are so they should be easy to pick up.
    Note to self: Vigilance on the healer.

I must admit being a healer made me mean. People standing in random colored object on the floor and dieing and then blaming me for it. When I was a healer all I could do is sit there and take it... When I tank and someone says something that pisses me off I get as many mobs as I can and then bubble and take a rest ( /sit ) and watch the fun commense.

I was told one time that I wasnt pulling my weight on the 3rd encounter in HoR(dps wise). So I said well if you are getting them down fast enough then you dont need me. So I took a break and watched the hunter try to tank it with his pet.

Quote Originally Posted by doomwarder View Post
    I must admit being a healer made me mean. People standing in random colored object on the floor and dieing and then blaming me for it. When I was a healer all I could do is sit there and take it... When I tank and someone says something that pisses me off I get as many mobs as I can and then bubble and take a rest ( /sit ) and watch the fun commense.

I was told one time that I wasnt pulling my weight on the 3rd encounter in HoR(dps wise). So I said well if you are getting them down fast enough then you dont need me. So I took a break and watched the hunter try to tank it with his pet.
    In all my years of healing I have never intentionally wiped a group. I have never intentionally wiped a group as a tank.
    Letting offenders die, yes. 3 or 4 times.
    I have jumped ship exactly twice in all my time as a tank and never as a healer.
    You'll also kill somebody who is not necessarily causing you displeasure but is only interested in peace and quiet.
    There is a line you can cross.

Sorry, I take tanking and healing very seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Warwench View Post
    there are some serious fun vampires in this thread. The kind that make me click leave party and go and find something to do with my kids.

some of you people need to unclench your sphincter when you tank.
    I could not agree more. It's a game, if you get to the point where you are red in the face, slamming your mouse on your desk and cursing loud enough we can hear you without being in TS, the take break, and get some real life time in, then come back and have fun again.

Mean tanks....NO, mean healers....NO, mean DPS....NO, just rude mean people.

I'll echo this and add that I take whatever role I play very seriously. It's really about principles for me. I don't want it done to me, hence I don't give people the crap I hate.

I tend to have the same view on everyone I meet. I know of this DPS who is usually amiable when he's on his hunter, but a real asshat when he's on his tank (I'm guessing it's because he's smart enough to know that he needs the tank and healers while on his DPS toon). Needless to say, I'm not grouping with him anymore (on any of the roles that I can fill).

I can take wipes, heavy repair bills... but I cannot stand rude obnoxious people or those who don't bother trying to make the place that they are in a better environment.

I don't have a mean bone in my body...

I only get frustrated when that retribution pally runs ahead and pulls the next group and with or without healing simply won't die - no matter what me or the healer do really. There's really nothing to it than making a remark or two and sucking it up really. If you choose to random with randoms you'll meet the best and the worst. Shrug it off and remember the odd stuff that happens; at least you'll have good stories to tell your guildies...
    My lack of proper signature actually is a proud minimalistic stand

I have been pretty lucky with all my random pug groups this far.
    The only time I got in a random pug and ran i to trouble, my pocket healing drood and I handled it in our own special way.
    Dungeon was UK, group was Hunter-mage and lock +pocket healer and me. Before 1st pull I let everyone know that I will be pulling large packs of mobs, so hold of on the aoe until mobs are grouped up. Then I go and pull first 8-10 mobs but before I can even get a shock wave of the lock is dead because he decided it was oki to SoC every mob as soon as I charged in..... He gets miffed and says " Hmmm so cant hold agro eh ?" I lol a bit and remind him No aoe until I have agro. next few pulls he does the same, I save him a few times with aoe taunt and intervene. we get to the drake room. And he decides to pull random groups, ofc he dies and starts again... "lol you suck at agro.....If it happens again I'm out of here" Then pocket healer then whispers me "Oki lets do the trick" I agree, and lets mage and hunter know what is gonna happen via whisper. Thy lol and say oki. I then say in party "oki pulling all" I pull last 10 mobs in the room, shock wave and leave the party along with mage hunter and my pocket drood.
    In my book thats not being mean, he had it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadmann View Post
    I have been pretty lucky with all my random pug groups this far.
    The only time I got in a random pug and ran i to trouble, my pocket healing drood and I handled it in our own special way.
    Dungeon was UK, group was Hunter-mage and lock +pocket healer and me. Before 1st pull I let everyone know that I will be pulling large packs of mobs, so hold of on the aoe until mobs are grouped up. Then I go and pull first 8-10 mobs but before I can even get a shock wave of the lock is dead because he decided it was oki to SoC every mob as soon as I charged in..... He gets miffed and says " Hmmm so cant hold agro eh ?" I lol a bit and remind him No aoe until I have agro. next few pulls he does the same, I save him a few times with aoe taunt and intervene. we get to the drake room. And he decides to pull random groups, ofc he dies and starts again... "lol you suck at agro.....If it happens again I'm out of here" Then pocket healer then whispers me "Oki lets do the trick" I agree, and lets mage and hunter know what is gonna happen via whisper. Thy lol and say oki. I then say in party "oki pulling all" I pull last 10 mobs in the room, shock wave and leave the party along with mage hunter and my pocket drood.
    In my book thats not being mean, he had it coming.
    That's borderlining meaness. Being real mean would have been trying to get all his stuff in the red.
    But the real issue here is that he propably didn't learn anything from this experience.

In all my years of healing I have never intentionally wiped a group. I have never intentionally wiped a group as a tank.
    Letting offenders die, yes. 3 or 4 times.
    I have jumped ship exactly twice in all my time as a tank and never as a healer.
    You'll also kill somebody who is not necessarily causing you displeasure but is only interested in peace and quiet.
    There is a line you can cross.

You gotta remember one thing, this is a game. Taking it so serious that you carry idiots isn't fun. The entire point of playing a game is to have fun. There is a difference in crossing a line in a group of people you play with everyday, and crossing a line with a bunch of people you will most likely never see again( and I only do this when they are being dumb )

In raid situations have I ever on purpose caused a wipe? Nope. Pugs where dps says they are awesome and yet they cause multiple wipes in a heroic? Yes, yes I have and will continue to.

If you dont like the way I play the "game", then dont play it with me.

Sorry for ranting. My frustrations are not aimed at you. I am sure you are a wonderful player and I would love to group with you. I currently play one toon, and in most peoples opinions(my guilds and most people I pug with on my server) I play it very well. I put a lot of time into my character and when I see some scrub in my group talking crap my 1st response is to shut him up. I do this for the sake of the group not for my own motives.

You gotta remember one thing, this is a game. Taking it so serious that you carry idiots isn't fun. The entire point of playing a game is to have fun.
    I think what Mael was saying is that you (everyone playing) don't make the group pay for 1 idiot's mistakes. :P

It's also about ethics, leaving group because of the idiot is ok imho but not wiping the entire party just so that 1 idiot can learn his lesson. Sides, he might have been oblivious to it and still have not learnt.
    Last edited by !3M; 01-13-2010 at 10:49 AM. Reason: punctuation

I raid tanked for years in EQ1 and had a low dumbass tolerance in that game, but the stuff I saw in wow after starting in beta made me promise myself I'd never roll a tank in wow without good reason for fear of my sanity. I finally started a warrior when my wife decided to try playing an online game for the first time about 7 months back and wanted to be a priest. I was really well behaved at first keeping the vibe positive even in idiot groups, but by the time we made northrend I was done lol. I'm a perpetually happy and helpful guy, but after enough dps blow off your well intended and politely put advice claiming they know what they're doing when they clearly do not I had enough. I started letting dps die for pulling agro, if they pulled before me my wife and I would watch said idiot die, I stopped sending helpful tells and instead asked them wtf they were thinking in party chat without moving until they gave an explanation to everyone they just killed and the crowning moment was when some fury warrior in a heroic jumped ahead of me to pull which resulted in my wife letting him die. His comment "Hey, nice healing." and my wife's "Hey, nice tanking. Oh wait...you're not a tank are you dumbass." I was so proud.

We took a break while she had surgery to remove a disc in her neck and have now started up with druids that are almost to northrend. I expect the fun to start shortly =)

Taking it so serious that you carry idiots isn't fun.
    I hate carrying idiots. I really do. Damn freeloaders.
    But I also hated carrying idiots as a healer.

Yesterday while getting my 2 frost badges I had a runin with a special kind of idiot.

I enter the instance. Look at everybodies max health just to get a first estimate who to put vigilance on. I decide on the rogue since he is the only melee. The hunter immediately cries for vigilance. Which I ignore. I usually only reconsider after watching Omen for a couple of pulls.
    It's late in the evening so I want to take it nice and slow. The hunter is of the "gogo" variety. The rogue is actually quite good. I get the usual ToT + AE treatment 2 seconds AFTER my first t-clap. Very nice.
    Yet the hunter manages never to feign death, misdirect or do anything else beyond dps. Sorry, if you can pull 7k dps on a single mob yet you can't put a trap in front of a healer then I can easily replace you with a bot. DPS rotations are braindead, braindead, braindead. I guess this is why it is sometimes so hard to stick to them because the brain doesn't believe what utter crap it is expected to process.
    Enter Novos. This isn't exactly a fight that showers you in rage. The hunter doesn't leave me at least two seconds before he breaks out the big guns(heh! pun! I'm funny). He grabs aggro and holds it. I decide not to taunt. He did survive. Pity that.
    I had to taunt off of the other players once or twice(it's become mechanical). I pulled all dinosaurs including the big one. I reduced the rest of the instance to 4 pulls. And every thime I was told to hurry up by the hunter I discovered that it was a very good time to practice the art of skinning.

Did I carry that overgeard snob? Nope. The healer did that. How close was I to vote-kick him? Very. Why didn't I do it? Well, I didn't want to talk to him and before you vote-kick somebody you should at least let the party know why.

I prefer the undergeared. I prefer those who are still learning. I would wipe with them until my bottom turns purple. But for some asshats I won't even bother to taunt.

But still I have the obligation to get the other 3 safely to the end of the instance. Otherwise there would be no point of me being a tank.
    I hope that explains my approach to tanking. I haven't gone insane, yet. Can't be all wrong.
    Last edited by Mačl; 01-14-2010 at 02:29 AM.

+ Reply to Thread