+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Has tanking made you mean

Quote Originally Posted by Atalon View Post
    I found the best way to make the tank move faster is to start pulling. (Holy fire ftw).
    I agree with a previous poster. If you did this to me your arse would be dead and then I would vote kick you. Tanking does not make me mean, stupid moves like the one you described do.

I woke up one morning still groggy and did my random daily. Getting my head straight I started pulling and warming up.

Priest "You need to pull faster"

Me "You need to chill out"

Priest "Well I could just leave"

Me "Bye"
    With the new Dungeon Finder anyone can easily be replaced at will. So you make the call. Do you want to complete this dungeon now or wait 15 more minutes? Seems like being a total a$$ hat and pulling for the tank would be a bad move if your in a hurry.

Normally I chain pull and go fast, but if if someone important to me is whispering or my wife needs my attention for a minute you dam well better believe your desire for me to go faster comes in a far second. This is a heroic not a progression raid.

If a tank is obviously taking forever (ie: more than just the first few pulls) then consider politely asking them to pick up the pace. If the tank just plain sucks balls, save your self the time and leave.
    Last edited by Bodasafa; 12-15-2009 at 10:21 AM.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Nope I was a meany face before I ever started tanking.

True Knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
    Agg's tanking guide

Quote Originally Posted by Inaara View Post
    Nope I was a meany face before I ever started tanking.
    This. And stupid people make me mean, not tanking.

I've never been mean or atleast not initially to anyone. I find at this point in my tanking it's a matter of patience. I have very little it seems.

I've found the LFG tool to be both good and bad in some regards. It's a PuG, so the results vary. I usually adjust my speed of pulls after the first one or two based on how fast or slow we kill the mobs. I got Old Kingdom yesterday and after the first 2 pulls I knew the group was solid enough to chain pull the whole place. I only stopped right before bosses if people needed to mana. That was a decent group, which alot are. But, I've already been in a couple where if I see my name at 1st or 2nd on DPS meter I know I might have to take it a bit slower depending on the healer.

It does bug me when people do stupid stuff, like going full bore out of the gate, not understanding tank mechanics much less their own. Then try to blame the tank or healers. Finally, the thing that pisses off more than anything is if some says, "Tank do this or that" or "Tank don't let me die". After that, I usually let them die.

What really annoys me are the people that refer to me as "Tank", or "Warrior", knowing full well I have a name. And then demanding that I do something, such as:

"Hey tank make it a fast run".....

My response was to say that I would prefer a slow run.

I wouldn't say tanking has made me mean, but it has made me less tolerant of stupid stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    If I'm tanking and the caster wants to pull, that's fine, just don't complain if I don't pick the mobs up.
    That's my rule in a pug. You pull it, you tank it. You hit it before I do, it's yours to deal with. I'm not saving your ass.

I pull as fast as I think the DPS can handle. If I observe DPS who know when to start DPSing, I'll pull multiple groups. If I think they'll start AoE as soon as I get the first group, then I won't pull the 2nd group. I pull for what I think the group can handle, not just what I personally can tank.

My pet peeve is 'hurry up and wipe'. i.e. I hate tanks/groups that go *too fast* and wipe instead of saving time.

Am I the only person who gets annoyed when dps constantly yells "go go"

Ah, yes, the "pew-pew" comments annoy the crap out of me. If the healer tells me to pull faster, I go. If the DPS say it and healer doesn't chime in, I ignore it. I can only get away with this because tanks and healers spend about 4 seconds in the queue while DPS waits 6-10 minutes (at the time I play).

Nothing worse that seeing a second mob pulled when my aoe threats are on CD because no one noticed the pat on the first pull but me .....

If you can't deal with waiting a little, seriously, drink less coffee. I chain pull instances on my tank, but when I'm healing I just make sure everyone's bar is topped up and relax. It seems almost ADHD-esque to just start pulling mobs because you can't wait. :-/

Summary: If healer is pulling let him die

This turned out a much better thread than I hoped for.

I really do think it is all about patience. Since I played a DPS first, then healer, and now my tank is my main, I have seen it from 3 different view points.

As a dps I was at mercy of the tank, so I behaved. As a healer, my goal was to keep everyone at 100%, (since after 500 emblems or so, you get pretty bored with the normal challenge)

But as a tank, I love it. I own the 5 mans, I decide pace of the group, it feeds my control freak tendencies. And after running 20-30 heroics in one day on my tank I couldn't do any other way. I guess when you go tank you don't go back?

Also, when I do pull as healer I tend to pull 2 group mobs max, which as disc I can heal through for a while.

Lastly, as a suggestion to other healers who have an impatient streak, I say try to dps, while you heal. Get yourself a holy nova glyph and stack those dots.

I am not that geared but I have pulled overall 1200 dps in VH and my personal best was the last boss of gundrak of 2194.

I do play this game for fun and I do realize that people have different skill levels, but sometimes my fun comes at the expense of others. If it wasn't for LFG I could never do it.

P.S. If a tank ever let me die, I would get in line, but they are so control freak they can't let agro stay on someone else but them......evil laugh.

-Atalon

Quote Originally Posted by Raij View Post
    What really annoys me are the people that refer to me as "Tank", or "Warrior", knowing full well I have a name. And then demanding that I do something, such as:

"Hey tank make it a fast run".....

My response was to say that I would prefer a slow run.
    My God, I love you.

I have a freaking name. It's short, it's easy to abbreviate, it has no wierd characters in it. Use it. And please extend the same courtesy to the others in my group.

I amused myself in H PoS once:

"Hey, this is a premade, so I hope ur good."

"No, sorry, I'm terrible." (leaves group)

The warm glow of schadenfraude lasted the entire 15 minutes I was waiting for the deserter debuff to go away

Quote Originally Posted by defence View Post
    /blood presence
    *pull*
    Oh! I didn't see you get aggro there dead eager DPS guy! Oh hey look I was in blood presence, sorry!

/frost presence

Quote Originally Posted by Vaarr View Post
    Since becoming at tank, I have found that it does get rather hard to keep from critisizing and all around being "that guy" that pisses people off. That is, until I ran a few raids with my wife who promptly told me "You know you are a complete a$$hole and I am not running anything with you anymore." She then didn't talk to me and I slept on the couch that night.

Since then I have been much more concientious about other people in both raids and 5-mans. I think the key thing to remember is IT IS A GAME! People play to have fun! If you are being impatient or pushy and demanding in general you are spoiling the fun for everybody else and as such, you are most likely not going to have much fon yourself. So just relax and let everybody enjoy themselves. Remember that everybody is at a different stage in the game for themselves and everybody needs to develope their skills at their own pace. It's okay to give a little helpful advice, but be nice about it.
    I have big control issues (says my therapists, friends, family and ex gfs) and this is like a painting of me! The first time I got one of my GFs to play an MMO was also the last time. In actual raids the only thing that saves me is not pushing my push to talk button when screaming at people whom I have deemed as being knuckle dragging mouth breathers. You can talk about everyone needing to grow at their own pace but I am like a growth hormone for the most part. In raids I see people without DBM and it makes my retina bleed with rage. It comes from my military background, if someone isn't behind cover when they should be you flip out on them and my reaction to folks screwing up in wow is exactly the same. When stupidity poses a risk to my team I tend to intervene.

Not mean, tanking makes you feel as if you have responsibility for the group.

I'm just starting tanking again in the 5 mans since I stopped when wotlk came out and I switched classes. I'm a fast puller though and I'm much more likely to pull too fast then too slow and wipe us that way. Heck theres 3 5mans I haven't even run yet even though my tank set is all recent raid epics I've been collecting the whole xpac.

If a healer wants a group to go faster, whisper the tank and tell em you can go faster cause you want more to heal. A healer who wants a tank to go slower should ask for it in whisper. Nothing wrong with that, it's our job to work well together since it requires both of us to do it.

Now when someone does silly things like makes a pull when I'm not ready for whatever reason is an idiot. If it's a DPS, I usually just whisper the healer and tell them to not heal them if they do it again.

Being a pally tank now though I could always DI the healer and let you guys pay some repair bills that meanness came from having been a raid leader not from being a tank though

Hell if I care if you want to tank shit, I'll pick up the others and you can ask for new buffs.

I usually figure that on trash, if the healer has more than 50% mana, it's OK for me to pull. Of course, unless dps are being stupid, the healer always has more than 50% mana. The reason I figure it's OK to pull is because on most heroics I can survive a trash pull or two entirely without a healer, or more if the dps don't suck.

I've had healers bitch at me when I pulled while they were at 80% mana, because they needed to drink. I have a priest alt. I heal stuff too. If you're at 80% mana, you don't need to drink, dammit.

It hasn't made me mean. It's made me impatient. I have 3 80 tanks, DK leveling is slow because I don't like tanking on it yet, and I chain pull like no tomorrow. My favorite move is to shockwave or conc the last few mobs and then charge off to round up the next pull while dps finishes them off.

However, my main raiding toon is a warlock, and I have plenty of other alts (every class above 63 atm) and when I run dungeons, I'm tapping my fingers, just lickin my chops for the keyboard turning "I've never done this instance before" tank to get the hell going. It's particularly bad in Outlands dungeons, where I'm still so used to the pulls from BC heroics I could do them while I had a RL snobold on my head, and the tank is a fresh DK, or it's his first toon and he's leveling up and can barely hold on to his main target.

While I like it when a tank moves fast, I hate it when a tank won't let me get out of combat, particularly for my rogue. If you won't let me get back into combat, I'm generating energy 30% slower, and I'm not getting to garrote mobs, which means if I want to Hunger for Blood, I'll need to waste a bunch of combo points on rupture. Basically, it's a pretty big dps loss not to be able to restealth. I like to push the limits on my tank too, but usually I'll let people tick out of combat for a half second before pulling.

Quote Originally Posted by defence View Post
    No you are not alone. I can safely say, that I never (and never say never), when I dps, tell the tank how fast to pull or how slow, etc. Pull fast, I'll keep up, take your time I'll chill - doesn't really matter; the tank sets the pace not the dps - it's his/her ballgame.

Quote Originally Posted by Reev View Post
    While I like it when a tank moves fast, I hate it when a tank won't let me get out of combat
    Yeah, this is why I'm a "pull in neat groups that I can kill quickly" tank, instead of "show off and pull the whole room" tank.

The neat group dies, you get out of combat while I charge the next one and get threat on it. By the time you get there, you've dropped out of combat, and are ready to start again, and I've had a couple seconds to set things up for you. It works well for me, and I like it on my DPS and heal toons, too.

DPS that tells me to 'gogogogogo', I tell them to go at my pace, or leave, as I can replace them in 30 seconds or less with the new LFG tool. If they want to go faster, they can tank it on their own tank toon. I'm not a slow puller by any means, I just don't have any need to pull whole rooms to show off.

+ Reply to Thread