+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Has tanking made you mean

Meaner? No, I don't think I was ever mean. Everyone has their own pace. I tend to pull fast, but if I'm on my hunter I let the tank set his/her pace, I'll keep up either way and pound out the damage. Even in a PuG raid, if the less geared tank jumps in and starts saying, "I'm main tank" (probably some 12 year old anyway to whom that means something), my reaction is "meh, go ahead, I'll be here to get the boss when when you face plant."

If I'm tanking and the caster wants to pull, that's fine, just don't complain if I don't pick the mobs up.

In the end, I figure it's a video game and the object is to have fun, it's not worth getting ones panties in a bind over.

Pulling groups is a jerk move, plain and simple. If the tank is too slow, there are other ways to get him to speed up, like: I tell the tank in /p to "just keep pulling man, healing is no problem". The first time you pull in me, i'll rescue you, but the second time, when it's obvious you're doing on purpose, I'm going to let you tank 'em.

And random heroic pugs also means varying levels of skill. As long as the tank is pulling at a consistent pace, a little patience is expected from the rest of the group. Not every tank has the experience to chain pull all the way through an instance, or even judge the best speed that the dps/healers are capable of moving.

I've always been mean.

Ok, ok, not really mean. I don't actually *yell* at guildies who show up to raids without gems or enchants. I just let them know how very, very sad I am.

I played a healer first, then leveled up my warrior and I see the balance from both sides. I'm not mean but I don't put up with bullshit either.

I do have to say though, if you pulled ahead of me with holy fire instead of just asking me to pull faster, I'd let your ass bite the dust and leave the group in about 2 seconds.

Well, to be honest I am a very fast puller and have the tank experience to do this, but ran into a wall when I pulled two trash groups at the same time in ToC (the only trash in there). This is something I do every time, but with the abysmal DPS we wiped because of it and one DPS left (I told him to after he started whining). So it really depends on the skill of the rest of your group, I just keep an eye on mana if I don't have a guild healer and pull as fast as I can without OOMing them.

I have been called "the best tank I've ever seen" by alot of these new pugs, yet one wipe because the group can't perform and you suck. Its all relative!

Has tanking made me mean? Well, yes and no. I am more judgmental of how things should be done. I wouldn't say that is mean, more just a perfectionist/control freak.

I've gotten the "best tank I've ever seen," thing before too, and I've also gotten, "You're a stubborn SOB, aren't you?" The latter was a recent comment from a healer who wanted me to back up so that he could pull the trash packs after the second boss in PoS. When I said no, and wouldn't back up, he decided he didn't like me much. Guess what? We cleared the packs without issue, and I pulled. There was tension between him as healer and me as tank for the rest of the run, but we made it through fine. It really felt weird though, because usually my healers love me. I think this one should have just rolled a tank.

If healers are wanting to pull they should have made tanks. Healers are not a controlling role, they are supportive. That is the main differences, and where the main stresses come forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Raij View Post
    If healers are wanting to pull they should have made tanks. Healers are not a controlling role, they are supportive. That is the main differences, and where the main stresses come forth.
    And women should stay in the kitchen too, right!?

Seriously though, if you're not pulling fast enough and your healer is not having problems at all, pull faster and there ain't no problems! If you're healer is getting frustrated enough at you that they're actually pulling ahead, like... I'd be happy, means I can go faster!!!
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Yah, but I don't think that's what Reeve was saying. His healer was being a tard, they can be like that too :P

And Agg, I would love a 50s wife...wanna hook me up?

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    And women should stay in the kitchen too, right!?

Seriously though, if you're not pulling fast enough and your healer is not having problems at all, pull faster and there ain't no problems! If you're healer is getting frustrated enough at you that they're actually pulling ahead, like... I'd be happy, means I can go faster!!!
    In the case I was talking about, the healer just thought that he'd be the best person to pull that trash pack. Lord knows why.

Oh I didn't read reev's post, I thought you were talking about the other people who said they'd kick their healers if they started pulling groups to go faster like the OP. Ya Reev's healer was a tard.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Paladin healers wear plate, so they can take the big hits. Duh -.-

Quote Originally Posted by Raij View Post
    Paladin healers wear plate, so they can take the big hits. Duh -.-
    Ya maybe big hits from a bong 'cuz they're smokin' something if they think they should pull trash packs. Am I rite?!

Okay this is getting ridiculous even for me, =P

Ridiculousness is the key to keeping our warrior minds refreshed, so we can move our fingers at ever increasing break neck speeds. Personally I'm hoping for a 0.5 speed tanking weapon so I can hit Heroic Strike twice a second instead of once

I was actually called a "Sucky retard tank" because I had a DK in full PvP gear who wanted to tank... and I let him, repeatedly. But don't worry, I warned him once that if he did it again I wouldn't pull the mob off of him. Oh yeah, the top dps: 2.6k in a heroic. The rogue who was pulling 1.7k said that I was bad. O.o

I was mean before on account of my low tolerance for stupidity. If someone wants to tank, I warn them once, then I let them.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

I often out DPS the entire group as a Prot warrior, tanking heroics. At most I pull 3k DPS....

The Meanness

Since becoming at tank, I have found that it does get rather hard to keep from critisizing and all around being "that guy" that pisses people off. That is, until I ran a few raids with my wife who promptly told me "You know you are a complete a$$hole and I am not running anything with you anymore." She then didn't talk to me and I slept on the couch that night.

Since then I have been much more concientious about other people in both raids and 5-mans. I think the key thing to remember is IT IS A GAME! People play to have fun! If you are being impatient or pushy and demanding in general you are spoiling the fun for everybody else and as such, you are most likely not going to have much fon yourself. So just relax and let everybody enjoy themselves. Remember that everybody is at a different stage in the game for themselves and everybody needs to develope their skills at their own pace. It's okay to give a little helpful advice, but be nice about it.

Really good point Vaarr. But on the same note, I get pissed off when anyone sucks at a game that I have to work with, same in real life. Hell, I'm a bad loser and a worse winner, the price to pay for being a perfectionist.

as for me -- I dont like to play my DD twinks in pve any longer, just cause there are such lame tanks

I usually run with the same 2-4 other people. Pugging only when we cant fill that last spot so usually I dont have to be mean. I haven't had to use the "vote to kick" feature yet either. Maybe I've just been lucky, or maybe the others I run with always carry their weight.

Pug raids however Im quick to kick/leave. I have little patience when dealing with more than 5 people.

+ Reply to Thread