+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Has tanking made you mean

Has tanking made you mean

First off, I love the new dungeon tool........

I ran like 30 heroics on my tank the first day it came out. I loved it. I try to finish then before the 15 minute timer is up.........No one dies, no one complains it was great.

Now, I am doing it on my healer, and I fear that I am an AXXhole. If I see a tank with 32k+ health (in a non-ICC or TOC 5 man). I want fast pulls cause m y disc priest can keep up. I found the best way to make the tank move faster is to start pulling. (Holy fire ftw). Granted I do not this if they say afk or brb)

But just a slow puller tank makes me go crazy, I was not like this before playing my tank....

So my question has playing a tank made you have expectations when you heal? And do you force your will on other poeple. And do you think I should stop? (Chances I will just run guildies, if i can't handle the pace)

Thanks guys, I owe a lot my success to this site.

-Atalon

It hasn't made me mean. It has made me realize that I love AoE groups.

been running the last 2 days in normal pit and forge for my Pall's heal offspec pieces and find myself tapping my foot at geared tanks going slow. On the flipside i also have had a few that go roaring off with buffed 30k grabbing everything, getting out of range, and luckily I'm able to get there just in time to save them at a sliver of life. So i just take the good with the bad.

got my drops in those places as of 30 min ago, so now i just gotta hope for the chest out of heroic Halls, since the tier9 sure doesnt impress me.

now to see which tanks can grab aggro on those lovely pulls at the beginning
    http://www.zetbit.com/sig-1237522.jpg
    You take a mortal man, and put him in control, watch him become a god, and peoples heads roll.

I wouldn't say it makes me mean, most of the time. Sometimes it makes me mean, I guess. But yeah, I think that being a tank is like the ultimate control freak role in WoW. If you're a tank, you're used to being in control, and probably like it. So when you aren't the one in control of the pulls and the run in general, you tend to nitpick everything that other tank does, because it's not what you do, whether that's fast pulls, slow pulls, good interrupts, strong threat, smart use of cooldowns, which mobs to pull next, or whatever the deal is.

So yeah, I get frustrated with other tanks easily when I'm healing (though not as much when I'm dpsing surprisingly), but most of the time I try to let it lie. Once in a while I probably let the inner asshole out.

I've also been loving the new random heroic system. I do chain pulls and also pull two packs at a time if i see that the group can take it. I still hate it though when someone pulls ahead of me. When they do, I let them die first then I take them back. If it's a healer, I let us wipe, tell them "blame (whoever pulled)", then I leave. I don't mind the 15-min lockout.

This doesn't depend only on the tank, but on the group's capacity to burn out packs as well. The only things holding me down during chain pulls are my runes and DnD.

PS: hmm, after reading my post, yeah, it did make me mean
    Last edited by jaydee; 12-15-2009 at 12:10 AM.

Jay,

you made me feel better, even though you would let me die. The worst thing I ever did on my healer, was when one the dpsers was being less than polite I just said I am not healing you. Luckily, the tank wasn't great and lost agro Everyone was at 100% he was dead. I laughed.....That's when I knew i had a problem.

Atlaon

I have 2 alts I regularly play and when not tanking I help the tank in my group as much as I can. On my rogue that means a lot of Tircks of the Trade sometimes interrupting casters so they get in range of the tank and saving the healer even if it means my own death.
    On my priest which I mostly play shadow it means fearwarrdng the tank dpsing the right target saving the healer and sometimes but only sometimes pop out of shadowform and do a hymn or a heal.

i think u gotta appreciate that not all tanks will be as experianced as yourself and that when you was learning you would have liked people to be patient with yourself.

there is a line between patient and im gonna fall asleep tho :P

I prefer groups that are capable of at least some smalltalk rather than just quietly grinding out an instance I've done countless times. I prefer that we proceed to the instance at an appropriate pace, but there's a point where it becomes a mindless rush that I do not enjoy.

I actually like it most when I end up with an undergeared or otherwise imperfect group.

I'd rather they went slow than go fast an fucked it up. If you're gonna pull before they do they may not be ready and it could cause an unnecessary wipe.
    Xíanth <Valkyria>

I had this yesterday with a hunter - he was just opening up on mobs before I'd pulled them. I waited til the next time he did it and just waited, let the mob beat on him for a while. Then I told him that unless he was going to start misdirecting, he should stop doing that. I don't think I got a single misdirect throughout the entire instance, but he stopped pulling.

Point is that getting initial agro is really useful, especially with mob facing issues being such a bitch at the moment. As a warrior with AOE threat moves on cooldowns, I really want my thunderclap and shockwave to hit as many mobs as possible, not have the scattered around because some dps got initial threat and the caster mob drifted straight to the healer.

So while I can totally understand that following a hesitant tank can be frustrating, I'd say the last thing you should be doing to help him speed up is making his job harder.

Instant dungeon finder. Instant travel. Instant gratification. Gotta grind grind grind those badges baby!

I'm a chain puller on my tank, I check the healers gear then charge in. Mob after mob, I don't even loot. Only time I stop is if the healer goes oom.

I never pull mobs when I'm healing, but I tell the tank in /p to "just keep pulling man, healing is no problem". But unless I'm running with a mate tanking I rarely get a run as fast as I like.

I am only mean when it comes to AoE tanking, because I am terribad at it.
    But no, not completely mean, most of my groups are understanding of my noob-ness. Lol

Simple answer:Yes

Reason most geared tanks pull slow in dungeons is because no one knows how "good" the players on his team are. Gear has and will never be the measuring stick of quality but it atleast shows that they saw that raid for whatever good it does. If you want the tank to pull faster let him know politely in a whisper that he can pull more. Someone pulling for a tank is akin to dps as the tank moving the target out of range and for a healer its akin to letting someone die.

When I tank the heroics I tell my group "keep up, my goal is going to be to keep you in combat the entire time, I'm hereby sorry for any time you are out of combat" and then I just start booking it.

However: I think tanking and guild leading has over time made me meaner in general. While I think overall tanking is easier (as far as tank threat and damage goes, I don't have to be amazing, I just have to be better than our top dps. It's kind of the "I don't have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun you." thing) if a tank messes up, it more often ends in a wipe than it does if a dps messes up. You know obviously this is mechanic dependent, but if a dps dies and it is their own damn fault, it's likely the rest of the raid won't die, whereas if it it's a tank, they will.

Overall it makes you really edgy to criticism I think because DPS can make mistakes far more often than a tank and get lambasted less for it. Between that and dealing with bulls*** drama that comes with being a guild leader, I think I've become a far more mean person than I used to be. Makes me sad... I want to be nice and help people, but I've often found myself in that "omg wut a nub" mindset more often then I would have liked to, even though I used to use a sword in my mainhand and a firestone in my offhand as a warlock and try to melee things once too(leveling my first toon to 60, lol).
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Being a good tank gives you the awareness of a jungle cat. Normally I can see or predict things that will kill my DPSers. If they die to it, yeah I let em know. Twins for instance, we have soakers in resist gear help on some portions of the arena floor. Myself and the other tank soak the off color orbs that come behind us. Every now and then an orb gets through a soaker and the DPS don't move and get hit. I see it coming but they don't bc they're mashing buttons.

Does that make me mean to give em shit on vent? I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Atalon View Post
    I want fast pulls cause m y disc priest can keep up. I found the best way to make the tank move faster is to start pulling. (Holy fire ftw). Granted I do not this if they say afk or brb)
    w

I would let you die the first time, the second time I'd boot you from the group and get a real healer that knows their place in a group.

Yes, tanking encouraged me to not tolerate bullcrap a long time ago. My groups are clean, fast and nobody dies. When somebody joins the group that upsets that it's my job to correct the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalken View Post
    "I'll let the dragon hit me in the face, you stab it in the ass."

I think when people who aren't the tank are pulling, sometimes it's just pissy people who want to go faster, but often it's just a person who doesn't know how it works. I've met a few people who have levelled all the way to 80 by soloing, especially hunters. This tends to mean that they really just don't understand group dynamics, and probably won't learn until you let them die a few times and explain it to them.

I don't know if it has made me mean per se, but I know for a fact that it has been testing my patience.

I'm starting to pull things fast now, from the used routine of taking things slow and steady (I geared this toon from tanking and tanked heroics as soon as I hit 80). However, it's starting to piss me off how dpsers are starting to pull from me and starting to give me a headache.

Pulling things fast is not a big problem for me, but I have run with undergeared healers before, and so I force myself to go more slowly when I have to use last stand and shield wall on trash.

On the other hand, I once saw a very overgeared shamman healing for HoS. I tried my best to make him go OOM (within my limit, which is if I'm dropping 3/4 health or more I'll slow down), but at the end the most I could do is half of his mana.

+ Reply to Thread