Closed Thread
Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Comprehensive Guide to Death Knight Tanking

You could even go so far as to look at the glyphed DnD two-piece T10 gear, with a single-target rotation including DnD (even though it'd suck for every fight with mobility outside the DnD area). Probably not a good tanking concept for the overview book though.
    The DK tank site: pwnwear.com.

The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

Satorri, you mentioned you use GoD. Which glyph (presumably either Rune Strike or Death Strike) do you forgo for it?

EDIT: Nvm just found your armory and saw that you replaced Glyph of Rune Strike with GoD. Thanks anyway!

I never kept Glyph of RS. I tested it against DS, DS gave me better returns. Disease has been a staple since its inception. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Satorri View Post
    I'd link to that discussion then. It's pretty solid. Satorri-Solid.

I saw it somewhere but I have no clue where. What's the damage reduction via resistance?

Basically.. a 3 stack of Acclimation.. just how useful is it?

Also, what are some good strong fights for it?

I couldn't find it on tankspot, but there are two recent threads on dk.info about it: 1 and 2.

I have a simple question: What is the best spec for tanking in ICC25 ? at the moment im blood speced, but to be honest i dont like it very much ... would itbe possible to tank as unholy in ICC25 ?

Damage reduction from Resistance is a little hinky and it's 2-featured with mitigation (think armor vs spells) and partial resists. The long and the short of it is that Acclimation is a major survival value against consistent spell damage. It is not wasted on more sporadic spell damage, but it *really* shines when you're taking regular damage, even from multiple sources.

exxistenz, there is no *best* that transcends the player. The good question is which will be best for you and that is something you'll have to figure out for yourself through trial and error if you're so inclined.

Unholy can certainly tank ICC, though the Chill of the Thrown debuff will actually affect your primary defensive cooldown (Bone Shield). It is not a game breaker, but it is enough for many tanks to not want to in favor of the unaffected CDs of Blood and Frost.

To toss in my two cents about Acclimation, it's one of those talents (not unlike AMZ or Rune Tap) that when it has a chance to get used to its fullest potential it's worth every talent point you put in it.

A couple of great examples of fights where Acclimation is noticed is Twins, Koralon, add tank for Emalon, and Lady Deathwhisper. I'd have to check to see if it's as good as I think it is on Fester and Rot. Some mechanics are sort of odd in that they will proc Acclimation, where other similar mechanics won't. If it does work on Fester it'd help ease incoming constant damage from Gaseous Blight.

Personally I enjoy the roll of being "the pinch hitter" tank for odd situations, and am always willing to respec for such an occasion.

I have 1 point to put somewhere in my spec.

Do you think 10% proc rate on Acclimation is still worth taking it?

It may be, if you're looking for improving you survival particularly against spells. But it would be more helpful to see the rest of your tree to make that call.

(and Lillith, I'd wager it's pretty unnecessary/mildly helpful on Festergut, but for the off-tank on Rotface it *may* not be bad, especially while learning).

So I was told that if your a DK tank in a progression guild you need to be Blood and nothing else. This seems highly prejudiced against Frost and Unholy to me. Now granted I have never tanked Unholy before so not sure how it really is. BUT I am DW Frost Tanking, and it seems not only viable but really well suited for progression raids.

Thoughts? Or anyone have examples of DW Frosties Tanking for Progression guilds?

People who say you need to be blood and nothing else are the same types that say Arcane, Mut, Survival, Destro, etc. are the only way to go. They're talking about spreadsheets and math. In practice it's a very different creature.

DW frost has a few things going for it that blood cannot contend with. First is snap aoe aggro. This is endlessly helpful for not only trash, which as much as we may all not want to admit to it, can wipe a raid much like a boss can. And it's great for things like Deathwhisper and Gunship (if you're defending your boat). As well, the frost CD "Unbreakable Armor" along with the longer IBF makes frost tanks a tad more solid when it comes to taking less damaging hits.

The argument for blood often comes from the two-dimensional philosophy that more health = better tank. It's an outdated ideology that should be discarded.

If you can also manage to build a solid tank set with two slow 1 handers, instead of the standard two fast tanking weapons, then you'll also be a beast when it comes to rune strike damage/threat.

All in all, is blood the ONLY choice, no it isn't. While it may make people feel more at ease to see a tank with 40k unbuffed as opposed to 37k unbuffed, if all of the other factors that make frost worth playing are taken into consideration it should be a non-issue.

The only spec that really suffers this patch is Unholy because of the avoidance-dependent Bone Shied. This doesn't make Unholy impossible to play, but it does mean you gotta think a bit different than a blood tank.

Absolutely magnificent detail in your guide Satorri! Bravo!

Quote Originally Posted by Sennex View Post
    So I was told that if your a DK tank in a progression guild you need to be Blood and nothing else.
    Because I am rather frequently involved in DK tanking online and in the forum communities, I've been keeping track for the last year and a half:

1.) Popular opinions on DK specs, particularly for tanking.

2.) What specs people I speak to are *actually* using.

Be sure, popular opinion only sways what specs are actually being used so much, and it NEVER dictates its efficacy.

There were Blood tanks before Blood was patched up to be as pleasant as it is now. They did fine, they just had to work a little harder. I was one of the first *vocal* DK tanks to make the move to Blood when they did patch it, and it took time for people to decide that Blood was SUPER powerful for tanking.

For a long time it was firmly believed that Frost was *the* only DK tank tree. It was also believed that dual wield tanking would mean you would insta-explode in a fiery blaze of dumb (via parry-haste). The thing that makes me chuckle there is that now there are talents to support dual wield threat, but not only did they *not* reduce parry liability, they increased it (FS no longer immune to parry).

To answer your question more directly, Frost is a tank powerhouse, and currently there are many high-end tanks who are quite comfortably tanking their way through ICC.

Blood is strong, but no stronger in ICC, and if anything the shift is starting to move away from obsessive health stacking and to more damage saving values (thank you delicious bonus armor on gear).

Unholy works just fine in ICC, but the major issue is that Chill of the Thrown has a slight reducing effect on the uptime of Bone Shield. Generally speaking, Bone Shield always soaks roughly the same amount and increasing the uptime comes with additional damage savings from the avoidance itself, but there is an effect in helping the chance stacking of damage sources (against which it is quite strong). When in doubt though, players usually prefer predictable passive results to chance-based or questionable (rightly or misplaced) methods.

I have noticed a few of the high-end raiding guild DK tanks are switching from Blood to Frost tanking. It seems they are still prefering using a 2H'er over DW though. In this guide, it rates them as being equal. Has there been any changes in thought to 2H vs DW, specifially when talking about ICC content.

I am guessing with ICC glyph of Death Strike pulls even further ahead of Rune strike.

Great info Satorri. I don't have as much time to spend research stuff for my dk alt and having a source like this is appreciated.

Even if you are a space goat. ;p

Heilig, honestly, there's nothing wrong with using a 2-hander, but it's hard for it to keep up with a dual wield setup threat-wise. You gain very little survival value for using the 2-hander as well.

The reason you may see some of these new switchers using 2-handers is for lack of 1-handed weapons in their arsenal. They may never have imagined a dual wield set and as such had nothing lying around to use at the same level as their 2-hander.

And Predakhan, it's sticky. RS also got a threat buff. It has slipped a bit down the list though for total threat for me. And don't hate the spacegoats, LOVE the spacegoats!

Small nitpick, I was looking through the Runeforges section (and wanting to brush up on thoughts of Stoneskin Gargoyle vs Swordshattering) and I noticed you had Fallen Crusader as 2h only. It is definately both 1h and 2h.

Closed Thread