Closed Thread
Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32

Thread: Comprehensive Guide to Death Knight Tanking

OK, another question then (I think it suits this topic), not related to EHP. I was comparing some DKs armories and I have impression that US armory includes Frost Presence buff while EU armory doesn't. For example my armory shows 22k armor (while I have almost 36k in frost pres), so it looks like it is shown before Frost Presence.

Now, if you take a look at Jol's armory linked few posts above, he has 30k of armor (and he has comparable gear to mine). 30k seems a little low in this gear, so I'm not sure if it counts Frost Presence there or it's totally screwed.

It is possible that EU and US armories are different versions, but maybe somebody heard something about this?

quick glance is confirming that is correct. US armory didn't used to take that stuff into account, but it has recently, just looking at a few geared EU dks it is definitely not counting FP (Lower health than should be, and WAY lower armor more notably).

Quote Originally Posted by TheYanger View Post
    It genuinely bothers me that we have a DK representative who is so out of touch with the reality of what is best for a DK tank. You can tell people definitively what they SHOULD do, if they ask for it, without coming accross as a prick, I assure you. (And before someone says it, I know *I* come accross as a prick, but I'm not Satorri and people don't ask me for advice).
    Well it is good, then, that you are here to educate me and the other readers with your superior understanding of how the game works and what is valuable.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

well it boils down to 2 things i believe

RNG and your attitude to responding to people.

Sattori is a nice guy and all who in the end tells you the pros and cons of your choices.

RNG on the other hand, gives different people different experiences.

I have died in 0.1secs on LK to a melee immediately after a Soul Reaper (unfortunately out of cds by that time on my paly).
    For me its a one off thing and I just get the raid to res, rebuff and try again.

But say for a luckier guy, who tends to (rather consistently) dodge such near death experiences, then he might favour dodge (avoidance rather) as much or even slightly more than health.

At the end of the day, w/e enchants you used for shoulder and gloves, it should be your choice based on what you believe (or experience). Why? will the additional 480hp have saved me from that melee hit? will the X dodge or Y parry save me from it instead?
    of course if you dont enchant either... lets just say it reflects very poorly on your effort

Myself, I have made my DK more of 'anti-magic' tank. Have tanked LK with ease. Only H Fester seems a little dangerous at times. Or H Saurfang if the beast actually reaches me and he has frenzy. Armour pots are the love.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...n=Hornsofuther

your tps could be low due to the lack of RP (less RS, weaker DS).
    1 point in Scent of blood will help that alot.

I love Hysteria. You can 1) buff a dps or 2) buff yourself for harder hits for more threat.

I find even with a 30s cd for DnD, i have it up everytime LK summons ghouls. with DnD Glyph and T10 2set bonus, it is usually sufficient tps on the ghouls. Not to mention, at most only 1 or 2 dps should AOE a little every now and then. as the higher dps on the boss, the faster the phase change.
    Also, a nice thing to note that if you start with DnD, your threat is generally better (assuming you dont have 4 or more Death Runes before pull). So DnD Glyph is hardly useless.

Due to Glyph of disease, i dont really like to have epidemic.

I would rather have Glyph of Raise Dead than Death's Embrace. 1) we rarely use DC at all, much less heal and 2) I am a cheap person who does not like to buy (or even have the bag space usually) reagents. Heard that corpse dust reagent requirement was getting removed in Cata tho.

I dont know your hit rating (since you had dps gear on when i checked) but i like Virulence to help IT, Pest, DnD etc to hit. I am not the luckiest player.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyeofskadi View Post
    For me its a one off thing and I just get the raid to res, rebuff and try again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyeofskadi View Post
    At the end of the day, w/e enchants you used for shoulder and gloves, it should be your choice based on what you believe (or experience).
    After being in 2 big guilds I can't agree on this It's not only you playing this game, there's another 9 (or 24) people in raid with you. They all want to have fun, kill bosses and they all pay real money for this. That's why I always try to make optimal choices based on trusted sources (like thread about EHP on this forum).

If you're farming raids then it's all fine, gear/chant/gem for whatever you want. But when wipes are involved (and I mean many hours / days of wiping on the same progression boss) it's better to trust others (that already passed through this) than yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by coe View Post
    It's not only you playing this game, there's another 9 (or 24) people in raid with you.
    That is the only reasonable point you made. When you trust others, it is your choice to trust them (unless you are a sheep).

Most of the times what top guilds do is:
    1) make sure all raid members are good or the best
    2) perform up to expectation (no or little mistakes)
    3) accept RNG and go at it again
    4) Rethink tactics to reduce RNG
    5) Keep at it (performance must not drop)

Biggest difference between pugs and a top guild run? 1), 2) and 5).

Wowzers. Ive been looking for guides for ages about DK tanking specifics.
    I could NEVER have imagined anything as comprehensive as this.
    You are wildness Personified!!!
    i am now 10x more knowledgeble than before and all the happier for it. thanks dude!

Hey guys, maybe not the best place for this, but in large part because of this guide, I was able to down the Lich King in 10 man mode with our guild last night with what was our first LK kill. I will note that this is not the same guild I was with when I made my last comment. Satorri, I understand that you are out of touch, ...... but this guide is high quality and I appreciate everything you have done for me, as well as the others who took the time to comment and it really means a lot to me. I am positive that without this guide I would still be changing set ups and gear everytime another player in game started talking to me.
    I am looking forward to your CC guide and I'm sure it will be filled with the same type of helpful info, now with the LK behind me I can work on leveling some of my other alt's. We are going to start focusing on HM's now and I will be very glad to help others get their titles, I feel obligated for that. I still have tons of learning to do, especially in the form of keyboard vs. mouse play stlye, but I am working on that in my 5 man H runs. Sometimes bad habits are very hard to drop.

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by Satorri View Post
    it is never advisable to use the Def/Dodge enchant. .
    For current content it most certainly is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Michultradk View Post
    I would still be changing set ups and gear everytime another player in game started talking to me.
    I am looking forward to your CC guide and I'm sure it will be filled with the same type of helpful info, now with the LK behind me I can work on leveling some of my other alt's. We are going to start focusing on HM's now and I will be very glad to help others get their titles, I feel obligated for that. I still have tons of learning to do, especially in the form of keyboard vs. mouse play stlye, but I am working on that in my 5 man H runs. Sometimes bad habits are very hard to drop.
    Thanks guys
    Well, Grats on your successful application to Club Kingslayer.
    I guess the best advice i could give you would be to be more confident in yourself? and keep your ears and mind open but do evaluate what you hear (the mushy grey thing between your ears were made for this) =p

GL with the HMs hehe Marrowgar is pretty tough on healers (even more so on a clothie raid) so i suggest you to not keep wiping to him hehe
    Frankly, with the 30% iCC buff, Rotface might be a little tough on the kiting tank if he's been lazy (like me), Putricide (with gear the disease is healable somewhat, not panicking is the most impt thing i guess), Dreamwalker (I believe you still need 4 healers for this?), Sindy (gosh i would like a crack at her rofl) and LK (him too >.<) are the only tough nuts left to crack.

Morale/alertness of the raid is impt too hehe.

WOT Crits you for 9999999 damage.
    You die.
    Your equipment suffer 10% durability loss.

unstuck, fare thee well guide of awesomeness.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    unstuck, fare thee well guide of awesomeness.
    Woot!

(Link will stay in my sig for as long as the guide floats off into the great blue. =)
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

Well... with the 2.0 threat multiplier, i doubt tps should be an issue now (maybe for aoe packs and some twit dps just had to blow cds on one of the more dangerous mobs that's like a needle in the haystack).

As for avoidance vs sta stacking, i'll prolly NOT sta stack anymore (unless i get a 2nd set meant totally for magic haha, it does wonders vs H prince, sindy and LK and helps noticably for H bql). Yea no H sindy or H LK before my uni semester started >.<

Thread closed to prevent bumpage. Use the new sticky!

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Closed Thread