+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tanking Chest Enchant: +Def or +Health?

Tanking Chest Enchant: +Def or +Health?

With +T9 gear across all my slots now I am WAY over the crit immune level by a mile, sitting at 577 def in my avoidance set and 555 in my max health set. So I'm trying to figure out if switching some +def enchants like the +22 def to chest should be swapped for the +275 health? Same could go for the +20 def to shield vs +18 stam. What's the current prevailing theory craft say about this?

Depends on the content your tanking, but if your not struggling to meet 540 then get some more health.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

The defense enchants are better budgeted, but it really depends on what you want. 20 defense rating is equivalent to 30 stamina in item budget, so in that sense, you're leaving a lot of wasted item budget on the table when you take the stamina/health enchant over the defense one. On the other hand, I generally tend to prefer the health chest enchant because I prefer EH over avoidance most of the time.

In other words, while the defense enchants are technically "better" from an ilvl point of view, most people seem to take the HP enchants because Effective health tends to be the big thing these days.

It's the same issue as the shield enchant, where you can choose between 18 stamina or 20 defense. Again the defense enchant is better budgeted (in this case because it's from WotLK instead of TBC), but the stamina one is preferred by many.

However, if you want some of each, then you should get defense on shield and health on chest, since the chest enchant slot gives you more defense per health than the shield enchant (even after stamina modifiers and BoK).

Would it be better for a DK tank to get the +10 to Stats enchant instead of health or defense if they are over the defense cap?
    Since we get some dodge, armor, parry, health, and threat from all of those stats?

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    Would it be better for a DK tank to get the +10 to Stats enchant instead of health or defense if they are over the defense cap?
    Since we get some dodge, armor, parry, health, and threat from all of those stats?
    You're only gaining that at a los of about 160 hit points though. And it is very small amount of armor/crit/dodge from 10 agi.

275 HP imo. But ICC hardmodes might call for more avoidance, if so then I'll change my answer, but for now 275HP.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Now that I look at this threat, are shield spikes useful at all then?

No. Titanium Plating is though.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

In my opinion, once you start beating against the diminishing returns wall of defense going for 275 HP on your chest is a perfectly viable choice.

On the shield though I would either keep defense or personally I've gone with block rating. Now I know, block isn't popular and the enchant is from BC days, but with ICC dropping dodge, upping block rating isn't a bad thing.

Dodge is just as valuable today as it was prior to Chill of the throne.

I use +10 stats, even tho 275 hp is more hp. I can't even explain why i do it... just a gut feeling that 10 to all is worth more then 275; and I go with my gut, even if my head says I'm wrong in this case. Probably because 10 to all is affected by kings, where straight hp is not. It's also a minor ap boost in addition to the agility benefits mentioned above.

I'm surprised, the Czar of Stamina not advocating stamina on a shield! /gasp!
    TBH I use plating as well, tho I've heard tell it's not as much eh as stam (duh) and the spike does more threat.

Be a Champion, not a hero.
    Drae

http://www.zetbit.com/sig-1454507.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by drae View Post
    Dodge is just as valuable today as it was prior to Chill of the throne.

I use +10 stats, even tho 275 hp is more hp. I can't even explain why i do it... just a gut feeling that 10 to all is worth more then 275; and I go with my gut, even if my head says I'm wrong in this case. Probably because 10 to all is affected by kings, where straight hp is not. It's also a minor ap boost in addition to the agility benefits mentioned above.

I'm surprised, the Czar of Stamina not advocating stamina on a shield! /gasp!
    TBH I use plating as well, tho I've heard tell it's not as much eh as stam (duh) and the spike does more threat.
    Actually I do advocate stamina on shield. People crapped all over me for that one, but it's still what I'm gonna enchant.

Also 10 stats scaling with kings = 1 more stat. And there's only 2 stats you really use, stam and agi. So you're gaining 11 agi at the loss of 161 HPs... next to insignificant agi gain IMO, there was a post where a bunch of people ran the exact numbers, 275 HP wins here vs. 10 stats.

And don't feel bad, warlocks use 15 spirit over 10 stats, it's kinda sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Belakor View Post
    with ICC dropping dodge, upping block rating isn't a bad thing.
    It's as bad as it was a month ago. Icewell radiance doesn't change that; if anything, it makes it that much harder to get unhittable and thus makes block less valuable.

+ Reply to Thread