+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Block Value and ICC

Choice for Trinkets

Hi, my first post here.
    I loved the way block value itemization changed, so I tried to use it the best way I could for TOC, but now in ICC there is no single piece with Block Value.
    I currently have 2400 Block Value, 36600 HP, 20% block rating, 42% avoidance, 24800 armor Unbuffed.
    I know my avoidance and armor are kinda low, the problem is mostly me because i love the block mechanic, so Im really lost atm for ICC.
    Im also an Orc Warrior with expertise problems, so im kinda stuck with Last Laugh.
    This is my armory link:
    The World of Warcraft Armory

I love my tank but atm my guild really needs heals so Im the main Shaman resto. So keep in mind that my warrior is for heroics-10mans and probably 25man if needed.

Should I change my entire block gear to full avoidance gear? Or try to add some armor to my block gear?
    Or what do you suggest?
    Thank you for reading, and sorry but english is not my main lenguage.

/edit:
    Well I made some changes.
    My new stats:
    HP 38000
    Armor 25700
    Avoidance 45.3%
    Block Value 1800

Im trying a new spec without Shield Spec, with 3/3 Deep Wounds and 2/2 Imp. Disciplines.

My link:

Now the real question is the trinket, currently I have:

Should I buy
    to gain some more EH?
    If So, wich of the trinkets should I change for ICC?
    Last edited by WaRCh1eF; 12-15-2009 at 03:58 PM.

I wouldn't worry about block rating or block value for your MT or regular set. Block rating is kind of useless there, and block value is basically a threat stat. I would shelf the block neck and ring for that set. If block value is on your gear, treat it like you would hit or expertise IMO. (not terribly familiar with warrior itemization but I assume it's at least similar to paladin, maybe more of an emphasis on expertise)

Whip out the block set anytime you're tanking adds though, like on Anub adds or Lady Deathwhisper (or whatever her name is. Marrowgar? I forget).

I just looked at your armor, and from your gems I can see you're having threat problems. Maybe you should get Accuracy to your weapon, and then swap out a few hit gems for stamina? The crit should be especially nice since you're specced into Deep Wounds. Blood Draining is pretty weak anyways (well, all the tank weapon enchants are, but Accuracy is the best for threat).

Speaking of your spec, it seems weird (2/3 Deep Wounds? Iron Will over Imp Heroic Strike? I also don't see much point in getting the Shield Wall glyph without Imp Disciplines) but I'm not enough of an expert on prot warriors to really have any say here.

Threat is the least of my problems. Shield slam crits like 11-12k with shield block active and thats the main threat skill, i dont even have AOE threat problems. I stopped having threat issues since the changes in block value.

I dont see the point in Imp Heroic Strike if I have the Revenge Glyph + Revenge+Heroic macro, and I dont mind for 1 min Shield Wall cooldown, but 2 mins for the gyph do make the difference. Deep wounds is 2 since i dont have threat problems.

Last stand glyph inst that critical in my opinion.

I use blood draining for survability mostly, i tested both this and Blade Ward and I found that the first was better suited.
    Last edited by WaRCh1eF; 12-13-2009 at 02:41 AM.

If threat is the least of your problems, why are you gemming so much hit and expertise then? Swap it out for stamina asap then.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it - if your threat is fine, why gem for threat and not survivability?

Exactly, I dont have threat problems because I always try to have the hit and expertise soft caps, the thing is, i dont have threat issues for 2 reasons, high block valua and hit and expertise capped, so thats why I dont know exactly what to do with the new gear.

I have been a Warrior tank for quite a while and I gave up on the block set. It is more important to dodge a big hit then block a small percentage of a big hit. Also, If your a Warrior with 26 expertise you should not have to worry about hit gear. Expertise is very important to maintain but I rarely worry about hit rating. I have researcehd alot of the top warrior tanks and it seems to be a pattern (good expertise, low hit). You should have more than enough Hit naturally from gear. If i have a choice on similar items with mitigation or hit I usually take the first.

Quote Originally Posted by Vestal View Post
    I have researcehd alot of the top warrior tanks and it seems to be a pattern (good expertise, low hit).
    This could have something to do with the ToGC 25man tank plate being itemized for expertise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

The thing is that Im expertise capped thanks to Last Laugh and the orc racial. So Im stuck with a "low" weapon atm. There are only 2 Tanking Axes better than that, one is 232 from the 5 man heroic and the other is from Lich King in hard mode... lol
    IŽll try lowering hit and focusing more on EH then. What number should be fine for Block Value?

The point here Warch1ef is that people are surprised to see these talent/glyph combinations.

Things work better when used in unison with things which relate to them.

Your choices work fine for you. Though if you are going to dismiss the answers which are given to you, simply because they don't fit the play style which you use, then you should not come looking for answers.

You don't need to gem hit/expertise in the current gear to, "not have threat problems."

I'm rocking a very small amount of hit atm. Something like 90, and I'm at like 28 expertise without a single expertise gem, nor any gear I can trade out for anything with less expertise.

With the last stand/shield wall glyphs. In your opinion they are not that "crucial." That's fine in your opinion. If you do not want advice, do not ask questions which may lead to questions being asked about your choices which lead to the questions that are you asking.

-Trade your hit gems for Stamina gems unless there is a +9 stamina bonus.
    -Screw the block value gear once you step into a 10man.
    -Do what you can to get imp heroic strike, imp disciplines, deep wounds 3/3.
    -Avoidance gear is alright, based on the type of stuff in 10man, you will want a mix of avoidance and effective health depending on the encounter.

Hey dont get me wrong. I dont dislike advices, I just defend the way I was playing until now. I came here looking for answers for a new way to go.
    I said that Last Stand glyph isnt crucial in my opinion, Shield Wall indeed is. (You can check in the armory that I do have Shield Wall Glyph equipped.)
    I like to discuss things because I love to hear good arguments for the advices. I know Im no expert, I just know that I always tried to get to know my character in my own way. But based on what other people has to say of course.

Well I made some changes.
    My new stats:
    HP 38000
    Armor 25700
    Avoidance 45.3%
    Block Value 1800

Im trying a new spec without Shield Spec, with 3/3 Deep Wounds and 2/2 Imp. Disciplines.

My link:

Now the real question is the trinket, currently I have:

Should I buy
    to gain some more EH?
    If So, wich of the trinkets should I change for ICC?

Don't get rid of shield spec completely.

Drop 3/3 iron will, it won't do you much good in raids, Imp. H. Strike is more good. Also, trade the 2/2 Imp. bloodrage for sheild spec. You definitely want some shield spec as it assists with rage generation these days. I'd rather have 4/5 shield spec than imp disc. unless I know I need cooldowns regularly.

Trinks look okay..you might want to venture into ToC and try to get the stam trinket there or the triumph badge trinket which would be tad better than the yogg10 trink on physical fights like marrowgar.

I want to see if I have aggro problems without that talent.
    Thx, Ill try to change it with Yoggs. I was hesitating because in ICC Parry is stronger than parry, but the Ignis 25 trinket procs for more %, so Ill stick with that.
    I dont spam heroicstrike all the time, I just spam it after Revenge, I have the Revenge glyph.
    Kinda weird I know but If I find myself in the need to a shorter cooldown on Last Stand Ill change the glyphs

Quote Originally Posted by WaRCh1eF View Post
    I dont spam heroicstrike all the time, I just spam it after Revenge, I have the Revenge glyph.
    If you have aggro problems with this build, you might want to make sure that you ARE "spamming" heroic strike when you're above 50 rage. Use it as a gas pedal, and let off when you're at or below 50. I'm sure you know this already, but just making sure. I've seen too many tanks not even USE heroic strike.... ever.

Yes I do, if I have more than 60 and revenge is on cooldown i tend to use it too.

Finally I have the Glyph of Indomability, I think the best trinket combo with Ulduar trinkets is with Ignis trinket, right? It gives 12% dodge total when procced and diminished

+ Reply to Thread