+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Damage Contribution from Thunderfury?

Damage Contribution from Thunderfury?

Has anyone done the math to figure out the damage contributions from thunderfury on a raid boss?

i use it on some soft hitting bosses for rage .. every time it procs it does about 400-500 dmg .. and it procs a fair amount

well, im not referring to the damage the proc does, im talking about the lowered resistance. iirc bosses have a base 15 resist all across the board? thats probably wrong.

we were attempting saurfang tonight, and we were constantly wiping. i used tf on the attempt we killed him, and we got him to 19% before the first mark even landed. our group is like mostly 232 toc 10 gear. the makeup was:

Enhance shaman
    ele shaman
    2 survival hunters
    moonkin
    blood dk tank
    prot pally tank
    destro lock
    holy pally
    resto druid

just kind of curious, ill post logs when i get them up.

Well first I'd like to clarify that Thunderfury proc blasted for about 300 unbuffed, and I noticed that on level 80 mobs it only hits for 285 anymore. I don't know what this damage scales up to in a raid environment though, being that when I used it in 25mans it was just to screw around and I never really paid attention to the damage, but I'm hesitant to believe that it could get as high as 400-500. It still does proc all the time however, which means that perhaps it would be worth the calculation to see just how much DPS it contributes. The argument against it, however, would be that you would lose a significant amount of damage from Deep Wounds, which deals 48% of your weapon's average damage, which would be significantly hampered while wielding a TF due to it's low, level-60 damage values.
    Last edited by Tankaran; 12-14-2009 at 12:45 PM.

ya, i still dont think you guys are getting it ;P

i could care less about the damage the proc itself does, im more concerned with the lowered resistance it provides.

I haven't checked, but a good way to test if there is a difference at all would be to see if it stacks with curse of elements on a character's resistances. You could test that by going to a world arena, getting a lock to put up CoE and then swing away until you get the proc. Then if they notice a difference in resistance with just CoE vs. CoE and TF.

From there it would be mostly resistance math, something I'm not familiar with.

Quote Originally Posted by Tats View Post
    ya, i still dont think you guys are getting it ;P

i could care less about the damage the proc itself does, im more concerned with the lowered resistance it provides.
    Well in that case, I don't think it would have any contribution? I haven't played a spell caster DPS ever, but I know back in BC my friends told me the spell pen on mage T4 was 100% useless because no matter what you could not reduce a boss' resistance to any school of magic by any amount. Does that still stand?

ya, thats kind of what im curious about, myself

Yeah, no current boss is known to have a non-zero spell resist. That doesn't mean it hasn't happened or will never happen again; Supremus had a noticeable amount of fire resistance back in BT, and there was a rumor at one point that Kel'thuzad had some frost resist too. For the time being, however, reducing the spell resist on a boss shouldn't do anything.

The 5 per level (ie 15) resistance bonus that bosses get is not reducable by anything sadly. I remember this from back when there was a discussion over having 15 spell pen as a caster to negate the handful of partials resists you can get.
    Xíanth <Valkyria>

Thats what I thought, but i wasnt sure. Now I just need to figure out how our raid gained 400dps everytime I used tf ;P

Quote Originally Posted by Xianth View Post
    The 5 per level (ie 15) resistance bonus that bosses get is not reducable by anything sadly. I remember this from back when there was a discussion over having 15 spell pen as a caster to negate the handful of partials resists you can get.
    As I recall this was a while ago and bosses no longer have any damage done to them or done by them modified by resistances or damage modifiers (like dampen magic and amplify magic). This is why no one has any spell pen because the only resist checks against bosses are level based (aka against a level 83 boss you need 17% spell hit).

There are no partial resists as far as I am aware, therefore thunderfury doesn't contribute to raid dps at all.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

+ Reply to Thread