+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tank getting ready for weekly raid quests

Tank getting ready for weekly raid quests

Up until recently, my raid tanking experience has been mostly off-tanking for Vault. Now come the weekly raid quests. I figured now would be a good time to seek some advice. Here's my armory to start with.

The World of Warcraft Armory#

Chances are, I'll be running solely 10 man raids, though if I find my computer is up to the task (after that new graphics fix), I may attempt 25s. I'm looking to create a single all-purpose tanking set (I already keep holy and ret sets, my bank is full enough as it is). My first question is with my current gear, what am I ready for?

As you can see, my gear is mostly from emblems. My most recent upgrade was from the Red Sword of Courage to Peacekeeper Blade. After the change, I'm no longer at the melee hit cap, but it did bring up my expertise, which is still probably low. With the correct seal up, my expertise is currently 22. How bad are my hit and expertise levels affecting my threat? Also, what would a good weapon enchantment be?

The new sword was an improvement, but it's still probably on the weak side I'm guessing, as are my shield and trinkets. I have absolutely no clue what I should be working towards on trinkets. Any suggestions for these slots would be greatly appreciated.

That's all the questions I can think of for now. Any feedback would be helpful.

One or both of your trinkets should have some form of emergency use or a static ability that can proc. An example would be "The Black Heart" and "Fervor of the Frostborn". They both have abilities that can raise the mitigation of physical damage by about 10-20% give or take.

Plus the thing with Stamina stacking is good. But the Brewfest trinket should be replaced ASAP with something better. Better to stack stamina in your armor pieces if anything and not your trinkets where emergency and static mitigation is needed.

Threat as a pally shouldn't be too much of a problem as expertise just stops parries from occuring with white hits. The misses can be a problem if you have a low hit chance increase (anything below 3% and I'd be worried). Being hit capped is great but only in terms of threat generation. Your main job however is to survive and keep the hits focused on you.

If you're worried about generation, upgrade your shield and learn to love Shield of Righteousness. It is one of the most effective threat builders for a paladin. Anything that improves shield block amount is a bonus for threat for you.

Spec wise, you're all over the place. In the Holy tree, keep the 5 points in Seals of the Pure and remove Divine Intellect. Learn to love Divine Plea and trust your healer in keeping your mana generated.
    Remove Divinity from the Prot Tree and finish Toughness and Ardent Defender. They make up your survival skills and more armor means less damage for you. Ardent Defender gives more buffer for healers to react. 30% is more than 20%.
    Benediction is okay, but raid would benefit more from Heart of the Crusader. Increase in Crit chance means more raid DPS overall.

Glyphs are a nice choice. If you find that AOE tanking is lacking, Hammer of the Righteous would benefit you more than Righteous Defence.

Hope this helps you out plenty.
    Healing is the source of life. Without it, you're left with death.

Your current trinkets are fine. Personally I would replace the Brewfest trinket for the Black Heart, but I can see going the other way around for more Stamina.

Your spec, as the previous poster hinter, is bad. Lose ALL the points in the holy tree, as Crusade > Seals of the Pure in ToC and ICC. Spec 53/18 with Vindication and Pursuit of Justice. Remember that Benediction is a bad talent, you should never have more than 1 point in it.

This is the spec I'm talking about.

Paladin tanks can get away with very little hit and expertise because of class mechanics and just how OP our current threat generally is. 26 expertise is a nice aim, but 22 is OK (personally I only have 20, and have noticed no threat problems). Hit also, it's nice to have the cap, but not required. I would focus more on survival stats (mostly health and armor).

Yeah, especially after the divine plea glyph, mana isn't quite the problem it used to be. I'll try ditching the mana talents. Is Divinity really bad though? A talent to increase the heals you receive?

I'll have to look up those trinkets later. Preparing for the new fishing competition at the moment. I've heard someone give the opinion in the past that relying on a trinket for defense was also bad. I believe that trinket used to have a second thick dragon's eye in it before I managed to get my defense high enough. My defense is not quite enough to remove it yet.

Any of the emblem trinkets good? Finding a better shield is going to be a lot tougher as there aren't a lot of good choices I've noticed with emblems, so unless the new dungeons drop something, I'll have to rely on raids.

And it's probably a good thing the expertise is likely not a problem. Because it took another hit. Found a second sword upgrade the same night. Down to 19 again.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucen View Post
    Yeah, especially after the divine plea glyph, mana isn't quite the problem it used to be. I'll try ditching the mana talents. Is Divinity really bad though? A talent to increase the heals you receive?

I'll have to look up those trinkets later. Preparing for the new fishing competition at the moment. I've heard someone give the opinion in the past that relying on a trinket for defense was also bad. I believe that trinket used to have a second thick dragon's eye in it before I managed to get my defense high enough. My defense is not quite enough to remove it yet.

Any of the emblem trinkets good? Finding a better shield is going to be a lot tougher as there aren't a lot of good choices I've noticed with emblems, so unless the new dungeons drop something, I'll have to rely on raids.

And it's probably a good thing the expertise is likely not a problem. Because it took another hit. Found a second sword upgrade the same night. Down to 19 again.
    1% healing is not worth the talent point. Most of the time it only contributes to overheals, and even in those rare situations when it contributes to effective healing, 5% total is not a hell of a lot (especially considering you already get 6% increased healing from Improved Devotion Aura).

Glyph of Indomitability is nice in many situations. I personally use it most of the time, switching it out for a Brewfest trinket for primarily magic fights. The on-use is nothing to overlook either, 512 dodge is quite a bit (especially since Paladin tanks only have one defensive cooldown since the LoH nerf).

The new emblem of frost trinket is awesome. Well, the on-use is crap (3200 damage every 2 minutes? really, blizzard, that's the best you could come up with?) but 228 stamina is MASSIVE. Every tank should get it as soon as possible, IMO.

I think when people say "relying on a trinket for defense is bad", they're talking about defense trinkets like Repelling Charge and the horrible, horrible Onyxia trinket that is only useful on a handful of fights. Nothing wrong with tossing a defense gem in a socket if you need to meet the minimum, and I don't see how that's any different for the sockets in your JC trinket.

In case you didn't notice, there's a nice new shield in regular Halls of Reflection. It's lvl 219, has a lot more armor and stamina than the one you have, unfortunately it has shield block rating (SBR is underwhelming for a raider) but it's still a nice upgrade for ya.

Divinity is a waste of points because most of the time is overheals.

A quick run through Trial of Crusader raids can net you a shield if you're lucky to kill Anub'arak. But if not that, then the 5-mans are your best bet.

Expertise and hit are not MANDATORY for a paladin tank but the more threat that can be generated, the more leeway for DPS that have early burst damage can do at the beginning.
    Healing is the source of life. Without it, you're left with death.

Talent fixing still on the agenda for now. I'll probably have to take a look at that for my other alts as well. It looks like Ulduar is the new weekly, though I forget which boss exactly. I assume my gear is good enough for that? I'll try to get a full run if I can, but if it's anything like the Anub'Rekhan daily, finding a full run may not be easy.

I haven't given HoR a shot yet. I would have skipped normal if I hadn't been told about the shield. Assuming I get the spec cleaned up, which raids should I be able to handle? Looks like the graphic fix is working great for raids, so I'll be considering 25 man raids after all. How much harder is it tanking for a 25 man raid? And this might be a dumb question, but if I get the opportunity to run this next Ulduar weekly in either 10 man or 25 man... does either drop any nice items that won't be easily replaced by spending emblems of triumph?

I tanked ToC 10 in gear similar to yours. Heck my pally's tank gear still isn't much better than yours. You'd probably do OK in 25 normal as well.

Tanking a 25 man is a bit more stressful because there's more to keep track of, but in general it's the same. If you can tank a 10 man (and your computer/internet don't lag you up in 25's), you can tank a 25.

As far as gear in Ulduar 10/25, it depends on what bosses you down, but even the easy bosses drop some pretty good loot.

+ Reply to Thread