+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spiritual Attunement question

Spiritual Attunement question

So I've been looking at alot of pally specs as of late and I've noticed alot of people only going 1/2 on Spiritual Attunement. Why is that?

Divine Plea + BoSanc covers the rest.

but why bother with it at all. why just one point?

Because it's just enough to make up for what DP + BoSanc cannot. 1 point is necessary and 2 points is too much.

Quote Originally Posted by jere View Post
    Divine Plea + BoSanc covers the rest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valhathos View Post
    but why bother with it at all. why just one point?
    Divine Plea + BoSanc give you the Rest! Not the full thing, it wont be enough on some fights .
    It's not so easy for heroics, having 1 point in SA I mean, noticing that big time in the new HCs. But it's very handy for raiding, as you have a huge amount of mana regen in those.
    The Ashbringer...

Quote Originally Posted by Daereg View Post
    Divine Plea + BoSanc give you the Rest! Not the full thing, it wont be enough on some fights .
    It's not so easy for heroics, having 1 point in SA I mean, noticing that big time in the new HCs. But it's very handy for raiding, as you have a huge amount of mana regen in those.
    It's fine for most heroics too since with 3+ targets Sanctuary really does cover on it's own.

This can largely be a matter of gear but there are a lot of people who do not understand why, they're just following directions of people who do.

Consider, the three sources of mana regen for a Protadin:

1.) Divine Plea with Guarded By the Light can have a 100% uptime, so long as you are hitting something. That ticks 5% of your total mana back every 3 seconds, indefinitely. This doesn't scale with gear (beyond mana, but your gear won't usually have intellect).

2.) Blessing of Sanctuary. Standard buff, worth having for its own sake. Every time you Block, Parry, or Dodge, you get 2% mana back. If you're tanking a single target (generally the least regen it can generate) and your Dodge+Parry+Block chance averages 90% (not unusual with Holy Shield), against a 2 sec swing timer, that averages about 2% mana every 2.22 seconds. This depends on your gear a bit, as new tanks with low avoidance will get less and well-geared tanks with higher avoidance will get more. Tanking multiple targets will cause this to become a better and better source of mana.

3.) Spiritual Attunement. 5/10% of the amount healed is restored to you as mana. If you are a new tank with lower avoidance, armor, etc, you will need more healing and get more mana per point. If you are a well-geared tank with higher avoidance, armor, etc you will require less healing and get a bit less mana. This also really scales with the content you're facing. A well-geared tank against content beneath their gear level will require still less healing.

So, the 1/2 in Spiritual Attunement is generally number-crunched assuming you have gear of an appropriate level for what you're tanking and have Divine Plea constantly in use.

If you're tanking content below your gear level you will get less from Spiritual Attunement and rely more on BoSanc.

If you're tanking progression content (above your gear level), you *could* get more out of Spiritual Attunement.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Daereg View Post
    Personally I am using SoW in heroics - helps a lot, since sometimes trashpacks are too far away from each other to upkeep Divine Plea. Utgarde Keep comes to mind... I really hate that place.

I've never had a problem keeping it on, particularly since I can roll it through a fight and it's back off cooldown before it falls off when pulls are too far apart.

I'd be too afraid to switch to Seal of Wisdom to solve my mana problems. More often, I will simply judge Wisdom. It's not an instant full-mana button, but it's something without sacrificing SoV/C threat.

On a side-but-not-totally-unrelated-not, heroic tanking on my Paladin is a blast. I challenge myself to get through the instance while having to cast Divine Plea as little as possible.

Mmm, that's true, Seal of Wisdom, Judgment of Wisdom, and Replenishment all work too (not mentioning Mana Tide Totem, Hymn of Hope, and Innervate).

I've always stuck with Vengeance for the tasty threat and Expertise. But then, I never really have had mana issues either.

Quote Originally Posted by Satorri View Post
    Mmm, that's true, Seal of Wisdom, Judgment of Wisdom, and Replenishment all work too (not mentioning Mana Tide Totem, Hymn of Hope, and Innervate).

I've always stuck with Vengeance for the tasty threat and Expertise. But then, I never really have had mana issues either.
    I would hate to have the Hymn of Hope target me for mana regen. I would rather it go to the DPS/Heals. Unfortunately, we can't control it.

I don't remember, I think it does prioritize for low mana, but I think there's a range filter too, and I'd hope an unwritten Absolute Max Mana check.

In heroics i never continue to do my rotation till the adds are all dead. All you need to do is get enough aggro to stay on top of the list. If you're going about it like a dps yes you will have mana problems. for the most part one consecrate will do it and the rest can be filled with hammer of righteous and an occasional judgement and shield slam.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfists View Post
    In heroics i never continue to do my rotation till the adds are all dead. All you need to do is get enough aggro to stay on top of the list. If you're going about it like a dps yes you will have mana problems. for the most part one consecrate will do it and the rest can be filled with hammer of righteous and an occasional judgement and shield slam.
    You need better dps :x I cannot, usually, leave the mob till he's at 20%~ without the risk of losing aggro. That said, we chainpull really fast anyway, i don't think mana issues are connected with how fast mobs die because being there tanking them already makes 70% of our rotation sustainable.

<3 Pally, Warrior, and Frost DK burst threat.

+ Reply to Thread