Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Threat Gen with Chill of the Throne

Threat Gen with Chill of the Throne

I tanked 25 man normal ICC last night. My threat gen and DPS were absolutely insane. I ended the night with 4.2k dps and I had to back off of targets that I wasn't tanking or I would pull them.

This is my gear as you can see, I'm not uber geared at all. However, I decided to go for a BV/ mitigation build and have kept several lower ilevel pieces purely for their BV.

The only thing I can think of, is that raid buffed, my BV is over 3k so I am well above the cap for threat contribution for HS/ShoR and my avoidance just dropped by 20% (CotT) so I am blocking a lot more.

Have any other paladin tanks noticed a sharp increase in tanking threat gen?
    Creosmalkor, Paladin, US-Aegwynn

I'm not a paladin but i have. A pala tank i've been doing ToGC10 with used to do about the same threat as me. If i worked on it i could come close to outaggroing him. Then 3.3 hits, we move onto icc10 and suddenly he was doing about 50% more threat, pulling mobs off me without even trying. There's definitely something going on

ICC is full of undead. Paladins do more damage against undead, ergo more threat.

Yarrr, me hearties! I am a new user.

And I am also a paladin, and every non-paladin tank has been complaining about me rage/RP starving them... Do you think our 7% (6% from Crusade, 1% from minor Glyph of Sense Undead) extra damage are really that big of a deal? I mean, I can start attacking one of the Deathbound Wards when it is at 75%, and by the time it's dead, I'd be above 90% of its tank's threat. I am burning tens of thousands lead threat.
    A single regret can crush a thousand proud deeds.

Undead are to Paladins what chocolate bars are to Children (or crack to crackheads).
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Yeah a lot when you look at the added dps and threat pali's gain to undead, with glyph, crusade and the retarded amount of holy damage (being able to add holy wrath to my rotation is so yummy) in ICC. The big thing here is if your a tankadin and not holding threat (aside from Deathwhisper debuff) you seriously need to workout your rotation and spec. I cycled in Hand of Salv with the glyph for the dam. reduct simply because of the gross threat I'm pulling in there, even with Salv ticking I'm still staying well ahead of our druid or warrior. But it's in no way fair to the other classes to draw a comparison to them vs. a good pali tank in there.

Another thing that you have to realize is that paladins are at a faceroll level of ease for threat generation right now, and undead just increases that discrepancy. 7% becomes a larger number when you are already in the lead.

Yeah, I've been noticing an increase in threat generation.

I also noticed some time ago that except for very specific situations, threat generation is a non-issue for tanks.
    Sure, I need to hold back a bit when we swap tanks, but having to think a bit more while tanking isn't exactly a bad thing, and I think holding back a bit after a tank swap is always a smart thing to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

My guild's melee is a little trigger happy (They complain about every tank, in every instance about "not holding aggro" or not having enough threat) and they haven't whined at all in ICC. There is definitely been something on the backside boosting threat. Obviously Sense Undead, but they haven't said anything about warriors either.

Quote Originally Posted by ArgentSun View Post
    Do you think our 7% (6% from Crusade, 1% from minor Glyph of Sense Undead) extra damage are really that big of a deal? .
    Yes, that 6-7% is HUGE. As a warrior, I had to respec, regear, and reglyph dropping anything threat related for survivability so my overall threat is way lower. The pally boost doesn't help me any lol. On threat sensitive fights gotta tell the pallys to "stop dots/aoe in advance of my taunt, take hands off keyboard, and wait for 2 devistates before attacking slowly again."
    Former healbot now a Disgruntled protection warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by Virall View Post
    My guild's melee is a little trigger happy (They complain about every tank, in every instance about "not holding aggro" or not having enough threat) and they haven't whined at all in ICC. There is definitely been something on the backside boosting threat. Obviously Sense Undead, but they haven't said anything about warriors either.
    No there isn't .
    It's because it's a new instance so they are actually paying attention, they aren't sure what or when to DPS, or your warrior has upgraded his gear. There is no crazy, shady mechanic.

All i can say to my fellow pallie tanks is enjoy it while it lasts Cataclysm will have few if any undead. We also get 3 aoe moves to use consecrate, hammer of righteousness and holy wrath (which stuns). Aggro is a non issue especially with crusade in your spec.

If you dont have a pallie in your raid group for ICC i recommend getting one because for atleast trash they make life so much easier.

Are we talking trash or bosses here? because you should have seen little to no difference on bosses. All the bosses in TotC apart from beasts were DUH so you we were getting the extra 3% from Crusade and the 1% from Glyph for most of them.

Perhaps it just because your not used to seeing Pally trash threat gen anymore?
    Roll with the punches.

Yeah, you are talking at most just 4% extra damage/threat. You won't even notice that. If you were doing 8k threat before, you will be doing 8320 threat. If you are doing 10k, you will be doing 10400. Not really something to conclude major changes from.

Well, the thrash threat at least, is the best threat so far, so easy to hold and pull off other classes. Our Undead AOE Stun does the job it seems.

As for bosses, threat is as good as it was in ToGC? I don't think your increased threat has anything to do with Chill of the Throne, more to do with Undead.
    The Ashbringer...

It may just have been a while since your new improved gear has seen trash.

Having those tasty little damage buffs combined with the reflective damage on multiple targets, plus Consecrate, glyphed HotR, and usable Holy Wrath? I'm not surprised many Protadins feel like threat gods in ICC. =)
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfists View Post
    All i can say to my fellow pallie tanks is enjoy it while it lasts Cataclysm will have few if any undead. We also get 3 aoe moves to use consecrate, hammer of righteousness and holy wrath (which stuns). Aggro is a non issue especially with crusade in your spec.

If you dont have a pallie in your raid group for ICC i recommend getting one because for atleast trash they make life so much easier.
    You act like Paladins won't have nice threat still when all this is over. If things stay the way they are, Paladins will still be top in threat, that's where they are now and it hasn't changed in ICC, I'm wondering why people seem to be just noticing this?

Quote Originally Posted by Martie View Post
    Sure, I need to hold back a bit when we swap tanks, but having to think a bit more while tanking isn't exactly a bad thing, and I think holding back a bit after a tank swap is always a smart thing to do.
    Sadly, for every one like you there are more who will gleefully keep going full steam and then yell LOL UR BAD when they faceroll back to aggro.
    Got a question? Try here: Evil Empire Guides and here: Tankspot Guides and Articles Library first!

Quote Originally Posted by Satrina View Post
    Sadly, for every one like you there are more who will gleefully keep going full steam and then yell LOL UR BAD when they faceroll back to aggro.
    I'm so glad to know there's big-name (trinket names!) support for this concept! It's so ridiculous when people keep dishing out threat-generating abilities after a tank swap and go "I don't know how I got aggro back", meanwhile implying that you must suck for not being able to out aggro them in the 3 second window before your taunt loses its fixate. You're not DPS, no one cares if you have to stop damage for 15 seconds. Ugh.

LuLia I was just saying that before Wrath hit every Paladin knew that Naxx and the final raid on arthas would be our stomping ground. Lich King was and did have plenty of undead critters and Paladins were built for them. Cataclysm's story (and im stabbing in the dark here) doesnt appear that it will have any undead if just a few but im sure we'll see demons. With many DKs going blood we are the defacto aoe tank. On a boss i dont see my tps as deal breaker for other tanks but i do notice our initial threat can spike well.

Ive also have noticed tanks will continue to use threat abilities after an aggro switch. To me this is a dps mentality hold over where you feel you need to hit the boss hard or youre lazy. Our job is to create threat to allow dps to well dps hard and absorb damage. The day you see your abilities as threat generators and not damage dealers is the day you have began your long journey as a tank.

Closed Thread