+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newbie Tank Advice

Newbie Tank Advice

Dear Tankspot,

I jest recently discovered this site, and it has been very helpful so far. However, I just started a character that I intend to be a tank (Warrior lv. 7) and I realized that I have no idea where to start.

If anyone could direct me to any threads or posts that could help me start, I would appreciate it. If this can be collapsed into another thread, then please delete this one. The last thing I would want to do would be to clog the forums.

Thank you all (prematurely) for your advice, and I hope to be able to be a credit tanks everywhere.

imo level either arms or fury, at least until you're high enough level that you can finally pick up devastate. Just keep a sword and shield on you so that if you goto an instance you can tank. At low levels you pretty much just hit sunder and heroic strike.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Agreed. At lower levels levelling as prot is very painful, and it's completely possible to tank as arms or fury until reaching Outlands, and even there if you know what to do and have a good healer. Of course, you should still be tanking with a sword and shield and any stamina gear you can get your hands on, but until you get Devastate/Shield Slam tanking pretty much consists of sunder armor, heroic strike, and thunderclap.

Once you are high enough level to get Warbringer, you might consider switching to prot levelling. It starts moving much faster when you can zoom around everywhere, and by that time you'll have shield slam, devastate, and concussion blow to help speed up mob kills. By the time you reach Northrend, Prot will be just as fast at levelling as Arms or Fury.

To add one tidbit to two great responses, I'll toss in this: If you have someone that you group/pair up with religiously (Me, for example, I was lucky enough to level up my tank alongside of my wife's DPS hunter), you might want to consider doing Protection all the way so that you can learn and discover their uses along the way. Otherwise, if you're soling, then I suggest doing what Aggathon said and do Arms or Fury until you're about 70ish.
    "Incoming Fire has the right of way"
    -Murphy's 18th Law of Combat

Thank you all

This looks really helpful. My main is a DPS Marksmanship Hunter, so this is somewhat foreign to me.

I'll try to keep all this in mind. Thanks again, everyone.

I agree with alot of what was said above as well. I leveled to about 50 or so in arms, but once I learned how to actually use a sword/shield combo, and had Warbringer available, I never looked back. I leveled the last 30 or so in prot, and had a blast doing it. You'll probably want to stay towards a Deep Wounds build for prot soloing as well, and I carried around some more DPS oriented gear for when I was solo for a long time as well.

It also may depend upon whether you roll on a PvE or PvP server. I personally rolled arms while leveling so I could defend myself in a PvP environment, but I could see doing it as fury or prot if that is not part of your calculation. I could really see doing it as prot 'cuz prot warriors are rough to take down for the most part.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

+ Reply to Thread