+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Prot Warrior - Need help holding Mob Threat

how is glyph of devastate that much better than the sunder glyph? i beleive that when you have glyph of sunder armor, that it works with devastate as well... doesnt it since devastate apply's a sunder?

Quote Originally Posted by cleetis View Post
    and why doesnt everyone like glyph of sunder. the additional mob the sunder hits, helps with AOE threat as well... i use it and i love it...
    As a general rule, I always keep this in mind:

"Gear for bosses, not for trash."

In this situation, 5 mans just dont have the same priority over raid bosses.
    "Ive always wondered what we warriors say to make people attack harder, be healthier, or taunt mobs" -Orla

"Gear for bosses, not for trash."
    Gear for both. Tanking trash? Throw your threat gear on, tanking a lot of trash? Throw a cleave glyph and a crit trinket on. It only takes a couple of seconds to put the gear you need for a boss on. Most progression tanks will tweak their kit on a boss-by-boss basis anyways, so why not give yourself as much of an advantage as you can for trash?

Yes i can see where the double stack on a raid boss was great, but he is talking about how to tank MULTIPLE mobs... so wouldnt glyph of sunder work better if it goes onto a second target, creating additional aggro on a mob he does not have targeted?

is there a way to switch glyphs without loosing them? i always thought you had to be near one of those pillars in a main city in order to swap out glyphs, and you loose the one you had in there... or am i missing something? glyphs can be changed in an instance, withouth loosing them?

Nope, you can now swap glyphs out any time you are out of combat. You should carry a stack of glyphs in your bag to help you with specific fights. I use a glyph of taunt for Gormok, then I change it for a glyph of sunder for twins (One warrior tank so its good to be able to stack sunders on the other twin) same for Anub adds, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by cleetis View Post
    also,
    if it were me, there are better chants and gems out there that would better you as a "tank". Your not trying to DPS your trying to stay alive and keep the mobs hitting you.
    True, I'm not trying to out DPS anyone. I'm just trying to up it a bit after my minimums are met and I have an over-abundance of points (such as being 10+ on Defense at 550 when I only need to be at 540 or to drop HR back down to 8% when it's creeping up to 9% for example). And I am using the proper enchants for a tank as per what both Be.Imba and WoWHeroes both recommend.

I think that I'm also seeing another problem that I'm not doing with this latest batch of responses. I tend to stay focused on whatever is flagged for destruction first. So I'm not tabbing through the targets in order to land blows on everyone. I've been just relying on TC and Cleave to do the job for me, which obviously is not cutting it.

And I'm with Cleetis on the Glyph of Sunder Armor. Like I mentioned, I've noticed that when I do use Devistate, it is hitting other nearby targets with a Sunder Armor. Yes, that second target is not getting Devistate, but I'm still hitting it with SA. So I've been experimenting with the Devistate/Sunder Armor glyph combination to see how that works for awhile and I have another Glyph of Cleaving in my bank just on the off chance that the Glyph Combo is not working out better.

Again, thank you everyone for your responses! You all are helping out immensely!
    "Incoming Fire has the right of way"
    -Murphy's 18th Law of Combat

My warriors build is The World of Warcraft Armory
    This build is excellent for holding threat And Aoe threat at that. But i cleave the mobs and keep using my thunderclap and cycling thru the mobs. This build has worked wonders for me. And i hope it helps everyone else.

Ok, with my experiment with the Glyph of Devistate/Glyph of Sunder Armor combination, here is what I've found out:

Glyph of Devistate will hit Target A with the Devistate ability, producing 2 effects of Sunder Armor on Target A. Glyph of Sunder Armor will then hit Target B nearby with the additional effect of Sunder Armor, but with only 1 effect. If there are 3 targets to choose from, then the additional effect of Sunder Armor on an additional target appears to be random between Targets B and C.

Also, thank you everyone for the tip of cycling through targets, that has greatly increased my tanking ability/skills and my ability to hold mob threat has greatly improved.

Been farming HoR reg for the shield. No luck yet...

HoR Warrior Tanking

The way I have done it as a warrior tank in HoR:

1. Have everyone stack in the corner behind a boss; Vigilance someone.
    2. Tell party to hold any dps and heals until mobs are all around corner.
    2. Mark yourself and healer if need be with a raid icon. Turn enemy unit nameplates on.
    3. Stand on steps. When mobs become targetable, pop Bloodrage for instant aggro.
    4. Write a simple macro that "/yells Incoming Mobs - Get in Corner" when the current mob is close to dead (the waves do overlap sometimes on the last mob that is dying, and dps/heals will be out of corner catching threat)
    4. Run around corner with party to los mobs right away. Wait for them to come.
    5. /startattack; Thunderclap; Devastate>tab>Devastate>tab>Devastate; Thunderclap; Shockwave; Dev>tab>Dev; Spell reflect; Disarm Hunter: Conc Blow on Priest/Shield Bash>etc.
    Last edited by Rootkitworm; 12-23-2009 at 11:39 PM.
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die. -Hunter Thompson

i am having the same damn prblem with HOR. What i am doing is this:

everyone stacks in an alcove. this keeps all out of LOS. I stay out a bit in LOs and pick up mobs as they come in..TC ,Dshout, shockwave when i get mobs closer, Tab target and devestate or slam or revenge or mock....tc and shock when ready.

I use disarm..and concussion as well.

its a total fail...lol,,,,any advice?

MY hp is geared to 49k,,,def 544..so its not the gear,,it my playstyle here,,,i think.

If you are only worried about multimob tanking... I suggest using the prot spec I thought out. I am main spec dps and if I have to offtank for something I do swap out glyphs and spec.. but since I use my prot set for pretty much tanking heroics and getting stuff out of the way... I use 3/14/54

It is for use with less rage for abilities, you lose parry but if you're worried about multimob tanking it really won't have that big of am impact. Pick up improved cleaving and glyph of cleaving with glyph of resonating power.

Then for these abilities: devastate, concussion blow, shield slam, revenge put it together with a macro such as this (for all of then)

/cast shield block
    /cast bloodrage
    /cast revenge
    /cast cleave

This ensures your shield block and bloodrage are never on cooldown ever and it ensures you use cleave everytime you have the rage (with having the abilities cost less and you getting hit more due to loss of parry, will be a nonexistant issue). This tied with thunderclap and shockwave makes for actually pretty brutal multimob tanking.

If however you are using it as a generic tank set... where you tank raids as well, get the typical deep wounds spec (where you dont get the less cost of your abilities or use weird glyphs) and just spam cleave while you do your normal abilities.

Like I said, mine is pretty much specifically for tanking heroics, I don't use that for raids but I haven't come up with a better spec/glyphs for multimob tanking.. I'm fairly sure I have never ever lost a mob while using this and have actually out held paladin and dk tanks while using it..

Something to think about, play around with it.

And... shield block value is imperative for multimob tanking, it reduces damage taken and gives helps with rage issues :]

P.S. just go ahead of the group when you have a chance, even 2 seconds is more time for you to gain threat. Let them catch up and pull away (Assuming you have a healer that isn't a tard)
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/mugthol/Saal/advanced

This is as much on the DPS as it is on the tank.

If they are AOEing, they are at fault. The advice to "Keep TC and SW on CD" is just wrong, IMO.

Those are your two best ways of grabbing threat on a mob without having it targetted.

You NEED those two skills to pick up the mobs on the initial pulls. Learn Shield slam the first mob, Dev the second, then use tclap to pick up the 3rd and 4th.

Learn to charge, then shieldslam then disarm the hunter.
    Learn to taunt, then spell reflect on the mages.

Use your conc blow often on hunters or mages.

Teach your DPS to focus fire. Have a set priority kill order (Priest, Hunter, Mage) Make the DPS mark, if you're too busy to.

It is a tough fight for a warrior, but, the tough part isn't holding aggro, it's training your DPS to NOT go off and just kill whatever they want like they've been doing since 2.3 came out.

Oh yeah, one last thing, if your healer is getting ganked, make sure he's standing at max range (if you're using the opening alcove he should be back against the door that closes) and use Vigi on the healer.

Ok, so how far out should I be standing to aggro the mobs? Yes, I'm holding threat better now with everyone's tips. But H HoR is still handing me my hindquarters on a silver platter. I have the group hiding in the alcoves while I stand out to grab people, but the mobs seem to run right by me to go after the party...

Don't go into the alcove, it's easier to just have a mage sheep/priest shackel/dk chains of ice/druid roots etc etc for the ranged and take care of the melee then move on.

If you have people who can't CC, drop them from the group, they don't belong there if they can't grant a simple request that will keep everyone alive.

As for line of sighting them - they shouldn't "run past you" - you should be in the corner too and all of them will eventually get to you - some are going to get there faster naturally, get some aggro on them, then the others from farther away will come in, grab those at that time. Every person should be in the same corner and once all mobs are right in front of you, take them out.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/mugthol/Saal/advanced

I keep a second shield with a Titanium Shield Spike on it which I throw on whenever Im AE tanking. Not only does it help with passive threat, but its a nice DPS boost.

P.s. I also think the glyph of sunder is inferior to devastate. Glyph Cleave is essential, and Glyphed Vigilance is damn nice too.

I am no expert either but this works for me.

I have two prot specs one for MT raiding and another for running heroics with an emphasis on multiple mob pulls. I glyph cleave, shockwave and blocking with my AoE spec. I also have a cast sequence macro for thunder clap and cleave and another for shockwave and demo and spec into improved spell reflect.

For H HoR, depending on the group make up I will have a priest shackle the hunter and it dies last, a DK to death grip a mage to me, heroic throw on another mage if there are two. First kill target is always the rogue followed by the second rogue if there are two up, then the priest if melee has not already killed it and everything else after that as they will now be on my like glue, then the hunter. If you do not have a shackle for the hunter charge him, disarm and intervene back to your group and he will follow. While I am working with the mobs pop spell reflect consistently, shield bash
    and interrupt constantly.
    Because 3 tanks are better than 1

Personally, in AoE situations such as HoR - which admittedly i have only done twice and didnt finish both times due to DPS not being able to kill mobs before Arthas caught us - i use the sunder, cleave and blocking glyphs, and i seem to do that first boss fight fine.

I understand the potential of the devastate glyph, but IMO, sunder good for multiple trash combined with cleave - it works fine for me . If it works for you, go for it!

Aerei - Aman'Thul

I hate hate hate hate using the side alcoves in HHoR. I always use the entrance way, because it is just easier for me.
    Tell your healer and ranged DPS to stay against the door that closes, and then you can stand out in the front right where the alcove opens up and grab up the mobs much easier. Don't go charging all over, and get OOR of the healer, though.

Things to watch for: The hunter and mages will aggro on the healer and run up towards you while they stand at range and pop the healer. Make SURE you pick him up then. A taunt + shield slam is plenty to hold aggro. Save your thunderclap for when a mob gets by you, or you need to grab two mobs at the same time.
    The healer can use the little fire vases to hide out of line of sight sometimes.
    Last edited by Posolutely; 01-05-2010 at 09:30 AM.

+ Reply to Thread