+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AOE Tanking?

AOE Tanking?

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Shu%27halo&n=Zyd

I'm sure my gear isn't the problem but when running heroics I seem to have a problem holding aggro on groups of mobs. I thunderclap when I can and use shockwave on every cooldown. Sometimes I have to use challenging shout. Is there something I'm missing? And does shockwave even produce threat?
    -So I just stand in the corner and take all the damage?
    -Correct, your the tank.
    -I'm going to go re-roll

I try to pull with charge on a target, then tab and throw on another while charging, back to the main target and shockwave, thunder clap, shield slam on main target, tab revenge, demo shout and using cleave all the time, always moving around in circles of the mob so shockwave and thunderclap can do the job right.
    If there is a caster far away keep shield reflect up all the time, if there are 2 casters, save heroic throw to interrupt one so it comes to melee range.

Try not to stick on thunderclap and shockwave. Demo shout works too, and of course, always use cleave. In time, you will find out that AOE tanking is fun.

I am still not perfect at AoE tanking, but I think I am pretty decent at it so I can give you some tips. However, I use 2 prot specs that each have their own armor set and different glyphs which helps me a lot to increase my tanking ability. I find I can still solo just fine so I don't worry about a dps set or spec.

I do it a little different than the person who commented above me, but pretty similar. I also Charge, but then I immediately shield slam my current target, Thunder Clap, Heroic throw a caster, pop Spell Reflect, when all targets are grouped Shockwave, Thunder Clap, the whole time also I've been tabbing and cleaving and using all my Devastate/Revenge/Shield Slam cooldowns. It's a lot of button mashing :P I do not bother with demo shout because it does so little threat unless i just want initial aggro.

Basically if you look at my armory: The World of Warcraft Armory

I am in my Trash gear and spec which is designed for AoE tanking. You will also notice I am using a DPS weapon. This is because it generates a lot more threat with deep wounds and cleave in particular than a fast tanking weapon. The top end damage is more important than the speed of the weapon. However there are no slow tanking weapons in the game post ToC, so a DPS weapon works just fine. Most tanks are way above the defense cap at this point so it is ok to lose some tanking stats especially since this is just for your trash set.

After testing a slow weapon vs a fast weapon on ICC trash, I found my DPS on trash was around 2400 with my slow weapon (cleave made up about 30% of my dps and Shield Slam was after that at around 21%) and with a fast weapon I found I could not hold threat as well and my damage was lowered to around 2000 to 2100 dps.

The difference in gear sets is high block vs avoidance because of Damage Shield talent and higher Shield Slam damage and you get more rage and threat from being hit vs avoiding damage. You already have Deep Wounds so that's good. Tab target your heart out and Cleave continuously. Because Cleave can crit and if you have Glyph of Cleave every swing with it you have a chance to put Deep Wounds on the target when it crits.

I will note that my spec will be changing a bit in light of the new instances. I'll be taking out of focused rage and putting into Improved Spell Reflection. I'm also going to be getting rid of Glyph of Heroic Strike (don't really use it on AoE packs) and getting Glyph of Sunder Armor.

You might also consider putting more points into Shield Specialization talent and putting the Stam and Armor value meta in your helm to help with your damage from Armored to the Teeth.
    Last edited by Kiyah; 12-14-2009 at 08:57 AM.

Its no different than what i said about AOE, though. Charge+Shield Slam on Main Target, Throw on 2nd caster if there is any, or at the 2nd mob ahead while charging. If there is only 1 caster is better to just tank it with Reflect.
    Demo is only for refill and soften incoming damage.
    Also what you say about the slow weapon is true, I used to swap until ToC (No Thrash), and now I may have to look for a slow weapon again to try it out now.

Yes I must have misread. Good tips!

+ Reply to Thread