+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Icecrown Deathbringer Saurfang

unless we had a healer go DPS spec it looks like we had 6.

I use the "Friz Quadrata TT" font for MSBT

|TGM UI |Fury Warrior Guide | How To Use Landsoul's Spreadsheet| The Numbers Game |
    "I am an elitist; I will never accept mediocrity and I openly show no respect for stupidity"

We downed Saurfang on 25 using a pretty cold blooded but interesting strat.
    Ran 2 tanks 6 healers 17 dps. We did the typical strat with the add kiting focus targeting etc etc but one difference was seeing as the mark mechanic just increases the momentum of his BP gain we cut our losses and just let those that got marked before his soft enrage die. Doing this only 2 marks had been cast by 30%. Entering the burn phase, any marked people then had a paladin beacon tossed on them and were healed thru it. Adds were continuously focused down and the boss burned. Doing this strat we only got 4 marks the entire fight and thus got the achievement as well.
    Yes it has a pretty RNG component, but if the 1st 2 losses are an even spread of say a healer and a dps it works quite well.

Did this last night on 10 man.

Tanks need to taunt off each other when they get rune of blood. This is important to down saurfang as it heals him for a gazillion when he hits a target that has this debuff.

Blood beasts need to be burned down fast. I used vigilance for taunts on them.

Mark of the fallen champion got healed by our holy paladin, with beacon on the tank.

Saurfang seemed immune to disarm.

I don't think this could have been done with two healers, the damage from mark was simply too massive during his frenzy.

Our raid setup was:
    Warrior Tank, Paladin Tank
    2x DK dps, Ret pally
    Balance druid, Arcane mage
    Holy pally, Disc priest, Holy priest.
    I am the spearhead. I am relentless. I am the last line of defense. I am a Warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by manicus View Post
    Blood beasts need to be burned down fast. I used vigilance for taunts on them.
    I don't really think they give that much of a threat, sure we had 2 ranged kill them off, but in 10man i just felt like the fight doesn't require you to put a great effort into the adds. Sure we killed them, but one was attacking our tank for ages and we had one Mark of the Fallen by the end of the encounter. Although it is good practise for Hardmodes to put the extra effort in i guess.

I don't think this could have been done with two healers, the damage from mark was simply too massive during his frenzy.
    I think it hugely depends where you're at with gear, i went with a raid full of 245's while not BiS things from ToC, it allowed us to very easily kill him off with only one Mark going out and if we'd of used another healer, we'd of probably had two marks.

Remember to have your Disc Priest keep the raid shielded, i read somewhere that if the ability gets totaly absorbed, then Saurfang will not generate the blood rage energy from that attack.

We did this with 2 healers and 2 tanks as an (almost)-strict 10man guild (occasional ToC25 pug, easy stuff). We killed him just after the second Mark, which made things hectic at the end. Holy Paladin beaconed the first Mark and focussed on the tanks, RDruid took care of the raid.

Except for Mark, incomming damage is actually quite low. So as long as you do good DPS and keep Blood Power gains to a minimum (spread! dont get hit by beasts!) you won't get into problems with Marks overrunning your healers.

This is an extremely easy fight on 10-man if you only have two good geared healers. We actually ninjapulled it and only got our strategy straight at 50% and still killed it. Obviously good DPS helps a lot but here are some things that helped us in both 10 and 25.

All types of knockback and slowing abilites are helpful. Typhoon obviously but if you have an elemental shaman, he can remove the Glyph of Thunderstorm as well. Also stuns are helpful, whenever they spawned, our destruction warlock stunned them with a Shadowfury and after that I put up Curse of Exhaustion on as many as I could (very nice with the glyph). This is a good alternative if you don't have that many hunters (or they're killed) or none in your 10-man. Earthbind is also helpful. Exhaustion is good because if you stand fairly close you can reach everyone and hunters and shamans doesn't have to break their position and lose DPS time on moving in and setting up traps/totems.

Discipline priests are GODS here. We used 6 healers (but no disc) on our 25-man attempts and since we were still trying out strategys, a lot of Blood Power was gained and a lot of people got Marks. However, thanks to the shields, the first tick on the dots, novas and Marks all help to reduce Saurfang's Blood Power and for a first kill, I would highly recommend bringing one.

Some feedback from the field 10 man...

We used 2 tanks, 2 healers, 3 melee, 3 ranged.

Holy pally turned on Righteous fury and he became an extremely effective magnet for the adds. I started out trying hurricane like the guide suggested for 25 man, but it drained my mana too fast and I often had to resort to single target to get aggro. All slowing effects were applied (Frost fever, Earthbind totem, Slow from the mage, Frost Nova). As a boomkin I held the Typhoon as last resort to knock any adds back that managed to make it to it's target.

deciding wether or not to two tank this fight on 25 man is a balancing act because there are a few variables that need to be considered.

tank swapping reduces his BP gain from hitting the tanks, and reduces the healing he gets. BUT, you lose an extra DPS, which is important for more reasons than simply the damage they bring.

even though tank swapping reduces his BP gain in one area, it increases the duration of the fight and therefore gives him more chances to gain BP, making it more likely you hit the soft enrage. the longer he is alive the longer people are going to be taking damage from mark, which is putting even more stress on healers mana, and it also increases the chances of a marked player dying.

1 tanking it makes the soft enrage come sooner than 2 tanking it, but this fight doesn't revolve around the DPS, it revolves around the healers, the DPS are there to make it so the healers won't run out of mana (IE make him die before they go OOM). the longer he is alive the more time his BP generation has to relly ramp up, I could be totally wrong here but depending on your guilds DPS the difference between 1 tanking it and 2 tanking it could be the difference between getting 5 marks or 7.

For hardmode I can pretty much guarentee that tank swaps will be needed but the way it's tuned for normal currently I think there is a fine line between viably reducing his BP/HP gain from rune of blood, and making the fight go on too long and hitting the soft enrage.
    Last edited by Thegreatme; 12-11-2009 at 08:18 AM.

|TGM UI |Fury Warrior Guide | How To Use Landsoul's Spreadsheet| The Numbers Game |
    "I am an elitist; I will never accept mediocrity and I openly show no respect for stupidity"

is there a mod that correctly does 12 yard range? I know the /distance ingame can be set to 11 yards don't know if you can change that..

Quote Originally Posted by bloodbrother View Post
    is there a mod that correctly does 12 yard range? I know the /distance ingame can be set to 11 yards don't know if you can change that..
    I don't know about other boss mods but I am pretty sure you can change the range with DXE, which is the mod my guild uses.

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreatme View Post
    deciding wether or not to two tank this fight on 25 man is a balancing act because there are a few variables that need to be considered.
    I'd argue that having a second tank with a second set of CD's to use would help out the healers quite a bit once you get deep into the fight.

tank swapping reduces his BP gain from hitting the tanks, and reduces the healing he gets. BUT, you lose an extra DPS, which is important for more reasons than simply the damage they bring.

even though tank swapping reduces his BP gain in one area, it increases the duration of the fight and therefore gives him more chances to gain BP, making it more likely you hit the soft enrage. the longer he is alive the longer people are going to be taking damage from mark, which is putting even more stress on healers mana, and it also increases the chances of a marked player dying.
    I disagree with this. We tried this with 1 tank and downed it with 2 tanks.

The debuff heals him for 5 * the extra damage dealt, which since it appears to be unmitigated by armor is something in the 10's of thousands. Of course this only happens if he hits you with the rune up, which means with attack speed debuffs me might realistically only get healed 4 times or so. But still, I'm more than willing to bet that 4 massive heals (affected by how much range hates you) every minute or so is going to be more dps than you'd gain by swapping out a tank.

I suppose it's pretty close, but I don't think you'd see any significant dps gains or shorten the fight in any significant way. Unless the extra dps can help out on blood beasts.

That said, my guild did push him into the frenzy using 1 tank before deciding we couldn't keep dpsing through the rune of blood. So, the numbers may actually end up in your favor.

Downed 25man last night, had no Hunters so we used a mage spec into Frostbite, Permafrost, Imp Blizzard, and Chilled to the bone, basically full frost. Had a holy pally with fury up to get them away from tank and the mage used blizzard to hold them in place while we burned them down; it worked awesome the beasts didnt really move that far before they all dropped.

I have a very out dated addons movie on my youtube channel, but nothing that is fully up to date. I plan on making a thread on the UI compilation boards with a list of all my addons as well as a link to download it once I am done with this semester (meaning after next week some time).
    I'd very much be interested in that as well. I've been looking for a way to streamline my ui a bit and yours looked like just the ticket.

I agree with muffin man. I'm sure it would be easy to figure out how much the boss is getting healed for, but with only one tank your getting increased BP gains AND more dps required due to the healing. Figuring that a tank does ~2k dps then figure out how much the boss is healing for and that's the minimum dps the extra person would have to do in order to break even. Then factor in the extra BP the boss is getting constantly for the whole fight and their is no way that the extra dps would be more benefitial.

If I'm reading rune of blood right, their is no way they can even come close to breaking even. Leaches 5100-6900 health from target and heals boss for x5 that? Is that every hit the boss is healing 30k? or every time he applies it?

Got him last night.

Here's the secret: Let the marked players die.

We two tanked it, and we got our first mark at 65%. The only people we were going to heal through Mark is the boomchicken, or one of the two hunters.

After we realized to just let them die, we killed it in three attempts.
    Log of kill:
    World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis

Also, the heal only applies every time he connects with a melee attack on the tank.

We had 4 marks total and got the achieve. Yay for hard-mode frostwyrms.

Thanks TGM for the font.

that's rather interesting. if you just simply let them die this fight could probably even be 4 healed (I see you guys ran with 5)

anyone figure out if the life leech heal, and more importantly, the heal when a marked player dies is affected by healing debuffs like MS?

I don't know but next week I'll ask our marks hunter to Aimed shot him before the first marked player goes down!

I was arms dps and MS did not affect the heal.
    Ntm Wars it helps to read previous posts, I stated all of that already xD.
    Last edited by Battleharpy; 12-11-2009 at 06:52 PM.

Thank you battle, good to know for future stuff.

+ Reply to Thread