+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Are the T10 set bonuses worth it?

wow, 900 armor and 1k armor bonuses, at the expense of avoidance, not terrible, but if you wear pillars AND this chest, I wonder how low our defense will be...

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

The real issue will present itself in the 264 numbers. Based on the 251 numbers the 264 look to be very similar to the Badge items. In which case people who bought the Gloves/Chest and passed on 264 tokens got screwed, cause they could have gotten a free set bonus outta the deal and an item they can upgrade with just another token.

The lack of defense could present and issue. They are probably trying to remove it slowly as they can due to it being removed entirely in Cata.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

This just in: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...id=1&pageNo=15

I forgot to add that Gauntlets of the Kraken are changing slightly as well:

Current Vendor Armor

Gauntlets of the Kraken

2308 Armor
    120 Strength
    157 Stamina
    Red Socket
    Yellow Socket
    Socket Bonus: +9 Stamina
    Equip: Increases defense rating by 63.
    Equip: Increases your parry rating by 63.

Updated Vendor Armor

Gauntlets of the Kraken

2658 Armor
    120 Strength
    157 Stamina
    Red Socket
    Yellow Socket
    Socket Bonus: +9 Stamina
    Equip: Increases defense rating by 63.
    Equip: Increases your parry rating by 48.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

The changes aren't that bad if you think about it, when comparing the offset shoulders, helmet, chest and gloves to the T10 ones you can see that with equal amounts of EH the T10 is still slightly worse for whatever reason whether it is lack of expertise, defense, socket etc... It all depends on your current gear situation, you have to remember that this change only affects us until we have the badges to get all offset pieces and be able to get the 2pc which is very soon and excelerating becuase of new bosses. If you aren't counting on getting many drops for whatever reasons you may have I would still grab the offset gloves and chest followed by the T10 helm and shoulders since if you aren't counting on getting drops the T10 helm and shoulders have no upgrades while the T10 gloves and chest do have slight upgrades.

That being said assuming that you have or will get the shoulders and helmet to drop the best T10 2pc combo is the gloves and helmet since the chest losses huge amounts of expertise and defense compared the offset piece and the T10 shoulders lose 18 stamina due to a socket bonus comapred to the drop.

So the T10 2pc list assuming you get all drops is

1.Helmet - Equal EH, small loss in avoidance trading strength for hit

2. Gloves - Equal EH, trades parry for hit

3. Chest - Big losses of defense and expertise

4. Shoulders - Loss of 18 stamina because of an extra socket on the dropped ones

This list only applies assuming all of these slots are at an equal gear level meaning this is the right list for if you have all 251s or all 264s. When ever you have the 264 piece this list gets completely shifted meaning that if you already have the 264 helmet it is the worth piece to get T10 at for immediate upgrade. The chest and shoulder rank is interchangable depending on your current expertise and defense situation.

so... all that effort and hullabaloo to achieve what exactly? In the long-run for players not doing t10.277 content I'm not sure this changes anything. Perplexing.

I am really very perplexed about the changes from a numerical point of view.

They actually raised the amount of Parry on the chest, and removed 100% of the defense just to give it the same bonus armor as the badge chest? What?

Key mistake and huge problem with this change:
    Defense may not be a sexy stat to most, but point-for-point it is better for survival time than either Dodge or Parry rating for a high-end tank!

So...by removing all the Def and spending more points on Parry, they have effectively traded off a significant avoidance value in return for the armor, while the badge chest has no such design flaw. Even with the upgrade to 264 stats, the T10 chest is likely to not have any more EH than the badge chest (see: extra socket) and either less on barely any more avoidance despite the fact that it is 'missing' 82 Expertise! By dumping all the Defense Rating and raising the Parry at the expense of Dodge, they have effectively reduced the item's potential significantly.

I'm also not totally sure why they didn't sacrifice the Hit Rating on the gloves instead of the Dodge Rating. They have effectively not increased the survival time value on the items at all, despite the EH increase--and as they increased the armor on the badge gloves as well while optimizing their stat allocation, the T10 gloves are still just as inferior to the badge gear as they are currently, especially considering that Hit is not an important Warrior stat for TPS gains.

Even more perplexing given that change is the Gauntlets of the Kraken change, there they sacrifice over-costed Parry Rating for more bonus armor, thus doing exactly the opposite as with the T10 chest and increasing the mitigation value of the item in addition to its EH. Really, really odd.

So, really, the changes leave me more confused than anything. Honestly not sure what the aim of them is.
    Maintainer of Rawr.ProtWarr theorycrafting tool. Feel free to PM suggestions or feature requests!

I'm have thoughts that long term and possibly short, Blizzard don't either Jayde. The apparent changes that wouldn't make protection any worse and now this.
    Marking targets, coordinating CC, and *most importantly*, pulling responsibly so that 9 elites didn't rush us and wipe the party, this Is something I have missed since nov 08.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    wow, 900 armor and 1k armor bonuses, at the expense of avoidance, not terrible, but if you wear pillars AND this chest, I wonder how low our defense will be...
    By making the 251 t10 pieces that musch closer to the non-set badge pieces, and all the other things they've been doing, I think it's obvious they're trying to force us into 4/5 if not 5/5 t10, and away from the crafted legs and non-set pieces.

I suspect they're expecting us to get the defense from rings/weapons/shields. I know with my current gear if I was to get the new t10 bp plus the pillars right now,l I'd be something like 12 under uncrittable. I'd need to pop a yellow gem in or two and lose some potential stamina slots, but I'd still be well above where I am now. I'd do it.

Edit: oh wait, forgot I can just switch shield/cloak enchants and call it a day. Not so bad.

If I have calculated right the changes to the off set gloves will make them higher in armor than the updated 264 tier gloves, meaning with other factors added in they come out on top.
    Marking targets, coordinating CC, and *most importantly*, pulling responsibly so that 9 elites didn't rush us and wipe the party, this Is something I have missed since nov 08.

Now I am confused what BiS should be, but I think I paid thousands of gold and emblems (pillars and chest) for nuts, when the sets now become better?
    German guy, speaking bad english :/

Quote Originally Posted by Bukama View Post
    Now I am confused what BiS should be, but I think I paid thousands of gold and emblems (pillars and chest) for nuts, when the sets now become better?
    I think you won't miss a lot if you got those 2 pieces, unless you have a chance at the heroic 25m tokens. The chest is still pretty subpar compared to the t10 ilvl264 chest and the legs will pretty much always be BiS, so you are good. Don't worry about it.
    Nimchip - Warrior | Nimchy - Druid | Nimchy - Rogue | Nimch - Priest
    US BDF - SoldOut

now has your choices changed w/ the new blue post about upgrading the armor value on the gloves and chest to match those almost identically of the vendor items(chest and hands)? Now with that bonus armor added you would think most of the votes are back in the swing of the t10 4pc no? My thing with the start has been just the fact that it seemed blizz put together a pretty decent 2pc/4pc and I'm not sure they are going to let it go to waste vs. some vendor gear. Even with my 2pc on now-vendor belt and armor trink im hovering about 70% damage reduction fully raid buffed w/o an armor pot. Idk-my vote has been and still is the 4pc.

@ Bowen: Blizzard actually added more armor to the offset gloves to make them equal with the T10.

Quote Originally Posted by luv2tank View Post
    now has your choices changed w/ the new blue post about upgrading the armor value on the gloves and chest to match those almost identically of the vendor items(chest and hands)? Now with that bonus armor added you would think most of the votes are back in the swing of the t10 4pc no? My thing with the start has been just the fact that it seemed blizz put together a pretty decent 2pc/4pc and I'm not sure they are going to let it go to waste vs. some vendor gear. Even with my 2pc on now-vendor belt and armor trink im hovering about 70% damage reduction fully raid buffed w/o an armor pot. Idk-my vote has been and still is the 4pc.
    Well right now Luv2 the 4pc isn't really needed so the optimal combo is the head with either the shoulders or gloves depending on your current slots. Although if we do see a boss that actually needs it this chance is very good for us since before the change we were severly gimping ourself.

If I had to guess, I'd say the removal of defense rating from the chest is to still keep the gearing option from being too cut and dry (like it was before)... basically if you take the off-set chest, you can use the offset legs easier, if you use the tier 10 chest, using the tier 10 legs balances better (since the Pillars of Might would give an additional really big hit to your defence). Otherwise, you could use the 4-piece + Pillars of Might, and it would be the obvious best choice, minus a little (okay, a lot) Expertise on the chest.

I'm still thinking I'll go Cata + 4/piece, essentially trading the 1k bonus armor on the Pillars for a little more expertise and a once a minute 10k bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by Eravian View Post
    If I had to guess, I'd say the removal of defense rating from the chest is to still keep the gearing option from being too cut and dry (like it was before)
    I liked my gearing options cut and dry. They release the gear, we have a debate on whats the best and people make gearing plans based on the conclusions. I'm happy the T10 is getting a buff, but the strange games they are playing with the itemization to give us that buff seem less than ideal. I understand they are removing DEF in Cata, but hey! we still need it now. Maybe this is their subtle way of saying we don't like you stamina stacking everything, put a DEF gem in that yellow slot, instead of a +30 Stam.

Right now my brain hurts, Ill wait till the dust settles and we have solid stats to compare again before I worry any further.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodasafa View Post
    The real issue will present itself in the 264 numbers. Based on the 251 numbers the 264 look to be very similar to the Badge items. In which case people who bought the Gloves/Chest and passed on 264 tokens got screwed, cause they could have gotten a free set bonus outta the deal and an item they can upgrade with just another token.

The lack of defense could present and issue. They are probably trying to remove it slowly as they can due to it being removed entirely in Cata.
    As I've said before, remember that the set pieces offer no benefit over the badge armor pieces until you have four of them. The tanks who bought gloves and chest already may have "wasted" 155 badges, but the fact is by the time they actually obtain four 264 tier tokens, they'll be swimming in badges with nothing to spend them on. The tokens are pretty damn rare. At this point, even if you killed every boss the first week, and actually tried to get tier tokens, the expected number of tokens you should have is slightly greater than one. So even if you went for Tier from day one, you'd still only have one piece. That's if loot is distributed randomly, by the way. If you use DKP, as a tank your expected number of tokens is even lower. This is because encounters typically require two tanks only, so for every non-tier tank loot that drops you only have to compete with one other person for that loot. Your higher loot income from this will depress your DKP standing. DPS have to compete with 3-5 others for nonset loot that drops, so overall they spend far less DKP in new raid zones. When you suddenly have to compete against these DPS classes for tier tokens, you will have no chance at winning.

One thing to remember is that Toravon will likely drop the 264 t10 gloves and legs... which might make those a bit lower on the priority list for anyone thinking about buying them.

I still think the most simple fact, for Warriors at least, is that Shaman and Hunters have uber set bonuses for the most part and frankly I would rather see them get theirs at this stage of progression (given the rarity) rather than me taking them for a questionable or nonexistant upgrade.
    Maintainer of Rawr.ProtWarr theorycrafting tool. Feel free to PM suggestions or feature requests!

Same, Jayde. I can survive the big bruiser bosses just fine and if me passing on tokens for a bit means the hunters and shaman in my raid can kill (or heal) stuff better than I'm game.

Good point about passing on tokens, until this stuff gets upgraded, the 264 badge pieces are just flat out better... now if the shoulders/helm would drop from their respective bosses i won't have to buy the t10 helm/shoulders either just yet! ;P

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

+ Reply to Thread