+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: Are the T10 set bonuses worth it?

I'm not recalling any shadow resistance gear in this expansion....
    Between the http://www.wowhead.com/?item=44139, the http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=57696 (only for LW) and the http://www.wowhead.com/?item=44939 (especially if you're an alch) along with something like http://www.wowhead.com/?item=49309 it's pretty easy to get to 200 SR without significantly gimping your gear or bonuses. Of course LW has it easier, but that's because it's the best tanking profession

Also felhoof, after talking with a close guild friend in riot act, they have not been using CDs for soulreaper, they have just been taunting off. Soulreaper won't 1 shot you, and 50k damage is healable, the problem is that Arthas melees REALLY REALLY hard and 50k+20-30k melee is not survivable. So... they've just been having their tanks taunt, and they've been able to save cooldowns for oh shit moments.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

That's fair - but I don't see why you wouldn't use CDs then. There aren't really any ohshit moments other than those for the tanks (around the soul reaper time), so...yeah.

So you're saying they just taunt after a soul reaper so that the next tank gets meleed? Huh.

We did some work on LK in 10m and how soul reaper works is it puts a debuff on the tank and 5 seconds later it ticks for about a 41k shot. How we dealt with this is just have the OT taunt off the Mt when he got the debuff and did a rotation for that. The only catch is that if your OT still has adds on him for the first one you'll need to use a cool down so the 4pc is one of the other ideas to have avail just in case you had to burn some during p1 or p2.

Quote Originally Posted by swelt View Post
    The concern I still have with this is the encounters and badge incomes for expensive pieces of gear.

4pc Tier 8 wasn't great for warriors because it made their average DTPS lower than the equivalent offset pieces. It was great for warriors because it let them use shield block as an additional cooldown, enabling them to tank bosses like mimiron or IC hard much more easily.

As far as I know, we haven't even seen the Lich King fight in normal yet, nor have we seen hard modes for the key bosses (Putriside/Lanathel/Sindragosa and ofc Lich King hard). Given that they have put a fairly comparable survivability cooldown on every classes tank set, isn't it almost inevitable that they've factored this into the encounter design?
    It sucks to be right, and yet to have ignored my own concerns and bought the offset pieces. Now sitting on a 2piece bonus (gloves & shoulders since I had rams helm from day 1) and thus wanting ~190 badges to complete a 4 set. Options:
    - Live without it. It seems that the set bonus is not *required* for normal mode soul reaper, but probably is optimal.
    - Cry about it. To a GM. Given the order I bought things, this would be a tough sell.
    - Trinket it. Or to be specific, get the buffed skeleton key for it's 6k absorb, use that instead of the set bonus - but that's 60 badges in the wrong direction of the set bonus.

I actually went ahead and got the off-set chest this week even after hearing about The Lich King and given the changes. I simply don't see any compelling reason for the T10 4-set at this time. It seems advantageous to simply use a tank swap on Lich King anyway, and our existing cooldowns are sufficient for the moments where things go wrong.

Honestly, the T10 pieces are far too horribly itemized to be interesting at all until their 277 versions. I will be picking up the 2-set eventually if I can get 2 tokens from 25-man (which may take a while) but as the items are virtually identical in every way other than TPS compared to the two off-set items I have, I feel no rush on this whatsoever.

Frankly, if you removed Warrior T10 from the game hardly anyone would really notice, which is sad but simply the state of the itemization as it currently stands.
    Maintainer of Rawr.ProtWarr theorycrafting tool. Feel free to PM suggestions or feature requests!

Hey all.

Longtime warrior, longtime reader, firsttime poster.

I've been thinking alot about what items to get. So far ive picked up T10.264 helm and T10.251 gloves of T10.
    I simply cant figure out what the best offset would be. Many say that Pillars of Might is the best offset with 4xT10, but from what i can see, you're gonna loose alot of exp. which i dont like. I prefer being as close to the soft cap as possible.
    Other people say that the bonus isnt really that great, and then what are the best offsets?
    A guy on my server has T10.264 gloves and head along with Bone Commander's Pauldrons, Cataclysmic Chestgaurd and Pillars of Might, and i've thought about this and it seemed as a good choice, but i've already got Boots of Kingly Upheavel, with saronites paid by GB, and i would try as hard i can to avoid that, because thats alot of money, and currently i have 9k.
    But then again, the T10 4pc bonus can be helpful sometimes. Im at 57k fully buffed and 20% of that would be 11400. 11400 dmg absorbed every 1min is pretty awesome.

So i've been thinking about getting 4pc T10.264 (when i get enough tokens) and then go with BCP as offset. How good would that be? I would get my expertise from legs, and +armor from chest and gloves.

Long story short: I cant decide what to choose.

sigh, picked up the t10 helm last night to replace the honorbound triumph emblem helm, and all my glorious expertise has all but disappeared, even my raiders noticed my threat sucking =*(*. It makes me sad to think that in order to be optimal, I have to dump 215 more emblems of frost to get my tier 10 4 pc. I'm hoping Koji is right and no one will notice I don't have that extra cooldown =P

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

I found the 4pc very useful for the initial hit of soulreaper combined with the sindragosa trinket. If you use 2 tanks for that phase the 4pc and sindras trinket will be up for every soulreaper. While you could survive without the cds theres just so much going on with healers getting valkyrs and defile why risk it.

We switched to using a pally tank last night on LK 25. It seems Ardent Defender's -damage taken effect is more than enough to keep the pally alive after Reaper+Melee hits, so he just solo tanks it. Not to mention the "last stand" portion of AD always hits when needed in that fight.
    Kinda annoys me, allthough my Shockwave comes in more handy on the Valkyrs.

Honestly, I find it a bit funny that such a big deal would even be made about our T10 4-set. At the end of the day--in the context it will be used--it's a clicky that will replicate the effect of Ardent Defender once per minute... if that's all it takes to survive, why not just use a Paladin which will always have the same effect on every time it happens no matter what they do?
    Maintainer of Rawr.ProtWarr theorycrafting tool. Feel free to PM suggestions or feature requests!

So my choices are:
    - Get 4pc
    - Get someone else to tank

Gee whiz, I wonder...

I can't help noticing that the armories of several of the world first type guilds are sporting 4pc, and various people citing it as a meaningful situational advantage. I will be getting it, though probably not for a couple of weeks depending on badge income. If you choose not to, that's your choice.
    Last edited by swelt; 02-12-2010 at 06:04 AM.

Well, every guild will have two tanks.. most guilds will have a Paladin tank by now for many reasons, so if a Paladin tank has an easy time on the fight where it is most applicable that does seem to be a large mark against it in my books. (Druids should also be able to handle it fine, from the looks of it.) Unless a guild is running Warrior/Warrior or possibly Warrior/DK, it seems like a minor issue at best.

For my part, I tank with a good Paladin so sounds like a non-issue for me personally.

And, again, the other key fact is that the Warrior pieces are very inferior in many ways unless you are using the 264 items at a minimum--which means at least 3 tokens to make it worthwhile. That is just not practical in a lot of cases at this point. The off-set items are generally going to be better for most progression fights due to the higher EH advantage other than the mentioned Lich King scenario and possibly Sindragosa (although resist gear may be better on that fight than the 4-set as well in terms of avoiding burst.)

I figure by the time I will naturally get 3 tokens, I'll have so many badges I won't really know what to do with them anyway and be able to snatch up the 4-set for its potential situational advantages in hardmodes.

Edit: It's also worth noting that the uberprogression guilds are the ones that don't care about this at all. They will have access to 277 tokens soon--or already do. As the 277 items are arguably the best in slot, it makes sense for them to have the 264 items already as they will want to upgrade as soon as possible. For guilds where the 277 tokens are a very long way off, that is a different scenario.
    Last edited by Kojiyama; 02-12-2010 at 06:26 AM.

I've got no doubt in my mind that the warrior 4p bonus is quite strong, but inorder to rival other CDs out there you need to either use it whenever it's up or have fights where such CDs are an incredible help - Sindragosa breath, phase 2-3 switch at putricide, raid wide damage spikes etc.
    Personally i'm going for it since there's little to none tradeoff compared to getting offset pieces. With the armor buff to t10 chest/gloves the raw mitigation and thus EH value of those items vs. the equivalent badge items are so small i i can't see the reason behind not getting the 4set bonus from tier10. In my case i'm loosing out on Pillars of Might which are quite nice. But as said i'm getting the 4p bonus + a more balanced overall piece of pants.

+ Reply to Thread