+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bonebreaker Scepter

Bonebreaker Scepter

Just picked up Bonebreaker Scepter - Item - World of Warcraft last night in ICC 10. Wondering what your thoughts on how it compares to Crusader's Glory - Item - World of Warcraft.

I was previously using the (H)Crusader's glory with an Accuracy enchant. The hit on Bonebreaker allows me to replace that for another. What I'm wondering is an enchant along the lines of Blood Draining or Mongoose enough to compensate for the loss of 552 armor and a gem slot.

I got it last night and it's obviously a big upgrade to the last laugh that I've been using for the past 10 months but I'd rate it as not as good as either of the ToGC10 weapons. Wish it were an axe.

Why isn't it better? you're looking at an iLvl 251 tanking sword, which is a baseline nasty threat upgrade. The only thing it loses over ToC's sword is the armor.

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    Why isn't it better? you're looking at an iLvl 251 tanking sword, which is a baseline nasty threat upgrade. The only thing it loses over ToC's sword is the armor.
    Did you miss that the ToGC10 weapon has a socket and bonebreaker doesnt?

-522 armor, -14 stam. It also has -16 strength which kinda makes the increased dps of bone a wash.

The scepter has 11 more dps, 16 less str, 14 less stam, 5 more defense, 26 more dodge and 39 hit instead of 522 armor.

The sole selling point in Glory over the scepter is the 522 armor and 14 stam. The scepter is better on everything else. You're trading EH for avoidance and gaining (lots of)threat on the way up.

You're trading EH for avoidance
    Yep, and there isn't a single boss that we've seen where it makes sense to choose avoidance over EH, unless you're tanking anub adds.

Saurfang.
    Or, given the fact much, MUCH more of the damage in ICC can be avoided in comparison to ToC, the entirety of ICC.

Like Kazey said in another thread, on Saurfang there is always the other tank to take him off of you. Avoiding one or two isn't going to have that much impact on the encounter, only increasing the amount of time it gives the other tank to taunt him.

And like someone responded in that other thread: An avoidance tank on Saurfang will reduced the amount of damage going out to people with Mark of the Fallen Champion.

Crusader's Glory is also .2 seconds faster. So, heroic strike.
    Bihn | <Summit>
    Seatbelts.

On normal mode Saurfang though you might might only dodge 1-3 hits before the other tanks taunts if you are using extra avoidance so it really isn't going to make a whole lot of difference. In heroic mode perhaps depending on how his BP system is made we could see the avoidance getting very useful for him.

I'm referring to this ability: Mark of the Fallen Champion - Spell - World of Warcraft . A tank switch has no effect on the outgoing damage to a player with Mark of the Fallen Champion (unless the other tank has super avoidance levels!)

Once Mark is up, gearing for max stam is immediately less than ideal. Sure, YOU can take more hits, but if you are sacrificing avoidance for stamina, you are causing more raid damage. The more melee swings you avoid, the less BP he gains from Marked targets and the less healing they require.
    Bihn | <Summit>
    Seatbelts.

That's true, especially once that is up and he hits his soft enrage it could do a lot of damage. But that being said on normal mode it is only going to make a very small difference considering he can be tanked by just giving your self a higher EH pool. On heroic avoidance on Saurfang and Gunship captain tanking while shine.

If there are a number of Marked targets, it becomes a pretty big issue. 4 people taking a substantial chunk of damage every time a tank is hit (in addition to the random AoE already going on) starts to be a strain on healers.

He can be tanked with a higher EH, but that does nothing to reduce the raid damage going out. Towards the end of the encounter, avoiding a hit prevents damage from hitting the tank and the raid members who have Mark of the Fallen Champion. In this same situation, EH is only helping the tank.
    Last edited by Bihn; 12-10-2009 at 04:23 PM. Reason: spelling
    Bihn | <Summit>
    Seatbelts.

HEALTH is only helping the tank, EH depending on how you factor it, STILL helps the players, stacking armor to reduce the damage taken HELPS the raid. Please be technically correct when using terms.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Kaze, I had considered mentioning that point, but when I was reviewing the spell info on Wowhead I stopped. The wording leads me to believe that the damage is applied directly to the marked target. See:

Mark of the Fallen Champion
    Causes Deathbringer Saurfang's melee attacks to splash to this target, inflicting 6175 to 6825 additional Physical damage.

Seems to me that only Marked targets' armor will be taken into account. I stand by the terminology I used originally.
    Bihn | <Summit>
    Seatbelts.

I have to agree that avoidance is better for saurfang, especially considering that if you get hit multiple times in a row and kill someone, and if someone dies he heals for 5%, during the soft enrage this could be a very serious issue.

I do also agree that normal is lulzy and it doesn't really matter.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

I too picked this up (only an hour or so ago)! I'm pretty excited. It was a huge upgrade from Titanguard

I never got crap for tank drops in ToC. lol

So far my guild has not had a 258 togc tank sword drop. I'm currently using the heroic crusader's glory and I would LOVE to replace it with this new mace. The loss in EH sucks, but for the time being nothing really warrants me wearing my absolute max survival gear. I'll gladly take the boost in threat/dps for now.

I still think that Heroic Crusader's Glory is a much better weapon than the normal version of Bonebreaker Scepter.

If you are trying to stack avoidance, Blood and Glory/Honor of the Fallen from Anub-10H is better. If you're looking for overall survival and EH, Crusader's Glory is better.

If you don't have one of those weapons, perhaps it's an option but it isn't particularly great at anything specifically and is worse than both Anub-10H options IMO.

But, really, we're talking 0.2% difference in avoidance here, so neither one is going to make much of a difference for Saurfang. We're talking a difference between him getting something like 1/5th of an additional attack in over the duration of the fight. Given that he can actually do a lot of damage when at high RP, I would personally say survival is more important.
    Maintainer of Rawr.ProtWarr theorycrafting tool. Feel free to PM suggestions or feature requests!

+ Reply to Thread